Author Topic: slotting barrel pin holes?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Bigmon

slotting barrel pin holes?
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
I been looking on line, but I cannot seem to find the small enough files or the jewelers saw that I have seen mentioned when I read about slotting these barrel pin holes.
I have just drilled and pinned my barrel on my Kibler Colonial rifle.  I watched his video and it looks so easy with the right tool / saw.  But when I look on line the descriptions of what they are selling are so vague.  They give file lengths but not diameter, and it all looks like China junk.  I don't mind buying what I need, but don't want to waste time and money on the wrong thing.
Can anyone tell what to buy and where to buy it.

I would prefer a round file but it would have to be smaller than 1/16".  I been looking everywhere at saws but all the blades are bigger?
Thanks for the help in advance.  I know you guys will have the answers.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: slotting barrel pin holes?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
I buy jewlers saw blades from Rio Grande.  I believe I use #6 size for underlugs.  As to files, just get a flat needle file.  The thinnest you can buy.  If it's too wide or too thick, grind it down.  I have a couple that are sized such that they fit without any modification.

So the process is to drill the hole first, elongate it with a jewlers saw on each side of the hole and then clean up the slot with a file.  Wood can move quite a bit, so this is preferable than trying to just enlarge the hole with a round file or trying to extend things with a drill bit etc.

Jim

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
Go here and pick the saw frames that you like -- for my money the German frames are just right ;) <https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/saw-blades-and-frames/saw-frames> they also sell blades -- be sure to buy many - they do break. ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
lately, I've been using under lugs that are already slotted for a small key.  Using a 5/64" pin makes a nice fit, and plenty  of room for movement.  They can be peened to tighten up if necessary.
I'm lazy!!!!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »
Same for me.  I bought slotted lugs.
Brice Stultz

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:08 PM »
Mostly, the lugs on  my barrels are already slotted.  For the few that were not I cut the grip ring off a small wire saw and used that. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »
Thanks you all for the info.  I figured I'd get the right answers.
Jim, I assume the #6 you mention is correct for your 1/16" pins?
BTW Jim, I finally got back to that rifle after some time away.  I am glad I went with my own cherry.  Your kit is great.

Hanshi, I like the idea of that wire saw, but do they make them that small?

I'd give the slotted tennons a try but am aftaid I'd miss the slot?
Thanks again everyone

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »
Bigmon, Rio Grande sells various assortments of jewelers saw blades, and it may be to your benefit to get one of those.  Whatever blades you get, buy several dozen.

They are extremely handy for almost any metal cutting task, and smaller wood projects as well.  Generally, I use 2/0 blades - in fact cut most of the 4130 steel for several airplanes with that size.  But now I also use Size 0, 3, and 4.  Cutting is done vertically, for the most part.  Just move your hand down to saw, with a wee bit of forward pressure.  ANY side pressure will snap the blade.

These blades are very sharp, so do not interpose any part of your digits to the cut line.  Lost track of how many cuts I have gotten, but at least for the past 15 years or so, the total is Zero!  But I had to learn the hard way.  A 2/0 blade will fit easily in a 1/16" hole.  Or a 1/32" if you are so inclined and can drill with that size....
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:06 AM »
thanks to you all.
Placed an order with RioGrands this afternoon for a saw and blades.  Also bought me a real optivisor.  I am tired of those flea market ones I been using.
Adios

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 02:14:17 AM »
 after drilling the holes and with the barrel out of the stock, I put the drill back in the hole and gently rock the drill straight forward and back to slot both sides. there is then just a thin edge front and rear to file to end up with a slot.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
I use swiss files to elongate my holes.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Gordy

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »
I use the Dremel Tool with a very small straight cutter in it, then a little cleanup with a Jewelers file. Pins I use are .090, so I elongate the slot to bout 3/16 or so. Seems to give the wood plenty of room to move in the damp humid unpredictable weather of Ohio.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
Bigmon, the wire saws come in two sizes and they are pretty small and easily go through any lug hole.  They are meant to saw tree limbs & miscellaneous stuff and do a good job of it.  Plus they are CHEAP.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:38 PM »
I have some really small diameter diamond bits for my dremel. I actually bought a pack of 20-30 assorted from the local el cheapo traveling tool sale for a couple of bucks.

I use one that is a straight cylinder and a little less than 1/16" in diameter for slotting pin holes, it just takes a second and is very neat.

Offline BJH

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 04:41:56 PM »
Much ado over slots. I simply drill a pin sized hole as close to the pin hole in the lugs as I can on either side. Then connect the holes with a jewelers saw. Dress with a flea market needle file and done.
BJH
BJH

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:04:43 AM »
BJH, I do the same. And smooth the ragged slot to the exact level of the original pin hole with flat swiss files.  Your post beat me to it.