Author Topic: RWS Caps  (Read 3993 times)

Offline stoneke

RWS Caps
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »
I have some RWS caps in tins with red and green labels. One is supposed to be hotter than the other, but I can't remember which. Anyone know?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: RWS Caps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »
According to an article in last months Muzzle Blasts,by the Bevel Brothers the red label is the hotter of the two.The Bevels did say they thought the red labels were no longer available.

Mitch

erdillonjr

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
Anyone know where I can get RWS caps? my supply is low. Thanks Ed

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »
The red label caps have been unavailable for a long time.  As far as I'm concerned, the new "hot"caps are more exploders than igniters & I hate them.  I don't shoot well when my face is being splattered with blast & debris.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Harnic

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the new "hot"caps are more exploders than igniters & I hate them.  I don't shoot well when my face is being splattered with blast & debris.
Roger B.

I agree Roger, the "magnum caps" throw a lot more $#@* around.  I tried CCI's #11 Magnum caps on my Ruger Old Army revolver last week with Hodgdon 777 powder & the folks on either side of me were not impressed at all!  The standard #11 caps were very reliable with Triple 7 & at least on my pistol, the mag caps were not needed.

chapmans

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
  Caps were in short supply at Friendship, a lot of vendors ran out in the first couple of days, of the reg CCI's then all that was left were the CCI magnum and the RWS, the prices ranged fro $43.00 a thousand for reg CCI's to $100.00 a thousand for RWS, there were prices in between depending on where you shopped . The longer you waited the more you paid. I hope they get this fixed by the fall shoot, or I may have to learn to shoot my flint rifles ;D ;D
  Steve C.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 04:26:51 AM »
Kind of seems like anything that goes bang or makes our powder go bang (except for flints) are in short supply.

I've used RWS caps for the last 10 years or so, the Green Lable No. 1075 Plus, and I like these very well.  However, I would suggest the use of a nipple guard as I have had some splatter at times.  I've never had one fail to go off or set off a charge.   

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
I've been using both green and red label in the 14 bore cap lock. I find the red label caps to be less prone to sticking a spent cap on the nipple. As to igntion or accuracy, I haven' t noticed a difference.  I shoot them mixed up in the capper - doesn't seem to make a difference in this rifle. Smaller bores will probably show a preference for ignition and blast in the accuracy department.

I have, however, noticed a drop in accuray by using hot-shot nipples.