Author Topic: Your opinion of TOW longrifle kits?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
Your opinion of TOW longrifle kits?
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
Chambers and Kibler are the "big names" on here and for good reason, but what is the general consensus on the Track of the Wolf kits?

I've heard some say they're not period correct?

Offline FlintFan

Re: Your opinion of TOW longrifle kits?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
TOW probably offers the widest variety of kits out there, and they vary in level of experience needed.  Their top end kits, the ones with the highest amount of pre-inletting, are going to be comparable to anything offered by Chambers or other suppliers (excluding Kibler who seems to be in a league of his own right now).  There are only a few pantagraph stock carvers in the country, and that handful of carvers supply most of the pre-carved stocks to the industry regardless of who you buy them from. However those patterns vary between suppliers so look for a particular style of rifle you like.

Their lower end kits, those with with minimal inletting and very basic stock shaping will require the builder to have a higher skill set to shape and finish them out. However that may not be a bad thing, since it gives the builder a much wider latitude in picking and placement of parts without relying on pre-determined stock inletting and shape, which can vary a bit with any stock made on a hand operated pantagraph. Many of their lower end part sets are just suggestions on a particular style of rifle, and many of the parts could be swapped out for whatever style the builder was desiring to build. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:33:16 PM by FlintFan »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
If you want a generic profile, TOW will do.  They are kinda generic. You are responsible for making the architecture right.
If you're not sure, it will show.
Chambers kits are architecturally sound.
They will still have the same issues as any other precarve, but usually to a lesser degree..
In that respect, I'd go Chambers.
If you want really easy.... Kibler.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:53:08 PM »
I believe the stocks in TOW's kits are carved by Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply.  I've built 2 of Pecatonica's kits and I was happy with them.  Also agree with the above comments.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »
I bought a second hand TOW kit, like the one other precarve I have used (never used a Chambers) this one has some serious stock issues that will take some extensive work to correct.

Had I bought this kit for TOW it would have been sent back, they are great folk to deal with. As I bought it second hand I am stuck with it and all its flaws.

Spend more money now and have less to deal with later.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Here's my opinion of all longrifles kits as generally compiled with regard to anything TN or "Southern" (as I don't know all the fine points of many other schools), and as they were offered a few years ago when I was perusing them regularly, and with notable exception to Jim Kibler of course, who sells something entirely proper and is in a different class:

Learn the style/school of rifle that suits/interests you best. Find a kit with as many proper parts and pieces as possible included. Then, this is the very important part if you'd like your gun to not scream "I BOUGHT A KIT" to anyone who sees it and knows longrifles, be SURE to put an English lock on a Southern/Tennessee gun unless you are emulating a specific exception to the rule (not likely if you're buying a kit with odd parts).  For some reason (profit I suppose) most all kits named "Southern Mtn (yes a wildly generic term) or "Tennessee" were bundled with a most things proper, but a Germanic lock. 

If that is indeed still the case, I'm pretty sure most of those companies will allow for a substitution of an English lock, but generally they'll throw in a Siler.  The Siler lock is a perfectly serviceable lock preferred by many, but Southern Originals nearly always had an imported English lock for ignition.

Additionally: If you're handy with wood at all and have some time and space, leave off the precarved stock and get a blank, cut it to profile, let in your bbl (or hire that bit out) and have all that great wood to clamp, carve on, and fix your mistakes with.  Margin of error is very slight when using a pre-shaped stock-and not all the errors will be yours.

Excuse my mild rant, but I expect kits (for Southern or TN guns) haven't changed and is why I never bought one. 

Also, look up pre-carves and swamped bbls posts and see why craftsmen tend to hate pre-carves and shooters tend to hate straight bbls.   Get the right parts, you'll be much happier in the end, no matter how slow the process or "expensive" it might seem. 

Cheers.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:44:10 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
   I have built two kits from Track of the Wolf and I think that they are great. You will have some challenges, but you will get that with anything. The trick is the realize that they are pre-carved and not pre-inlet. You cannot think of them as being inlet at all. What they have done is most of the bulk wood removal. It is 90% done and you only have 90% left to go. My opinion is that it is easier to start from a plank. A pre-carve is best for someone not familiar with the basic architecture of the gun. I would not be interested in a Kibler kit. All the work is already done.

Here is something to give you an idea of what the Track of the Wolf kits are like, what goes into them, and what problems may come up. I did a 23 part video series of building one of their kits. Hope that it helps. Here is the first one.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
They are nice kits.  If I were to do another kit gun, I'd get the profiled stock I wanted with the ramrod channel drilled and barrel inlet done and purchase or make everything else.  If you are wanting the best of the best wood, you probably wont get it from a kit.  I've paid for the top grades and they are very nice, but not what I was after.  There are better screws and bolts, butt plates, inlays and trigger guards that are more correct.  The wood will be wood.  As long as enough is there for the rifle you are after, you can make it period correct with a rasp and file.  One thing I noticed on the TOTW kits other than the standard furniture is that they come with huge pins.  Check out Mike Brooks's website for period correct furniture. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:22:40 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
Wade, I own a rifle built by a craftsman who doesn't mind either straight or swamped barrels.  However, he would not build you one from any pre-carved stock.  He only worked from a blank.  If I built one it would have to be the easiest authentic one available; something like the Kibler.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
Thanks for these thoughts. Sounds like much of life - it is what you make of it.