Author Topic: Best Penatrating oil  (Read 2741 times)

Offline stubshaft

Re: Best Penatrating oil
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
I happen to like the smell of Kroil and usually keep a pint handy.  I was shouldn't be surprised at the effectiveness of ATF/acetone, because if you add kerosene you get "Eds Red" cleaner.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03:17 AM »
Use whatever you want. I used to wash my hands with Acetone to get airplane glue as well as heavy oils off them. Yeah - should not have done that & I use WD40 now.

As to a penetrating solvent, the Acetone/ATF is more than 100% better than Kroil.  I used to use Kroil, but it is a poor second best as a penetrating oil.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 01:05:42 AM »
I happen to like the smell of Kroil and usually keep a pint handy.  I was shouldn't be surprised at the effectiveness of ATF/acetone, because if you add kerosene you get "Eds Red" cleaner.

[quote author Daryl]1:1:1:1 - kersene, mineral oil(varsol),atf,acetone = Ed's red - exceptionally good solvent but not for black powder.
Also as an post-cleaning oil for the bore.
[/quote]
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 02:41:11 AM »
Kroil is wonderful stuff.  I always buy the "dropper" cans, never aerosol cans.  The propellant gas leaks out too fast, leaving product that cannot be used.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Jerry

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 02:51:56 AM »
Wintergreen Oil. In the Navy we used Wintergreen Oil on frozen steam line flange bolts. I also use Wintergreen Oil as a graver lube for hand engraving.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 02:57:19 AM »
Wintergreen Oil. In the Navy we used Wintergreen Oil on frozen steam line flange bolts. I also use Wintergreen Oil as a graver lube for hand engraving.

that definately would smell better than kroil
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »

Yes, Kroil a long time favorite, and I dig the smell and it's a Nashville product. Kano Labs yo. (and now I have proof for those who think WD40 is good for much besides water displacement (a good thing when that's what you're after).

Kroil is wonderful stuff.  I always buy the "dropper" cans, never aerosol cans.  The propellant gas leaks out too fast, leaving product that cannot be used.

Well, you can use it---just have to poke a hole in the can. My current Kroil is such - flat, but perforated.

Machinists turned me onto Gibb's a few years back and I like to have a can of it around too and not a bad smell, but it's not so easy to find.

Thanks for the reminder about acetone, I've bare-handed a more than I should have, but got wiser.  And the ladies use that acetone (scented) on their nails, could be another health risk that folks mostly ignore.

And I shall mix up a batch of this stuff (Dexitone I might call it  :P) or at least keep the recipe in mind for next time I need it. Thanks for sharing.

PB Blaster--I'd rather not ever smell again, at all. no how. no way.  Pretty sure it'll happen, but I'm not looking forward to it.  :o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:16:28 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 07:21:30 AM »
Hey Wade, try some of that WD40 on yer catfish bait...you might be pleasantly surprised...😉

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 01:47:15 AM »
Hey Wade, try some of that WD40 on yer catfish bait...you might be pleasantly surprised...😉

Greg

I'm going to pass on that as I fish for flatheads and use live bait only.  Prolly get them fork-tails nuts but I try no to catch a lot of those.
Hold to the Wind