Author Topic: Tweeners  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Tweeners
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
I’m normally sick of looking at a longrifle for a few days after a build so I try to find something else creative to do. These two pieces were forged from end cuts of an Alabama Damascus billet. I got to spend some quality time with my belt sander and came up with this. The top one is a 3/4 stick tang and the other is a full tang peined over on the backside. I’m not and don’t pretend to be a knife maker but these two projects were fun. They ain’t for sale. One’s going to Ramer and the other stays home.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:02:29 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline sqrldog

Re: Tweeners
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »
Good looking knives Wayne. Ol Hunter is gonna like one of them. He doesn't know it yet. He's the main muzzleloader youngster around.  A good grandson that loves to shoot a muzzleloader.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:20:13 AM »
Good work there! How did you darken the antler?
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:33:07 AM »
Vinegar and tea bags simmered on the wood stove in the shop. I added a bit of fast drying black spray paint for the canyons on the horn then carded back with 4/0 steel wool.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »
Fine looking knives, Wayne. Well balanced and graceful.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »
I like ‘em too. Nice work!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
Nice. I have some sort of mental block or something, I have a box full of knife blades, some rough forged, some ready to handle. For some reason I can't seem to get motivated to complete them.
What do you etch with?
Was that commercially prepared billet or did you weld them up?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
Yes those blades were originally from a billet of Alabama Damascus. I forged them out to my shape.
 I use Archer Etch (Radio Shack) mixed 50/50 with vinegar. It only takes 10 minutes or so to etch. Wipe clean and rinse with water.  I then dipped the blade in ammonia, dry and oil.
David, that 2x72” belt sander sure was a game changer. All I had were files and sandpaper for 30 years. The sander cuts the blade work in half (at least).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:16:39 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »
 :o :o :o..... Wayne,... any time you get sick of looking at one of your rifles, call me,... I'll be glad to look at any of them for a while,... !!!! .... HaHaHa,... btw,... great looking knives,... really like the look and shape,... probably balance really well, too,... regards,... CCF,...  8) 8) 8)

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
Dana look me up at Wheeler. I might find one (knife) with your name on it!! I’m sick of looking at this new build already.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 01:41:00 AM »
Nice work Wayne.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 02:49:20 AM »
 ;) ;) :D... Wayne,... you sure were quick to make that knife part understood,... !!!! ,... HaHaHa.... I believe we will both be easy enough to find,...... !!!,... only a month away,... !!! .... see you there,... CCF ...

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:23 AM »
;) ;) :D... Wayne,... you sure were quick to make that knife part understood,... !!!! ,... HaHaHa.... I believe we will both be easy enough to find,...... !!!,... only a month away,... !!! .... see you there,... CCF ...
I’ll have a fine rifle or two for sale at Wheeler. Maybe a southern iron mounted gun!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
And here's the teener (barely just turned 13) that was the happy recipient of the top tweener knife. Hunter was thrilled with his new damascus knife. Thanks for your generosity Wayne. He'll make good use of it. He's dead set on killing deer with his flint rifle this year. We'll see if he gets to use it on a deer.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
What a fine young man! Let’s hope that he swallows the flintlock hook like his grandpa did!
Thank you for posting!!
Stop Marxism in America