Author Topic: Haversack build  (Read 2190 times)

River Runner

Haversack build
« on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:46 AM »
I really enjoy going to the Ft. Frederick market fair.  One of my best finds was a haversack that has and is  still serving me well.  One of my buddies admired it and wanted me to find one for him.  After a couple of years of searching, I finally decided to make him one and gave it to him.  He is not a living historian anymore but carries it to all our shoots and when we go to gun shows.  I thought I would share it with you. It's lined with pillow ticking and completely hand sewn.

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Haversack build
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:57:22 AM »
Very nice!  Hopefully I’ll find time to make myself one, and I hope I can do as good a job!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
That's a nice looking haversack. What are the dimensions? It looks pretty good sized.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
Very nice. I have an old oilskin one I will need to replace some day. What is exterior material?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

River Runner

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:21 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  The overall size is 13"W x 15-1/2"L.  The outer cloth material is linen.  I waterproofed it with a tin cloth recipe I found on the internet.  It worked well and darkened the cloth pretty nicely.  The strap is 1" hemp. 

River Runner

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 04:17:25 AM »
Oh...the leather is pigskin, I think.  The one I copied was of linen and goatskin.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »
Might be pigskin, but I don't see any pores.  From the look of it, I'd say it is goat.  Great leather, as it is tough as nails but supple.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 03:46:50 AM »
River Runner, I believe the original maker of the haversack you picked up at Ft Fred was Harold (Bagues) a vet from NC that sews great haversacks, bags and packs.
He camps with us every year near the spot where Bill & Selinda Kennedy used to camp.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

River Runner

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 05:56:56 AM »
burnt,

I don't believe I know any of those folks, but I would like to meet my fellow North Carolinian.  Here is a photo of the haversack I purchased at Ft. Frederick in 2008 or 2009. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:54:11 PM »
I think I like the one you made better than the original one you purchased.  :-)  God Bless,   Marc

Offline AsMs

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 03:08:27 AM »
I second that Marc!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »
I see the linen one has a bottom seam. I think this is not something likely to be seen in early times. A seam is always going to be a weak spot, for one thing, and unless they just happened to have small pieces of linen, why make a seam where you didn’t have to. Same goes for shooting bags. The old shooting bags I’ve seen rarely had a bottom seam, even when they had gusseted sides.

Hungry Horse

River Runner

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 04:38:08 AM »
The backside of both haversacks are of leather which runs up and folds over to make the front flap.  The tan haversack has a pillow ticking inner liner.  The front linen piece is hemmed over and captures the ticking.  The stitch is of waxed thread run with two needles in and out.  This stitch passes through the leather, the two panels of ticking and the two panels of the linen (front face and the hem), if all that makes sense.  This is true on both sides of the haversack.  When you pull that all together, it is very strong.  It's not going to pull apart, trust me.  There are many ways to make a haversack.  This is just one style variant.  Whether or not it can be documented historically, I don't know.