Author Topic: TC Hawken nipple  (Read 1031 times)

Barnstormer

TC Hawken nipple
« on: December 07, 2018, 04:36:08 AM »
Dennis here, just want to start off saying that I have been black powder hunting for 25 yrs, but still willing to learn what I can.    I put a musket nipple on my Hawken and have accidently dry fired it in the past, and flattened the bottom side of the nipple a little bit, ( because it does not contact fully square the the hammer). 5   A friend was telling me that the nipple should be sharp but not knife edge to work dependable. 
Is this correct?  Also I have a williams peep sight mounted on the barrel, as my eyes don't like buckhorn sights anymore.  The peep is kinda blurry.  Would a tang mounted sight be better.  I was just wondering if anyone has any better ideas for sights.  A pre thank you for you input. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: TC Hawken nipple
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:42:44 AM »
I'd change the nipple.

As for the peep. It will look blurry if you look at it but you shouldn't be looking at it. You should focus on the front sight. Your brain will automatically center the front sight in the peep, so ignore the peep completely. The target will be blurry too. That's a good sign you're concentrating on the front sight.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
Dennis,
Your nipple doesn't have to have a knife edge, just a clean edge that is square with the bottom of the hammer cup. You can file the nipple to match the hammer cup and dress it back so the cap fits. If to much needs to be taken off the nipple to allow the cap to fit properly you may have to replace it and start over. All else failing, you can bend the hammer to strike the nipple squarely. If you have a peep sight mounted on your barrel it may be to far forward for you to see it clearly. Peeps are normally mounted around the tang/breech area for best clarity.
Mark
Mark

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
If you're hitting the bottom of the nipple it could be too long. TC guns use a pretty short nipple.

I might have misunderstood where the peep is mounted. Where exactly is it? Is it where the stock rear sight was? That would be no good.

Lyman makes a peep that mounts on the tang. You'll have to drill/tap a hole(s). Everything I said about the front sight still applies.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
Dennis,
If you look for a Lyman 57MLS. It's not cheap but it is made to fit the TC tang and is a darn good sight.
ark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
Dennis - welcome - sounds as if the musket nipple is too long.  Chuck it up in hour electric drill, holding it by the threads or boss, drill held in a bench vise (if you don't have access to a lathe), and with the drill running use a fine file to shorten and true up the top surface.
If the top surface is peened, blunted on one side as you noted from dry firing, it will make the cap difficult to push on, or perhaps difficult to remove.
Perhaps it is easiest to just replace the nipple. trackofthewolf among other places, sells them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V