Author Topic: Vent liners rmc?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline recurve

Vent liners rmc?
« on: December 12, 2018, 06:15:00 AM »
Went into the local Black powder/ Muzzleloading  shop here in Muncy Pa and asked the owner(nice guy) if  he had the White lighting vent liners, No but I have Uncle mikes/ Rmc type with the allen wrench. He states it's all most the same,  it is "flaired " on the inside but not as much as white lightings.   Well has anyone here tried them(rmc),

Offline Semisane

Re: Vent liners rmc?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:57 AM »
The first thing I do when acquiring a new flintlock is install an RMC liner. (The current stable has 3 Great Plains, 1 Pedersoli and 1 Hatfield. Several that I bought and sold all had RMC liners when I shipped them out. Obviously I'm a fan of RMC hex socket liners. And yes, I remove the liner with each cleaning. 
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline VJM

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 06:43:50 AM »
I have a custom Leman the the touchhole/pan are not perfectly positioned and the RMC helped it a lot. I put them in several of my other rifles as well.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
If I couldn't put a white lightning liner in a gun I'd quit building guns. Those allen wrench liners are ugly as sin.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »
The RMC is ok if all you want to do is screw in another liner. It can't compete with the White Lightning in performance though. However, the WL takes more work to install if it's done right.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »
The only good thing I've found with RMC liners is that they are easy to remove so I can re-tap and install a white lightning liner. That allen wrench hole acts like a slow fuse. I don't like whosh-boom, I like boom.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 45-110

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
why would one prefer to remove a liner for each cleaning? a thorough cleaning can be done with out that step.

Offline Semisane

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »
why would one prefer to remove a liner for each cleaning? a thorough cleaning can be done with out that step.

Because we are all different, with different opinions.  ;D  For example, I agree with Mike that that the Allen wrench liners are not particularly attractive (though I wouldn't go so far as "ugly as sin"  ;) ). However, I do not agree with Kevin regarding RMC liners acting like a slow fuse, and don't experience a whosh-boom in any of my guns.  Suum cuique.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
I use white lightning vent liners. Dislike even seeing a screwdriver slot in a liner, much less a big old socket for an Allen wrench. I also believe if you remove the liner during cleaning, you are building yourself a potential problem, as the threads wear.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
I wonder how many shots would it take to wear out a WL liner?

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
I wore one out at about 3,000.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
That's a good bang for the buck. (pun intended)

Offline recurve

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
My only thing against the white lightning liner is that I do not have a drill press and the trust in my skill level to put it in my custom flint lock myself.  ( i use french/english flints not the 1 in photo)

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
Is there another TH liner that you feel more confident putting in with out a drill press? I have never tried but I suppose I could put in a white lightning liner with a hand drill with out a problem. You just drill the correct size hole and tap it.....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 09:26:09 PM »
It's not just drilling and tapping the hole. You need to remove the breech plug and blend in the liner.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
It's not just drilling and tapping the hole. You need to remove the breech plug and blend in the liner.
Standard procedure for all vent liners as far as I know.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 09:41:15 PM »
True, but I bet a lot of White Lightning liners are just screwed in and that's all.

Offline bgf

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
Is there another TH liner that you feel more confident putting in with out a drill press? I have never tried but I suppose I could put in a white lightning liner with a hand drill with out a problem. You just drill the correct size hole and tap it.....

I think he has a hole drilled and tapped (guessing 1/4-28) already. 

If that's the case, I'd recommend the standard thread liners with screwdriver slot that Track of the wolf has.  I know they are ugly, but not too obvious, and they're coned internally.  I use them because I used to shoot a lot offhand and it's easy to replace them.  Same with my chunk gun, which goes through liners pretty fast due to heavy loads, I guess.  Also nice if one dry balls with a really tight prb...though I'm just guessing about that :).

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
Well if a lot of wl liners are just screwed in wouldn't a lot of reg liners be just screwed in also? WL liners have 32 threads per inch and to replace a reg liner with a wl you would probably need to drill out to the next size larger.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 11:43:49 PM »
5/16x32 next size up or will he have to go 3/8x32?
Either way, MUCH better than the replacable liners.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »
True, but I bet a lot of White Lightning liners are just screwed in and that's all.
No, There's a whole big chunk of metal you use to grip the liner when you screw it in. Then you cut it off and dress it down to the level of the barrel with a file.

I really can't imagine putting anything but a WL in a gun that's going to have a liner, they preform that much better. Pretty much the same installation for all except for the ugly allen wrench type.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
No, There's a whole big chunk of metal you use to grip the liner when you screw it in. Then you cut it off and dress it down to the level of the barrel with a file.

I really can't imagine putting anything but a WL in a gun that's going to have a liner, they preform that much better. Pretty much the same installation for all except for the ugly allen wrench type.

Yes, I know. I was talking about doing some work on the bore side of the liner. They screw it in, trim it off and that's it.

Offline recurve

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:30 AM »
I agree that the white liner is the best ,My problem is getting put in(Williamsport area pa ,Dixons , kemptown said no to install)

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »
I agree that the white liner is the best ,My problem is getting put in(Williamsport area pa ,Dixons , kemptown said no to install)
It's easy enough you could do it yourself.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 01:33:25 AM »

I guess I am lucky, I have put in many White Lightening liners and have yet to have to trim one off for being too long. I always check to make sure they are not too long. Most of the ones I use are the medium size and place the in either a 45/50 caliber bore on either a Southern profile or B profile barrel. What have I been missing? I do mention that I do not countersink them very deeply.
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:38:14 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson