Author Topic: Best Penatrating oil  (Read 2742 times)

Offline smoke

Best Penatrating oil
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
Hi:What is the best penetrating oil you have used for rust and glue penetration? Thanks for Your opinions.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Best Penatrating oil
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:14:04 PM »
The old Lucas penetrating oil for bolts and stuff and heat for glue.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
Here's a great easy-to-mix DIY product that will be the best penetrating fluid you could use ...

Perhaps this should be a ‘stickie’ post ...

==========================================================

FWIW the best penetrating oil one can use is a DIY homemade mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:

• Nothing:  516 lbs
  • WD-40:  238 lbs
  • PB Blaster:  214 lbs
  • Liquid Wrench:  127 lbs
  • Kano Kroil:  106 lbs
  • ATF/Acetone mix (50/50 mix):  50 lbs
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »
Good info -- thanks. I have Kano Kroil but the smell is bad to me so after it is gone I will be using the ATF/Acetone mix ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:31 AM »
Wow... just... wow. I've been a blaster fan for decades. Most definitely going to try acetone/atf. That's impressive.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:07:45 AM »
My mistake.  I meant Kroil oil, not lucas.  I've heard the ATF transmission fluid was good but I've never used it. 

Offline G_T

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:27 AM »
In one lab we used acetone in a squirt bottle to test for leaks in high vacuum chamber fittings. Acetone has tremendous penetration and can carry other things along with it. I'm not surprised it made the top of the list when mixed with ATF.

A squirt of acetone would also take out flying insects...

Gerald

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:58:51 AM »
Hard to beat diesel for cost and unoffensive aroma.  It penetrates plenty well.

Add it to heavier oils to reduce viscosity...

Michael Hill

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:36:23 AM »
 I have always had the best luc with Kroil, and it smells good too.  :D

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:51:35 AM »
I've used ATF mixed with kerosene as a lube for tapping screw holes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:01:15 PM by rick/pa »

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »
What is the fire potential when using acetone? I really don't know anything about it but sounds like I might want to get to know it.

Offline G_T

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:10 AM »
Be a bit careful with acetone. Unlike a lot of other liquids, it can penetrate the skin and it can act as a carrier for other chemicals while doing so.

Gerald

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 05:24:21 AM »
I thought Kroil was the best till I tried Sea Foam penetrating lubricant, beats all others I have ever used. I have broken fittings loose, after soaking 15 or 20 minutes, that were rusted so bad you could hardly tell what they were. I tried it by accident, they were out of everything else at the NAPA one day.
I will always keep some around now. The thing I like about the kroil is I can buy it in a non aresol can.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:28:47 AM »
Always wear protective gloves you're doing a lot of work with it.  Acetone can and does penetrate the skin. It's also a neurotoxin, ...think airplane glue .
Some folks put it in a bag and breathe it to get "high"   ::)  so... Always make sure you have good ventilation when using acetone.  BTW, it works to unstick fingers or anything else stuck with crazy glue.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 05:44:40 AM »
An old guy told me years ago that iodine, the kind you used to buy at the drugstore was the best penetrant ever. I never tied it though.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »
Iodine is corrosive.  FWIW

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline snapper

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
Ladies finger nail polish remover is and used to contain acetone just depends what brand you buy today. 

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Aero Kroil is the best I’ve every found. Years ago I was a salesman making sales calls at a gold mine, and a geothermal steam field. Both of these places wouldn’t accept anything but Areo Kroil. So I brought a can home and tried it on some very old frozen up forge blowers I’d dug out of the ground. A couple of days of soaking, and the came apart easily.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Always wear protective gloves you're doing a lot of work with it.  Acetone can and does penetrate the skin. It's also a neurotoxin, ...think airplane glue .
Some folks put it in a bag and breathe it to get "high"   ::)  so... Always make sure you have good ventilation when using acetone.  BTW, it works to unstick fingers or anything else stuck with crazy glue.

Glues, like Ambroid and Testors also spray paint contain toluene.  That is the stuff idiots were huffing. 

Acetone is found in small quantities in diabetics blood when their blood sugar gets too low.  Toxicity is dosage dependent. 

Use common sense, use good ventilation.   Do not bathe in acetone or intentionally inhale it.  It will dry your skin out quickly.  It is very flammable. 

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
We used to use acetone and an acid brush in the machine shop to clean dycum off parts. If it splashed onto your calculator or eye protection it was toast....
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
1:1:1:1 - kersene, mineral oil(varsol),atf,acetone = Ed's red - exceptionally good solvent but not for black powder.
Also as an post-cleaning oil for the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mountainman

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:23 AM »
Is that automatic transmission fluid synthetic?

Davemuzz

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »
Hands down Kroil is great stuff for removing surface rust.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
Is that automatic transmission fluid synthetic?

Yes - ATF is synthetic. A petroleum oil cannot withstand automatic transmission temperatures.
Petroleum products form asphalt at temperatures much over 300F, which is where automatic trannies
run. This is also why with the use of non-leaded fuel, most ALL motor oils are either partially or
wholly synthetic today. The temps involved with modern engine, valve trains and bearings are not kind
 to straight petroleum oils, or visa/vis.

Dextron 3 will work just fine as I can no longer find Dextron 2.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
So with the flammability and potential skin absorption issues of Acetone/ATF, my choice from your list would be Liquid Wrench.  Its nearly as effective as Kroil, without the harsh lingering odor that Kroil has.  I have been using a can of LW I got on sale sometime back, and like it.  Think I will stick with it based on your posted data.