Author Topic: Decision Made  (Read 2954 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Decision Made
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
I've decided a few things while mulling it over the last couple of weeks.

The first decision is this will be my only muzzleloader or hunting forum from now on. Too bad guys you're stuck with me.

The second decision is i'm going to try to do everything PC for my shooting and hunting. This will change quite a  few things for me. I've been doing traditional but certainly not PC. Like ball boards, loaded tubes to just name two This will require carrying more like horn, patching material, patch knife, powder measure, ball bag to just replace those two items. Anyway, i'll be working on it over winter.

I think i'm going to feel better about this and I know it will be more fun.

Fred Hembree

Re: Decision Made
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
To each his own...I was talking with a muzzleloader friend this week who really likes to use historically correct rifles for hunting but then added “accouterments aren’t my thing.”  For me...I like some of the old school accouterments but then again, I also wear a wrist watch and modern clothing. How far we go in being PC as you call it, I suppose is up to the individual. The main thing to me is your last sentence...where you say, “I know it will be more fun.”  Yep...that’s it...enjoy your black powder endeavors. 

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »
Concur with your approach and that is the way I would like to do it except can’t do moccasins. To much of a tender foot for that.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »
Concur with your approach and that is the way I would like to do it except can’t do moccasins. To much of a tender foot for that.

I agree. I tried the moc thing for a while. Too much slipping and falling. I have Osteoporosis and any kind of fall means a broken bone. So, it's back to boots for me.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
HC/PC is sure fun, but in some states (IL for instance) there is an orange requirement.  It is for safety and I can not disagree with that.....

Just a thought....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 07:56:19 PM »
Yes, I need to wear blaze orange here. Something I don't understand. The archery season runs from the last week in August to the 3rd week in Sept. The muzzleloader season runs around the 2 week of Sept for 9 days.

So, during the muzzleloader season the bow hunters are hunting too. Yet, only the muzzleloader hunters have to wear blaze orange. Bow hunters can sneak around unseen but muzzy hunters can't do the same thing.

It makes no sense to me. Most bow hunters are taking longer shots then me if they're using a compound.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Before this goes too far. I'm not talking about being PC/HC for everything involved like i'd run into at a rendezvous. If I go to one it will just be for the shoot.

I' basically talking about all connected with the gun cleaning and shooting during club shoots and hunting. Or just going for a woods walk shooting knot holes in dead trees. Pretty much all the time.

Since i'm in the Rockies and do love the Hawken style rifle. Let's say plains rifle a better description than Hawken. That's what i'll be using. Since it will be a half stock it will also be a caplock. I know I should use a flintlock. I want to but it doesn't fit.

I have a LH GPR in .54 coming to me soon. I'd like to rework it to look more of a period look including a worn look. Take off all the bluing for sure and give it an aged browned finish. reshape the stock and change to a more period trigger guard. Maybe something with the lock but being a LH makes it harder.

Then of course work on a much better kit.

Online MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
OldMtnMan:
You are spot on with this post.
If you want to carry a "flinter" to trail walks, club shoots or day hunting like I do part of the fun is doing it as close to the way it was done in the days your rifle portrays. First thing dump everything out of your bag and only put in what is required. Balls, patching material or pre-cut patches, (the pre-lubed go in your patch box). A patch knife on your bag or over your neck, a nipple pick, and a small leather pack for spare flints, flint leather, worm, jag, and turn screw. If you are not using spit patches and use oil or grease (like I do) a small or container for the oil or grease. Now once you see how much space is left in the bag you will see why the bags of old were much smaller than the ones most people carry. If you are portraying the "Mountain Man" of the Rockies they did carry more as there was no way to resupply if the pack mule got away. But for the most of us think "less is more". With the left over space a small cloth with some jerky rolled up in it would work for me, leave the snickers bar at home unless you have blood sugar issues.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
I'm past the breech clout days, now.  Was a time, though.

My leggins don't fit any more.  ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
Fat calves? :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
HC/PC is sure fun, but in some states (IL for instance) there is an orange requirement.  It is for safety and I can not disagree with that.....

Just a thought....

Most of the hunters around here think the orange makes you into an easy target.

Bob Roller

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
No kidding. Especially in the rifle seasons.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 11:52:06 PM »

Frank, I wear moccasins instead of boots nowadays because of my tender feet, or go barefoot if it’s not frosty. My feet (with multiple issues) can’t stand any pressure so I have to buy my shoes too big and you know what happens if you walk very far in loose fitting shoes; blisters. So I hunt in mocs or barefoot. I do find I can move more quietly and surprisingly find the cold isn’t that bad. Barefoot in snow is tolerable but walking through frosty fields feels much colder. Feet get wet eventually in moccasins but wool liners and wool socks keep them warm enough.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 12:16:33 AM »
I agree that boots aren't very quiet. I have to put extra effort to stay quiet.

