Author Topic: Need suggestions on finishing a bag  (Read 1091 times)

Offline lost arrow 801

Need suggestions on finishing a bag
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:57:34 AM »
This is my 3rd bag so far amd im pleased with how its turning out , but im not sure how i should finish the flap? How is the lining stitched on the flap?

Offline lost arrow 801

Re: Need suggestions on finishing a bag
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:59:29 AM »
Also when i was turing it inside out i got some wrinkles in it. Is there a way to avoid this or fix it?

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
Arrow , I hate to tell you this but before you sew it up you should have glued the lining to your pouch body. I use a contact cement or some kind of carpenter white glue. spread the glue on the flesh side of your leather and if you have a brayer or some kind of roller, smooth out the cloth and get out all of the wrinkles. From what I can see of your photo's all is not lost.  The flap cloth can still be glued to the flap. If you are going to leave the flap as it is shown, spread on your glue and attach your cloth, smooth it out and press it with a weight until the glue is set.
I suggest that you look at some pouches and find you a design for your flap and just copy what you like. I sometimes saddle stitch around the edge of the flap and cut the lining about 3/4 of an inch around the edge and fray out the material leaving a fringe. If you want it a little shorter just trim it to your liking.
If you don't have them I suggest you get Tim Albert's book on creating hunting pouches or Ken Scotts DVD on Recreating the Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch. I have both of them and they are a world of information.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
Lost Arrow.

I don't recall gluing mine in place, but I just stitched through both the lining and the flap, leaving the lining showing  a little.
I'd seen one like this in Madison Grant's book I believe.  Been a Long time!
The one I rough copied had the lining frayed out as a sort of short fringe.

Offline lost arrow 801

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
That is some great work my friend. Is that elk skin?

Thanks for posting

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
When I lined the flap of one I made, I wasn't sure about the best way to do it either so I used a light coat of spray adhesive to hold the lining in place while I sewed a bound edge on the flap. I didn't line the whole bag, but if I did, I would have probably used the spray adhesive to hold the liner on the leather and sewed the bag together and then turned it inside out. I'm sure one of the expert leather workers will weigh in, there's several here that do excellent work and offer great advice. I think your work looks good so far.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
Lostv arrow,

Leather came from a Salvation Army thrift  shop.  Seems cow hide , (split maybe) and Veg tanned. I got a good half hide..... for $5.00 !
Pleased you like it.