Author Topic: Hawken Marked Full-Stock Kentucky Conversion Percussion Rifle  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Hawken Marked Full-Stock Kentucky Conversion Percussion Rifle
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
https://historical.ha.com/itm/long-guns/hawken-marked-full-stock-kentucky-conversion-percussion-rifle/a/6194-40039.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

The piece in the above link will be in the Dec. 9 auction of items from the J.M. Davis gun museum in Claremore, OK.  Details on the auction are here:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=51901.0

Which one of the Hawken family do you suppose made this gun?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Hawken Marked Full-Stock Kentucky Conversion Percussion Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
Hi Ron,
Sam and Jake's father?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
Hi Ron,
Sam and Jake's father?

dave

The missing link?? I noticed flat barrel retainers.How is it matked? Does it have initials
before the Hawken name.Whoever made this gun was obviously an experienced maker
and further research is a must.

Bob Roller

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 03:10:28 AM »
Perhaps Christian at Hagerstown MD.  The boys father..... or made by him and altered later to percussion by someone else.

Just a thought
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:50:33 AM »
Perhaps Christian at Hagerstown MD.  The boys father..... or made by him and altered later to percussion by someone else.

Just a thought

If I remember correctly he signed his Christian Hawken.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:23:01 AM »
Somewhat unusual to have a stamped signature on a rifle of that timeframe?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:41:58 AM »
Rich:

You are right .... but I wonder where the St. Louis boys got their stamp from........

Just a thought
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Online Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Sam & Jake had another brother "William" who was also a gunsmith.  My guess is that this rifle was made by William.
Joel Hall

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »
A Hawken stamp always attracts a lot of interest. As far as where J&S got their stamp, I assume anywhere stamps were made. Stamps seem to have become commonly used by many makers all over by 1825 or so. So it seems likely stamps could be ordered. They certainly can be now, and in the 1980s and onward a good many contemporary rifles have been stamped with a facsimile of the original Hawken stamps.
Andover, Vermont

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 07:33:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was made by Sam and Jake's brother "William" in Maryland . He signed his name several ways . It also has his classic bobbed triggers and several features done by William .

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:13 PM »
This rifle does have some similarities to  Willliam Hawkens work.  Mine was stamped W HAWKEN
  With no more than these pictures to go on, it could have been made by Sam while in Ohio.

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:11:42 PM »
In Arms Makers of Maryland by Daniel D. Hartzler and published by George Shumway, is a detailed family tree of "Hawken Family of Gunsmiths".  The family tree was compiled by George Shumway and Glen R. Scott & Juanita M. Scott.  Juanita Scott is descended from John Hawken of Hagerstown, a son of Christian Hawken, Sr.  At the time the book was published, the researchers had found fifteen members of the Hawken family that were gunsmiths.

As others have mentioned, Jacob and Samuel had a brother named William that was a gunsmith.  He took over his father's gunshop in Hagerstown when the father died.  Several rifles are known with "W. HAWKEN" marked on the barrel and are thought to have been made by William Hawken of Hagerstown.

There was another branch of the Hawken family that was in Springfield, Ohio.  These likely were descendants of Nicholas Hawken, brother of Christian, Sr.  A Henry Hawken died in Springfield, Ohio on April 15, 1835.  He appears to have moved to Ohio around 1815 from Westmoreland County, PA.  His connection to the Hagerstown Hawken family is not well documented, but family tradition has Hagerstown as their place of origin.  Henry Hawken was a gunsmith and may have been a son of Nicholas Hawken.  Henry Hawken had at least two sons that were gunsmiths, John Hawken and Daniel Turney Hawken.  Several rifles are known with "D. T. HAWKEN" marked on the barrel and a few with "H. HAWKEN" and "J. HAWKEN".  Jim Gordon has one of each in his collection and published pictures of them in his book Great Gunmakers for the Early West.

Gordon also has in his collection several rifles marked "W. HAWKEN", one marked "C. HAWKEN", one marked "C. & J. HAWKEN" and one marked "S. HAWKEN".  All these rifles are of the Hagerstown school in architecture and mounts and thought to be the products of Christian, Sr., and sons Jacob, Samuel, and William.  Below is a picture of these rifles.

The top three are marked "W. HAWKEN".  The fourth one down is marked "C. & J. HAWKEN".  The fifth one down is marked "S. HAWKEN".  It should be noted that the "W. HAWKEN" marks are stamped in block letters.  The "C. & J. HAWKEN" and "S. HAWKEN" are engraved in script.

The subject rifle is very similar to these five rifles.

Interestingly, the patch box on the subject rifle is most like the ones on the "C. & J. HAWKEN" and "S. HAWKEN" rifles shown below.

The engraved eagle inlay on the cheekpiece of the subject rifle is very similar to one on the "C. & J. HAWKEN" marked rifle.

The auction site doesn't show a photo of the "HAWKEN" name on the barrel of the gun, and the description doesn't say whether the name is engraved in script or stamped in block letters.  That information might help in attributing the rifle to one of the brothers.

With the meager info on the auction site, I might lean towards either Jacob or Samuel as maker of subject rifle, but William is still a possibility.
Phil Meek

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 11:54:01 PM »
Stamps seem to have become commonly used by many makers all over by 1825 or so. So it seems likely stamps could be ordered.

My point exactly......

It would seem now, in this thread, we have a much greater depth of info then we started with. 

Thanks to all that have contributed to this point.
Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
AMM 761
CLA

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
William marked his rifles in both script and individual block letters . I have examined rifles of both types . However all of them that I've examined have the same style triggers .