Author Topic: Long Range Hunting, 400yd round ball  (Read 11662 times)

Eagle92

Re: Long Range Hunting, 400yd round ball
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »
Alacran:
 By my interpretation of the CO ml requirements, a cannon cannon should perfectly legal.
Genius!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2018, 12:37:52 AM »
My grandad who was a hunter his entire life always said long range hunting shots were mostly taken by hunters that didn’t know how to hunt.

Hungry Horse

I've taken a lot of flak for saying that over the years. I'd also add that long shots are shooting and close shots are hunting.

Exactly the reason I hunt big game, but when we go for gophers, we go shooting gophers. It's all about the range. There is not much more fun to be had, than to call a big bull moose in to within 15 feet of you, whether you are hunting moose or just playing with them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2018, 12:42:54 AM »
Agree on calling Moose. I always had more fun calling moose than elk. When you call a big bull in you dont look at him you look up at him.  ;D  :)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:22 AM »
My grandad who was a hunter his entire life always said long range hunting shots were mostly taken by hunters that didn’t know how to hunt.

Hungry Horse

I've taken a lot of flak for saying that over the years. I'd also add that long shots are shooting and close shots are hunting.

Exactly the reason I hunt big game, but when we go for gophers, we go shooting gophers. It's all about the range. There is not much more fun to be had, than to call a big bull moose in to within 15 feet of you, whether you are hunting moose or just playing with them.

I agree with that. Long range coyote hunting is fun.

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »
Eagle 92, you seem to be drawn to only the lock itself, where most seek the entire package - patched round ball, blackpowder, the accoutrements, etc.. Could you elaborate on this

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
Eagle 92, you seem to be drawn to only the lock itself, where most seek the entire package - patched round ball, blackpowder, the accoutrements, etc.. Could you elaborate on this

His quest sounds to me like it's 100% motivated by a special hunting season (to wit: CO's M/L big game) and that he's ready to attempt anything to make any gun that fits the rules of that special season work,

by whatever extraordinary or non-traditional means possible, to attempt to fill a big game tag in that special season.

I could be wrong, but if you glance around you'll see that the OP has posted nowhere else on this site, and that's a truly difficult task for those interested in muzzleloaders for their own special goodness (that is once they come out of lurker status with that first post).
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
Similar thing happened up here with the Primitive Moose Hunt. Many people bought cheap ml's just to get another month's hunting extension to hopefully fill their freezers.
They used conical slugs in round ball twist barrels  then "graduated" to an inline gun when they were introduced, just so they could easily mount scopes. Ultimately, these "hunters" lost moose that eventually died when shot with tumbling (after impact) unstable bullets, as well as those shot (poorly) with jacketed pistol bullets  caused the closure of that hunting season. The game branch would over fly the area  find dead moose, then land and cut them open to find the bullets. They came to the conclusion ML's were not powerful enough to kill & retrieve moose. One of the officers  told us (Taylor, Brad &myself) this sad story of lost moose, that happened every year. He also noted that most trucks checked that year,  had 3 "hunters", sharing 1 bolt-actioned ML but also having a .30/06 or .300 mag "for wolves". He said "THAT IS THE LAST STRAW". There will be no special moose hunt next year.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:03:18 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
Hard to keep it pure.
Andover, Vermont

Eagle92

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
Sweeney

sorry about the slow response, this blog isn't alerting me when someone responds.
I really love most styles of guns.
I have found that for me, the flinters have some sort of magic that the cappers don't have.
I need a shorter gun in the southern IN woods, but  I prefer the long guns.

I also prefer the round ball.

Love the accouterments, but.... I finally had to abandon my hunting pouch in deer season. The bag is 3 times bigger than the contents and has to go over a heavy coat.  3 tubes (this should draw some fire) and a short starter in one pocket, all the tools in a small bag in the other pocket.

As for the traditional hunting garb,  doing my best to avoid that for now.  Love it, want it, but it's $1000 to get dressed.  Going to have moccasins made from this year's elk hide. 

Eagle92

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2019, 06:37:04 PM »

His quest sounds to me like it's 100% motivated by a special hunting season (to wit: CO's M/L big game) and that he's ready to attempt anything to make any gun that fits the rules of that special season work,

by whatever extraordinary or non-traditional means possible, to attempt to fill a big game tag in that special season.

