Author Topic: A Christmas Ferguson  (Read 1340 times)

Offline conquerordie

A Christmas Ferguson
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
Hello everyone. Ive been working on and off on a Ferguson Infantry Rifle for my father. It is one of his " Grail" guns. It was a complete kit from TRS. It gave me nothing but grief, I mean it fought me the entire way, but it's done in time for Christmas! He wanted an " as issued"  infantry rifle and that's what I tried to deliver. Did not try to make it prettier than it should be for an ordinance rifle.  Here are some pics:

I actually gave it to him today and he was very happy. That's all I ask for. Please feel free to send along comments and critiques, always enjoy them.  This is the last gun I'm gonna build. I feel like it's time for something new in my life. I will still be in the forum as the info here, as well as the people are first rate. Just won't be building anymore. Thanks to everyone who has ever answered a question of mine or guided me in any way. It's been fun. Merry Christmas early,
Greg

Offline Daryl

Re: A Christmas Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
Your Dad is a lucky man, to have you for a son. I am sure the feeling is mutual.
Well done Greg.
Merry Christmas to you, too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »
That's not a project I'd be brave enough to tackle, you did a fine job.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 02:14:59 AM »
Excellent. 

I passed over the thread a time or two and then it hit me--A FERGUSON! 

Just don't see them on every corner (and never did).  Good work, Pop is happy and that's what counts. Thanks for sharing.
Hold to the Wind

Offline wormey

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »
Congratulations on a nice build.  I built one of these about 2 years ago and like you I made it strictly military.  It is probably the most accurate rifle I have at longer distances (100-200 yards).  Be sure and get yourself (or your Father) a copy of Every Insult and Indignity.  Lots of information on shooting your Ferguson.  I think these kits sold by the Rifle Shoppe are the best bargain going today.  The machine work is very nicely done and all the parts are of the highest quality.  Not an easy project and not for the faint of heart, but I have been wanting one since 1968 when I first became aware of their existence.  For what it`s worth, Don Troiani has a wonderful print of a Ferguson Corp. rifleman.  It makes a nice addition to the gun.  I hope your father enjoys and appreciates the effort that went into this rifle and that he enjoys his as much as I enjoy mine.  Nice work!   Wormey

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 05:38:45 AM »
Really nice job, Greg.  Your Dad has every reason to be very happy!  Merry Christmas,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »
Very Nice!
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »
What a great Christmas gift!  Nice rifle.  Those Ferguson rifles look like they have a lot of special issues to overcome in building.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »
Thank you for the compliments so far. As I mentioned in my original post, the parts are quality, but the stock pantograph operator was not on his game that day. Lock was too far back, butt plate way off, barrel channel sloppy. The only easy part to inlet was the lock. That just took a small amount of wood removal. Nothing that wasn't able to overcome, but for the price of this kit, you'd expect much better. I even spoke to TRS about it on the phone and they told me that's the way the stock was suppose to be :o. Either way I made one of my father's dreams come true and I learned a lot doing it. Just when you have to do so much tinkering to get a gun to work, in my eyes I see it as a collection of fixes, and not a smooth build like I'm use to from a plank. 
Greg

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
 Fondue you did a fine job over coming the goof ups. You and your Dad should be ptroud. Well done and Merry Christmas..