Author Topic: Having issues with my new vent liner. Update. Problem solved!  (Read 2593 times)

m1garand_man

Re: Having issues with my new vent liner
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 04:39:46 AM »
Thank you for the refresher on relative powder grain sizes. Apparently I forgot. That reminds me why I must have choosen 1.5f swiss since it was close to 2f goex that I was shooting when I first bought the gun.

I'll have to check my barrel wall thickness at the vent liner hole and compare it to my liner length. My breech plug is stuck and I don't have tools to remove it with out damage. Plus the origional bronze vent was so heavily staked I ended up destroying it trying to remove it and had to drill out the remains.

J.E. Moore

Re: Having issues with my new vent liner
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 05:37:02 AM »
I would compair the wall thickness of the barrel to the length of the liner. I put one in a pedersoli rifle of mine and after getting it the right length on the top and bottom I took a large round file down the center, parallel to the bore, and gave it a cupped profile to match best the powder chamber best I could. You should be able to get it close enough with the breach plug in.

m1garand_man

Re: Having issues with my new vent liner. Problem solved!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »
So, it turned out the chamfering I did on both sides of the vent plus tilting the rifle toward the vent side when charging solved the issue. I never got around to checking how far the new liner protrudes into the bore though I don't think it does from my estimation when I was eyeballing it before I fitted it the first time.

Now the length of the vent from the outside of the barrel to the powder charge is approximately .010". I figured that by marking on my pick and measuring it with my calipers.

Ignition is really fast and I mean REALLY fast as well as 100% reliable.

Thanks for the help everyone!