I could be wrong, but if you glance around you'll see that the OP has posted nowhere else on this site, and that's a truly difficult task for those interested in muzzleloaders for their own special goodness (that is once they come out of lurker status with that first post).

Right on Wade!
This started as a simple question. Could a 400yd RB rifle be built? Nope!
Make it a slug gun, and Boy Howdy you'd better have your stuff together!
300yds slug should be doable if prepared, really prepared.

As for lurker status,  In the past I have had buddies ask for parts exc. on here.
I have some pretty heavy hitters as my mentors/go to guys regarding most matters BP.
But when I come up with a screw ball question like this, they referred me to the "community" because they have little long range experience.

Thanks again to everyone!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
  Eagle92 it's been my experience that the muzzle of a big bore muzzleloader pretty much blocks a deer size animal at that range. That and a R.B. Very poor trajectory, wind drift and loss of velosity. Plus penetration.  But that's just my opinion.  Others may very...   I have to much respect for any game animal to risk wounding it just for the challenge.   Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:30 AM »
  Eagle92 it's been my experience that the muzzle of a big bore muzzleloader pretty much blocks a deer size animal at that range. That and a R.B. Very poor trajectory, wind drift and loss of velosity. Plus penetration.  But that's just my opinion.  Others may very...   I have to much respect for any game animal to risk wounding it just for the challenge.   Oldtravler

I don't aim that way - I drop the breech, (or hold the front sight over the rear - same thing) and put the bead or blade on the 'target' to be hit.  If you cover the game with the barrel, you don't know what it's doing while you are aiming.
Of course round ball at 400yards is not sane.
On the other hand, when my .69 was first built, in 1986, my third leaf was filed perfectly for the 300 meter 3" diameter gong. That's 328.1yards, rounded.
Taylor & LB hit it first attempt, but refused a second shot.  The powder charge was 165gr. 2F GOEX, with the 482gr. ball.  I only missed that gong once out of a bunch of shots (some rested), hitting the cross-piece 2x4. The ball knocked out a piece of spruce 2x4 board 6" long and 3 1/2" height off the back side. That was fairly impressive.  It would certainly do for a deer at that range, but silly to attempt such a shot on an ungulate.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
Sweeney

sorry about the slow response, this blog isn't alerting me when someone responds.
I have found that for me, the flinters have some sort of magic that the cappers don't have.

Love the accouterments, but.... I finally had to abandon my hunting pouch in deer season. The bag is 3 times bigger than the contents and has to go over a heavy coat.  3 tubes (this should draw some fire) and a short starter in one pocket, all the tools in a small bag in the other pocket.

As for the traditional hunting garb,  doing my best to avoid that for now.  Love it, want it, but it's $1000 to get dressed.  Going to have moccasins made from this year's elk hide.

Hey Eagle92

This is a forum, not the same as a blog, but yes there's no notification system.  Do check out the search feature and the many years of experience already laid down here for others to learn from.

The guns _will_ shoot that far.  But for targets not for critters.  That's the difference, and it's a big one.

Don't think you cannot use a long gun in the deep heavy thick stuff.  It's actually much easier to handle than a scoped sporter. There's never an optical thingie blocking a center-of-balance grip, there's never a telescope or sling hanging on brush/vines/briars,  and the great length lets me use the gun as a staff in on steeps. That's something that is simply unsafe with short little guns.  After a day or two in the woods with a nice LONG rifle, I've never ever wanted a shorter one. 

The trick is to carry the gun long ways not crossways!  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
Sweeney

Hey Eagle92

This is a forum, not the same as a blog, but yes there's no notification system.  Do check out the search feature and the many years of experience already laid down here for others to learn from.

The guns _will_ shoot that far.  But for targets not for critters.  That's the difference, and it's a big one.

Don't think you cannot use a long gun in the deep heavy thick stuff.  It's actually much easier to handle than a scoped sporter. There's never an optical thingie blocking a center-of-balance grip, there's never a telescope or sling hanging on brush/vines/briars,  and the great length lets me use the gun as a staff in on steeps. That's something that is simply unsafe with short little guns.  After a day or two in the woods with a nice LONG rifle, I've never ever wanted a shorter one. 

The trick is to carry the gun long ways not crossways!  ;D

Wade is correct that this is a forum and not a blog but there is a way to notify the user when a new post is made to a topic. Look for the "Notify" button beside the "Reply". If you set this flag you will receive notification when a new reply is made to this topic.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson