Author Topic: Front Sling Swivel  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Front Sling Swivel
« on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:09 AM »
I was thinking about using the middle barrel lug to attach a sling swivel.  The pipes are not installed
Yet so I could place one just below the stud so the swivel rests on it during loading.
Does any one see a problem with doing this?  Thanks

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Front Sling Swivel
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:50:13 AM »
IMHO that would be OK as long as it doesn't throw off the spacing gap between the other thimbles.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »
I put a separate lug on the barrel of my fowler just in front of the middle rod thimble.  It not only looks right but also balances the sling on the gun.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:55:14 AM »
I'd go with the separate, heavier underlug, just for the swivel.  An underlug is just designed to hold the wood to the barrel.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 03:38:50 AM »
Dane, I agree about a separate and heavier lug.  That brings up another question - If the lug is positioned as Hanshi's is, that is usually the waist or most narrow area of a swamped barrel, do you solder the lug on?  I usually only sink my dovetails around .025" in this area due to the barrel wall thickness.  Just curious for future builds.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »
The swivel must be positioned on the barrel so that it rests against the middle (of three) rod pipes.  Otherwise, the sling will be in the way when you load the rifle.
The lug needs to be of stout enough stock to support the screw that passes through the stock.  The wood cannot be expected to do any of that work.  So to answer your question NO, the barrel tenon isn't enough support.  On a fowling piece, that lug should be soldered to the barrel, but can in addition be set in a shallow dovetail....032" max.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Hanshi what did you use for a sling swivel lug?  I was planning on using
Sliver plumbing solder to fasten it as it will be on the round section of the barrel.
Any recommendations for the thickness of the swivel lug? Was think in of
Cutting a T shape out of a railroad spike. Please share you comments.
Thanks

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »
One would think that surviving originals with sling swivels would be more prevalent in view of how useful they can be.  But they aren't, except for military guns.

Yet we can learn a lot when we use our rifles as they were in the 18th century.  When I take my journey rifle hunting I have gotten into the habit of using a leather strap that has a loop that passes around the front of the trigger guard bow and has a second loop that is tied around the fore-stock.  I end up with a sling.  Because the barrel is swamped the presence of the leather over the top flat of the barrel doesn't interfere with the sight picture at all.  I've been doing this for years, now, and I think I understand why so few non-military originals have forward sling swivels.  They weren't all that necessary.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
When I make a sling swivel lug for a rifle it is a truss shaped block the same width as the barrel flat. Attached by either solder or dovetail or both. This when cross drilled for the sling swivel bolt will not allow torque for the sling swivel to damage the stock. This I accidentally proved by falling on the rifle on ice with my rifle on my shoulder. Complete with a climbing tree stand. As well, A classic train wreck. BJH
BJH

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
Anywhere 1/4" wide will work fine. 
Avoid a blade type tenon ... the screw needs lots of support to prevent forestock damage.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline BJH

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Plus a larger clearance hole in the stock than the hole in the lug/block. Just a size or two.BJH
BJH

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 12:51:45 AM »
Hanshi what did you use for a sling swivel lug?  I was planning on using
Sliver plumbing solder to fasten it as it will be on the round section of the barrel.
Any recommendations for the thickness of the swivel lug? Was think in of
Cutting a T shape out of a railroad spike. Please share you comments.
Thanks

It was a "fabricated" lug doubled over for strength.  It was silver soldered and small, round leather discs were put between the swivel and stock on both sides.  IMO smoothbores look good with slings as do most halfstock rifles.  I see no place for a sling on a longrifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.