Author Topic: L&R replacement locks  (Read 1158 times)

Offline recurve

L&R replacement locks
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
My son has my old flinter Traditions Tennessee a 1-66 24inch barrel that is very good shooting with 80 grns of 3f 490 & pt .. The lock  is not a great sparker,  is the L&R RPL small  a drop in or does it need fitting?  How good are the L&R locks ?

Offline G_T

Re: L&R replacement locks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:46:03 PM »
Drop-in may or may not be drop in, based on my one experience with a friend's rifle. It wasn't the exact lock and rifle you are looking at, so the experience may not transfer. It was an L&R replacement (upgrade) lock. Internals were different and of course had to be inlet. Lock plate outline itself was a little different but pretty close. Depth of inlet had to be changed for good mating with the barrel. YMMV. Perhaps someone has experience with the specific lock and rifle pair. Even year of manufacture can matter in some cases - it did for the one I helped with. BTW, I treated the particular lock as a kit of parts, cleaning it up a bit here and there.

Gerald

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
I used a L&R RPL lock on a TC Renegade, the fit was so bad it took at least a week and all my gun building skills to get the lock installed and make it work. I had to move the barrel back, inlett the entire lock internals, move the lock bolt hole forward and grind the back of the patten breech off some to accommodate the new lock bolt position.

Online Mike payne

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
I have a 36 cal. SMR that was built for me many year ago. It had a Russ Hamm flint lock on it that had gotten to the point it would not spark at all. Replaced it with the recommended L&R lock had to do a little wood removal to make it fit also had to make a new touch hole linear existing hole to low. After I got everything installed trigger pull was horrible. Ordered a L&R single trigger to replace original.After fitting the new trigger everything worked well. All in all I am happy with my replacement lock I have a rifle I can shoot again!

Mike

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
I used a L&R RPL lock on a TC Renegade, the fit was so bad it took at least a week and all my gun building skills to get the lock installed and make it work. I had to move the barrel back, inlett the entire lock internals, move the lock bolt hole forward and grind the back of the patten breech off some to accommodate the new lock bolt position.
Kind of reminds me back in my high school days when we would buy "bolt-on headers" for our cars.  ;D
David

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »
Dave I remember the headers, my brother had a small block chevy nova I did a valve job on and he wanted headers on.  About half the bolt holes lined up.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA