Author Topic: Squirrel rifle  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Rawhide Rick

Squirrel rifle
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:27:41 AM »
I recently purchased a 32cal flint gun that has been hanging on a friends wall since I've known him.  He bought the gun in Kentucky in the early 1970's and hasn't fired it since the early 1980's.  The makers name, Michael Rich II, is on the top barrel flat.  I can't find any info on the builder, is anyone familiar with him?  It's a well made, poor boy style, gun.

Asking for pics will challenge my skills significantly.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
The 70's is a long time ago now, you'll be lucky if anyone remembers the maker unless he was prolific and made lots of guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:08:11 AM »
Rick:

Do you have any idea where in KY your friend bought this rifle ?  Are you solid on the date of purchase being early 70's ?
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:31:05 AM »
Time frame is good, very early 1970's.  He was staying near Bowlengreen (not sure if I spelled that properly).  I don't think he remembers the exact date.

I will try to get more details next time I talk to him.

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 03:52:23 AM »
Just got off the phone.  Still early 70's, but purchased from a name unknown gun shop in Louisville Ky.  He was staying with family in Bowlengreen. 

I was hoping the maker had a few guns out there and someone might know him or know of him.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
 ??? ???... If he was a Kain-tuk-ee builder in the late '60's -'70's, the House boys or Hankler would know of him,....

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
??? ???... If he was a Kain-tuk-ee builder in the late '60's -'70's, the House boys or Hankler would know of him,....

Exactly what I was going to say..... I can ask some of my AMM brothers from KY if they have ever heard of him also, if needed.  The name does vaguely sound familiar to me but then, I am old ya know.....
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »
Any connections you guys have would be appreciated.  Took some pics but it's hard to see the signature even in good light.  Hopefully the pics work.  It's the bottom gun in photo of 5 on the rack.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
I have a rifle from the same era, not much reference material to go by back then apparently and builders would "wing it" and make whatever came to mind.

My rifle has some odd attributes as does yours, my lock panel is different to say the least as is yours. My rifle has a Bill Large barrel and a Roller lock, it was given to me by a dying friend, it is undoubtedly the best gift I have ever been given. There is plenty of wood to rework the awkward parts of this rifle to be more correct but I love it warts and all and wouldn't change a thing. Many, many deer have died when it was pointed their way.

The tigger is a single set and started malfunctioning, I reinletted the trigger to correct the impingement. While I was at it I inletted the trigger guard correctly after this picture was taken. While removing the trigger guard I found the builder had used finishing nails for pins and left the heads on, they didn't come out easily. I had to do some chip repair after I got them out.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:07:56 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
Looks like a nice gun.  In my photos, the percussion gun just above the squirrel rifle is a Bill Large gun, 4 J's on the barrel.  Never shot it but they look so good on the wall. 

I'm tempted to pull the lock from the squirrel gun to see if there are any identifiers on it.  Hopefully someone will recognize the builder.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
I had only shot TC flintlocks up until the time I shot the above rifle for the first time. The TCs were click, wosh, boom, this gun went boom so fast I couldn't even flinch. All my TC stuff was for sale after that first shot. The best thing about this gun is no matter what I put in it it will shoot a cloverleaf at 50 yards.

The barrel is a .44 but thas been shot so much over the last 50 years that is closer to .45 now. The friend who gave it to me said it had 50K shots through it , he put a pound of powder a week through it for years shooting 30 gr target loads.

You should shoot the Bill Large barreled gun, if it is like mine it is capable of some amazing things. My barrel is choke bored, no doubt about it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »

speaking of which

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 01:52:59 AM »
 :D :D... Yep,... a load of Kain-Tuk-ee talent and knowledge standing right there,.... !!!......     

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 03:12:08 AM »
:D :D... Yep,... a load of Kain-Tuk-ee talent and knowledge standing right there,.... !!!......     
And Frank with a cheap beer!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
Eric Krewson- its cold shooting in the adirondacks right now but a local club starts their woods walk matches in January.  I'll be shooting something then.

As for the photo, I've never had the pleasure of meeting any of the 3 gentlemen in the pic or mentioned above.  I'm guessing they don't get to upstate NY very much.  If anyone knows those boys well enough to mention the builder of my gun, that would be great.  Hopefully they have an idea who he is.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 08:09:40 AM »
Here is a business email for Mel Hankla:

melhankla@amhiss.com
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 03:02:05 AM »
Thank you.  I'll post any info I get in response from him.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 03:51:52 AM »
Rick, I hope that your hunt for the builder is successful.

Eric Krewson, that rifle that your friend gifted you may have some flaws, but that is a beautiful piece of wood.  And as long as it shoots well, the bumps don't matter much.  I hope that one of my creations would look as nice.  I've built plenty of "modern" type rifles, but this will be my first flintlock build - and I hope it comes out even half as nice as your gift.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 04:19:39 AM »
If that one were mine I’d be inclined to give it an update.  By stripping off the old green Chromium trioxide stain, thinning down the lock panels, maybe put a banana box over the large grease cut out, redoing the butt shape, or perhaps adding a butplate, and restain and finish.  It’s a nice foundation for an upgrade. 

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »
One more project for the "after I retire list.  That's a couple years down the road.  I don't think I'll do anything to it while my friend is still around.  Took forever to get him to part with it, And I'm working on getting him to part with a few othe guns that he made the mistake of letting me see.

I'm getting anxious for January and our woods walk shoots, but this 32 caliber may be too small for the gong targets.  I'm lucky if I hear the 45 clang when I hit the target.

I did email Hankla last night, waiting for a response.

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 04:44:36 AM »
Bad news.  Mr. Hankla was not familiar with the builder.  Maybe not a Kentucky builder or only made a few guns, or even just this one.