Author Topic: Retun to gun work questions  (Read 1158 times)

Offline tiswell

Retun to gun work questions
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:57:33 AM »
Hopefully this does not pertain to anyone here but I have to ask. A week ago I had bypass surgery. I was wondering if others here had gone through the experience and if so how long was it before you were able to resume gun making? More specifically, I have a Kibler kit complete less carving. So I will not be making big chips or rasping off a mound of wood crumbs. Just forend, tang and maybe butt carving, stain and finish. As you can figure I am getting antsy!

Thanks, Bill

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Retun to gun work questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:07:18 AM »
Ah, Bill!  Had my heart overhauled July 23 - and I was able to do some sketching while still in the hospital.  Admittedly NOT while in ICU recovery!  I had a triple bypass and an aneurysm repair, and never knew I had had two heart attacks.  But the VA fixed me up readily, and the main surgeon came from the Cleveland Clinic.

I believe that it was about two weeks after returning home that I was able to do some work on the rifle.  And about 3 1/2 weeks before I really got back into it.  Not full time, for sure, but up to an hour or so morning and evening.

Just take it as it comes, keep trying little bits and soon you will be back to normal.  And when you start cardio rehab, listen to the sadistic ladies (and men), and if you really start to hurt or tire, stop!  I am well into my rehab now, but still have some other problems that will be fixed after New Year's.  And I don't mind working up a sweat while exercising.

Best of luck to you, my friend!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:22 AM »
Had a triple bypass a couple of years ago. They restricted me to eight pounds for awhile. My grandson  weighed the parts I had roughed out earlier for a blunderbus and they were under that weight. This was the first thing I finished after the surgery. Please follow your doctor’s orders and don’t over do it. You’ll have plenty of time to work on guns after a little time mending. Use this time to study. If you’re
like me, I can always use more study. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
Bill,
I had my chest cracked in early June for a valve replacement, not a lot of fun there. I stayed out of my shop for about three weeks and then gradually worked my way back in.
I canceled or postponed all orders, bought a few books and researched. I then started gathering parts and began my new build in mid August, first order of business clean and organize the shop and sharpen chisels(to test my wings). Rasp work was a bit of a challenge initially and chisel work with a mallet was OK. I worked slower and not having a deadline let me use my shop time as rehab.
This was a post about my "recovery rifle" http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=51708.msg514198#msg514198
My advice - take your time, catch up on your reading and research, plan a build"

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
Your body will tell you what you can and cannot do. Just take it slow and easy.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »
No heart problems yet but I'm coming off a knee replacement (3rd one) and rehab is going ok but to stand in one place for much more than 15 min. is very uncomfortable so more time to build strength and heal is something you just have to accept.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »
Thanks to everyone for a  reply. I slowly transition into it. Shop cleanup first is a great idea!

Thanks, Blessings, Bill

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
Late to the conversation tiswell but do as the Dr. tells you. Get better an enjoy your time in your shop.  Oldtravler