Author Topic: Slug gun questions  (Read 2343 times)

Offline WKevinD

Slug gun questions
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »
I would like to start to learn about muzzleloading slug guns/ bench guns/ heavy barreled bullet guns and don't know where to start. Anybody have reading or resource suggestions?
They are just another fascinating muzzleloading branch of the longrifle tree I'd like find out about.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Longknife

Re: Slug gun questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
There is chapter in "The Muzzle-loading Cap Lock Rifle", Roberts,  Chapter VI " The Target Rifle and Target Shooting"....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
"The Muzzle loading caplock rifle" by Ned Roberts is a good place to start.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »
Another option would be to go to a match where they shoot those guns and ask questions and observe. Only ask questions when there is a cease fire and the shooter isnt trying to concentrate on his "game". If your in the area the AZWINS shoot in Arizona is coming up the end of Feb. and there you could do that plus shoot a lot of other types of matches also. I will be there doing range officer duty on the bench/slug gun range on some of the six days of shooting and would help anyway I could. You can send me a pm if you need any other info.  :)

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:00:03 AM »
Thanks Smylee if I could get to Arizona from NE PA I'd be there but it's a bit of a drive I have looked for and not found any local matches (or intrest) in slug gun or Schutzen in my area. I know just being a muzzleloader addict puts me in a minority but now I am stepping off into the deep end.
I'll have to pull out Ned Roberts if I still have my copy.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
You mite look up  Canal Fulton in Ohio I know that club use to do a lot of slug gun shoots. I haven’t been their in years.
David Veith

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 12:48:45 AM »
 Canal Fulton slug match schedule 2019
May 10, 11, 12 starts at 10:00 am
Sept. 29 blackpowder cartridge vs. muzzleloader match starts 10:00 am.

Dave

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »

Canal Fulton shoot schedule

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »
I own several
4 of my favorite ones are bob Morris guns

This is a great read from muzzle blast

How to tune a slug gun

https://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol4no2/articles/mbo42-4.shtml

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »
Plastikosmd...Many thanks for resurrecting that incredible article and sharing it with us.
There’s too much valuable information in it for a cursory reading to tell me much more than I need to re-read it several times and TAKE NOTES..!!
I don’t shoot slug guns but the work the author reports has many lessons for even a simple longrifle “ roundball” shooter like myself can apply.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »
You’re  welcome
Agree, special place in my heart due to my Morris rifles used and the logical approach taken in the article

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:37:17 PM »
Ned Roberts has a real good book, I like that cap like rifle book!!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 11:43:03 PM »
With your interest in slug guns, you may like these links about slug guns used at the National Shoot:

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/blackpowder-slug-guns-precision-paper-punching-machinery/

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/blackpowder-slug-guns-the-mitchell-gun/

The last article is about one of the largest slug guns known to exist.  We know of three slug guns that weighed 100 lbs or over.  This is the last one to be fired at Friendship.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
1,785gr. Slug!  That's 585gr. heavier than the heaviest the adjustable mound casts, that I made for my hunting rifle. No, I did not shoot them that heavy. The lightest at 580gr. kicked more than enough in the 9 1/2 pound rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 02:54:18 AM »
Call Dixon’s for information on the Shartelsburg pa club. They either do some bench rest shooting or have members that do. The fellows that hand rifle the barrel each year at the gunmakers fair are bench shooters. BJH
BJH

Offline RichG

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 04:10:43 AM »
The old "Muzzle Loading shooting and Winning with the Champions" has a chapter on slug guns and also benchrest round ball shooting. I've seen copies on Ebay now and again.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »
Was that book by the late TK Dawson?
I know I used to have it - must have loaned it to someone.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 01:27:16 AM »
BGH suggests calling Dixon for info on the Blue Mountain Muzzle Loading Rifle Association near Shartlesville, PA.

That group has a web site.  They have been shooting slug guns for years.  One of the oldest clubs around.  The range is to the West of Hamburg PA.  A few of the older club members set up the barrel rifling display at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair.  Good guys to deal with.

So it depends on where you live.