On a second thought. Falling down in mocs isn't very quiet either. ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »
I've gone the opposite way. For many years I was all traditional in all aspects. Now I don't own any old timey clothes and when hunting I wear a vest with big pockets and all my shooting materials go in the pockets. Now my shooting bag isn't caught on everything and trying to hang me by the neck! Pre made loads are very handy and quick, for both shotgun and rifle, although I don't always use them. Most times I carry a small flat horn of powder that may hold a dozen shots worth of powder. Lubed patches and ball are in a Ted Cash brass hinge lidded box. All very easy to carry in a pocket and quick to use. Shot gunning I have found works well with two  "Irish" flasks , one with powder and one with shot. A hand full of cards and wads are carried loose in a pocket. All very quick to use.

When I shoot for recreation here at home I have a canvas tool pouch I carry all my shooting junk in to load out of. I don't shoot ML's competitively anymore so the issue between pouch and "tackle box" doesn't come up. I used to look down my nose at folks that shoot ML's the way I do now....times sure have changed!

Mocs…..wouldn't dream of using them ever again, I fall down now all the time with really good foot wear !
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 12:41:11 AM »
Mike.........I guess I just need a change. I've been messing with muzzleloaders since 1980. Not as long as you guys but it seems long to me.

Nothing is as easy as I was doing it. A ball board, tubes with pre-measured loads and some loose musket caps in my vest pocket. Hunting for bear was what was behind it all I wanted a 2nd load as fast as possible. It thinking about it I never really needed it.

Now i'm hunting for mostly cow elk and an occasional deer there's no rush for a 2nd load. I might as well make the whole process more complicated and take my time.

Clothes? Not so much. I'll still look like i'm a hunter from the 1940's in red and black plaid wool. :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »
I started in 1980 as well. Gave up the "primitive" stuff in about '03. I shot strictly ML's until '99, then found out I was missing out on a whole big world of other types of guns. Doesn't much matter what I shoot anymore, it's all fun. I just need to find more time to do it all.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 01:14:39 AM »
I'm lucky when it comes to time. I have more than brains and money. Single now with just a pooch to look after. Fly fishing the summer and hunting in the fall with lots of shooting all the time.

Just wish I was a bit younger to do it all. Oh well, i'll be happy with what I have. I outlived my whole family and most of my friends. At least my dog loves me. :)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:29 AM »
I'm past the breech clout days, now.  Was a time, though.

My leggins don't fit any more.  ;D
Ahhhhhhh yes.them was the days, we was rite sportin in them breech clouts.Ya really had to hve the legs for em!!!
My late Marine bro,Paul,was built like a brick  s---  house. The ladies in camp called him SweetCheeks !!He were a prime specimi of a man,sho nuff.
Best regards,Dave F 8) 8)
I wouldn't dare wear mine to a shoot now, too many of us got weak tickers. lol  8) 8)

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 04:53:34 AM »
I've hunted in my mocs before. Not bad at all.

Well... Until I had to cross the creek. T'was a bit chilly afterwards. ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:30:20 AM by Mike from OK »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 05:04:55 AM »
Getting primitive for a DAY is really not that complicated.  Simplify!  And don't take yourself TOO seriously.  Ya don't have to hand spin your thread.
I've always shot out of a bag, so that parts already done.
Now, sleeping on the ground?  Not anymore.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 07:04:53 AM »
It's rather funny, but I'm no more noisy in the woods wearing boots than any other critter walking in the woods, but my son sounds like a heard of elephants when he used to hunt. Might be a good thing because I could always sneak into the house during my rebellious teen years, but he never could  ;D
Psalms 144

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
Some friends and I do a HC hunt each year in KY. Not a big deal when you  are hunting 170 acres. We do the 2 day early ML hunt. We sleep on the ground. We do a fair amount of lying and drinking. Occasionally we kill deer. Couldn't go this year because of a ticker issue.
Doc appointments interfered.
I will be hunting cow elk in a few weeks here . About the only HC item I will be carrying, is my Bucks County flinter.  I will be wearing what ever keeps me warm.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
Well, just to make everyone shiver,  ;D     There are a few of us who do a primitive hunt/ camp here. All period correct equipment and clothing. I've slept many a night out  under an oil skin tarp, sleeping on the ground wrapped in my witney blankets .  It is more work, but we have found ways to make it fairly comfortable. We even go out for a couple of days in Feb just for the fun of it. We are all in our 60's or early 70's, so I say, if this sort of thing is an interest....go for it !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:51 AM »
I managed to get over the desire to sleep on the ground. This is

my idea of camping now.

Local Rendezvous in June
That's Taylor's tent out in front.

& camping at a primitive lake.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V