Author Topic: Head scratcher  (Read 1701 times)

Offline sdilts

Head scratcher
« on: December 12, 2018, 03:18:03 AM »
I've got a bit of a head scratcher here. I installed the double set triggers in my latest build a while back. Everything worked the way that it should. Now if you set the trigger and then cock the lock the sear releases like it should, but when you cock the lock then set the trigger, the bar hits the sear but it does not release. The front trigger works fine. Any ideas?

Offline M. E. Pering

Re: Head scratcher
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:42:43 AM »
That truly is a head scratcher.  Maybe with a little more information, an answer can be found.  On your lock, does the sear bar return to exactly the same position in each position (i.e... In forward, half-cock and full cocked)?  Is there a possibility that perhaps when you think that the bar is hitting the sear, it is in fact, not actually doing so?  I ask these things, wondering if it is possible that perhaps the trigger bar is somehow not below the sear when cocked in the manner you describe.  Just throwing out an idea, since this is a tough one.

Matt

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:30:53 AM »
I have seen that before and my friend found that the screws were lose. Lock bolt and tang screws were not as tight as they should have been and the trigger spring lost some of its power trying to move lose parts. Might not be your problem but worth checking out.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
Matt
The bar is hitting the sear. I can see the hammer move slightly.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
Sounds like it's not going to full cock?
Like Bob said, try a light tap on the rear of the cock, to see if it's fully engaged.  It shouldn't move.
There are still looming questions...... type of lock? When out of the stock, how's the release pressure? 
Maybe just a clearance issue?  Need more slack?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:22:02 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
When you set the trigger first, and then cock the lock, the lock is likely just barely "cocked" ie the notch engagement is precarious. This allows a rather weak strike to set it off. When you cock the lock first, it fully engages, and the trigger strike isn't strong enough. That's my 2 cents

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 08:00:19 PM »
Is the spring tension screw adjusted to give you maximum force?

Hungry Horse

Offline sdilts

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 03:36:19 AM »
Bob, I believe you're on to something. I filed the trigger bar a bit and now it seems to be okay. I guess it just needed a little more travel to get enough oomph to set it off.
I appreciate everyone's input.

Steve

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
I had the same problem once myself, and a few strokes of a file fixed everything up.  ;D

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:31:47 PM »
When you set the trigger first, and then cock the lock, the lock is likely just barely "cocked" ie the notch engagement is precarious.
Exactly, it doesn’t engage as DEEP into the full cock notch ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !