Author Topic: Smoking leather in an urban environment  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Smoking leather in an urban environment
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:10:48 AM »
So I bought this bison split/suede from Crazy Crow that looks pretty much like brain tanned that I'm going to make some bags with.  I'd like to smoke it a bit to make it more water resistant, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it in my back yard without a lot of dedicated equipment.  My idea is to use a chimenea with some wood chips & hang the cut- out pieces of the bag over it pretty high above the heat.  If we accept the premise that this technique will work (which is dubious at best) How long do you guys think I should smoke it?  I'm thinking of using pinion pine since that's what they use for chimeneas, it's available all over the place out here, & I like the smell.  My wife likes it too & she wants a chimenea anyhow, so I'm thinking I just got over a major hurdle right there.  I'm open to better ideas, which I'm sure you all have.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Smoking leather in an urban environment
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
A friend of mine built a tree house for his granddaughters. They outgrew it and he was going to tear it down when he had the idea to make a smoke house out of it. He uses a little tent stove and a section of pipe and keeps a smoldering fire going. Hang whole hides in it. I had some real good cheese he smoked in there also.
I have a couple deer hides I want to smoke and have thought about rigging up something with a plywood A frame and a 5 gallon can and stove pipe but haven’t done it. I would imagine you would need a day or two hanging around the house to tend to it to get a good job.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
I’ve done a lot of this on brain tanned , and chrome tanned leather. First off if it has any of the yellow dye used years ago you have to get rid of it. That pretty easy actually. It’ll scare the bejabbers out of you but it works. You simply put it in the washing machine with some Rid dye remover, with warm water (NOT HOT), and continue resetting the cycle to agitate so it doesn’t pump you dye remover down the drain, until the yellow is gone. Hang it in a cool dry place, out of direct sun light, until it is damp dry. Now throw it in the dryer with a couple of tennis shoes, and run it on air only ( NO HEAT).     Now to smoke the leather you can use whatever you have, be it a tent stove, the top vent of your propane smoker, or just a teepee shape frame made of sticks, over a fire pit in the yard. Different woods make different colors some good, some not so much. You want wood that is in an advanced stage of deterioration, but not wet, and rotting. I personally prefer cedar for color, and smell. You need to keep the fire very low, so the heat doesn’t damage the leather. Then just smoke it until it’s the color you want, rotating it regularly so it comes out uniform in color.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:54:33 AM »
Awesome post HH. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Old No7

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
Before I read all the details and questions, I was thinking...

"Why not? They smoke everything else!"

Good luck with your project.

Old No7

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:57:54 PM »
Smoking leather items imparted, color, a pleasant smell, and some degree of waterproofing, it was quite common. Ceremonial Native American clothing was often left unsmoked, and at times rubbed  with balls of dry white clay, to enhance their whiteness.

Hungry Horse

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »
Someone asked me if I ever smoked cheese? No, I tried but couldn’t keep it lit.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline draken

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Someone asked me if I ever smoked cheese? No, I tried but couldn’t keep it lit.

Dave, I had the same problem with a salmon. :-\
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
All my buckskins are made of brain tanned and smoked deer and elk hides.  They have a wonderful pungent scent, especially when new, and are the most comfortable material from which to make a garment.
They absorb water like a chamois.  But the good news is that when they dry, they remain soft, unlike normal leather.  I wash my leggings about every two years, and stretch 'em out on a towel to dry.  Just before they are completely dry, I pull them on which makes them fit my chicken legs perfectly.  The smoke adds a second feature:  bacteria and insects will not attack it. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
All my buckskins are made of brain tanned and smoked deer and elk hides.  They have a wonderful pungent scent, especially when new, and are the most comfortable material from which to make a garment.
They absorb water like a chamois.  But the good news is that when they dry, they remain soft, unlike normal leather.  I wash my leggings about every two years, and stretch 'em out on a towel to dry.  Just before they are completely dry, I pull them on which makes them fit my chicken legs perfectly.  The smoke adds a second feature:  bacteria and insects will not attack it.

You are 100% on with the protection against bacteria and insects.  I have read articles where it is claimed that the Plains Indians smoked their leather with grass.  Nonsense!
The thing with smoking the hides is the creosote in the smoke from a low wood fire.  Tannic acid used in leather making is what is known as a phenolic structured chemical.  Prevents bacterial growth and is tough on insects.  The creosote from a wood fire is also a phenolic structured chemical and far more powerful in its actions than tannic acid from tree bark.  And when it gets into the porous structure of the leather it acts almost like a lubricant within the leather.  Remember.  You can always give used leather another smoking.  Early in the 1900s they came out with a "synthetic" smoke to treat hides.

Bill K.