Author Topic: Question for the blade forgers  (Read 907 times)

Offline webradbury

Question for the blade forgers
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
So it’s getting cooler here and not so unbearable to work next to a hot fire, so the forging begins tomorrow.  My question is do any of the knife makers use a flatter tool for finishing and smoothing out the hammer marks? I have seen a hardy tool that was a flatter consisting of two heavy plates hinged together.  The work piece was sandwiched between them and the top plate was given a couple whacks. Does anyone here use anything similar and does it work well for blades? Will
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Re: Question for the blade forgers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
I do not use a flatter.  I put my touch mark in then during my final heat I use a large hardwood mallet with a very smooth face.  It smooths the hammer marks and it also will straighten the blade without causing additional issues as it strikes lighter than steel.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:03:29 PM by WH1 »

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:26 PM »
Excellent! I’ll definitely try that!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »
I’ve been forging blades for several years and have never used a flatter. I use a 3 pound cross pein hammer. I learned quickly how important it is to strike the metal with the face of the hammer and avoid dinging it with the corners unless you like odd shaped hammer marks on the blade (not good).
Good luck friend!
Stop Marxism in America