Author Topic: Vent liners rmc?  (Read 5383 times)

rfd

Re: Vent liners rmc?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 03:45:41 AM »
there is NO way i'd have a flintlock gun without a real chambers white lightening liner.  period.  they are THAT good.

Offline recurve

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 01:17:52 AM »
Ok today I tried to remove my old vent liner( forgot to use anticize on threads  :'( ) to see what kind of vent liner it was . Well after destroying the screw driver slot and using kroll oil I got it out ( with a lot of  *&&*%$#@$)   I have another vent liner that came with the gun , BUT now I have an excuse to try that one from Northeast traders muzzle loader shop the uncle mikes/rmc .
 new on left old right
larger hole and coned

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:58:58 AM by recurve »

Offline recurve

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 01:22:12 AM »

I had to shorten the new liner 1/32.  I used nickle spark plug antiseze stick on the new one(not forgetting the long after noon struggle,  that alone is an excuse to upgrade  to a white lightn)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:29:12 AM by recurve »

rfd

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 01:29:18 AM »
it's a great relief that at least you were able to get it out. 

that's one of the first things i do with all flinters, pull the breech plugs and liners and nikal 'em both.

Offline recurve

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »

rfd

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:49 AM »
you ain't see a really bad liner job yet ... here's the worst liner job i'd ever seen so far, i'll Never deal with that "gunsmith" ever again.  it did a lot of thinking and attempts to get the liner out, but i did (praise the Good Lord and pass the ammunition) ...

... and then installed a real chambers white lightning liner ... ah!  so much better in every way! ...

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
For those that still use screw in liners, instead of anti seize compound try wrapping your threads with pipe tape. Works just as well if not better and a lot cleaner to mess with.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
For those that still use screw in liners, instead of anti seize compound try wrapping your threads with pipe tape. Works just as well if not better and a lot cleaner to mess with.

I agree and it works on clean out screws and nipples on caplocks too.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
I haven’t used a liner on a new gun since I started coning the inside of the touch hole with the little tool one of our members makes. I know eventually I will likely have to line if I live long enough, but I get great results without the liner fuss.
I had to reline my first build a while back, it was almost self priming. I thought I had a WL in it but when I screwed it out it was different thread so I made one from SS rod.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »
RFD...you ain't see a really bad liner job yet ..

What did you have to go through to get that liner out?

Offline recurve

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 02:54:10 AM »
Got to shoot today between rain drops here in swampy Pa.. The   first 4 shots went great fast instant ignite, then things started to slow down with a slight delay 2 shots . Then 4f turned to paste and would not come out of primer and could not be  blown out  of pan(sticky). If we ever dry out here I could do some real range work. the good every shot fired, no flash in the pan without a bang , the bad 3 hang /slow ignites( 2 primed with swiss 2f ) Rain :'( rain go away...….

rfd

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 03:34:37 AM »
RFD...you ain't see a really bad liner job yet ..

What did you have to go through to get that liner out?

ok, you asked, get comfy, this will take a bit to tell the tale ...

a simple farmer's gun, nothing at all fancy.  i received it in-the-white and stained and clear coated the stock.  since i had to pull the barrel to do the finishing work, i also pulled the breech plug out and sure enuf, it wasn't anti-seize lubed as i had asked for.  looking inside was what appeared to be a burr from drilling and tapping for the flush liner (which i asked to be a chambers white lightning but was a knock-off instead).  i used a stone bit on a dremel to smooth down that "burr" but didn't get it flush.  the gun shot just ok, however, and is very pleasing to hold and shoot, with a very crisp trigger.

running down a patched jag would always catch on that "burr".  i decided to fix it once and for all, pulled the barrel and breech plug, and after careful examination i realized it wasn't a burr, it was the touch hole liner protruding into the chamber.  a big no-no.  i needed to pull the liner and file it down, but it's a flush liner with no slot and no hex key socket.  i oil up the liner and attack it with an EZ-out ... the liner starts to move and ever so slightly raises up - good.  then the EZ-out snaps off flush to the liner.  cr@p.  i really never liked or trusted EZ-outs and i just *knew* it was a mistake.

spoke to my barrel smith in PA, bobby hoyt, and he said i've got real problem due to the hardness of that busted screw - which i knew, but was hoping bobby could throw me a hail mary pass that i could catch.  we talked over several possible remedies but all were guesses.

i decided to drill a pair of 3/32" holes on either side of the busted screw and drop in some cut 3/32" music wire and use the leverage of a clamped vise grips to wiggle the sucker out.  didn't work.  what next?

i put a 1" carbide wheel in the dremel and ran it against the side of  a grinding wheel that dropped its diameter to 3/8".  i used the wheel to cut a slot between the edges of the holes i had drilled, wedged in a screwdriver and twisted counter-clockwise with a bit of downward pressure to keep the blade in the slot.   it worked.  free at last.  amen.  of course the liner had zero lube of any kind on its thread.   but what a huge hole, with a huge countersink that left few threads for a new liner to bite into.  drats.

after the above drama, and it's relieving happy conclusion, i called up jim chambers and talked it over with him.  the game plan was to first drill and tap for a 5/16x32 WL liner and see how she goes. if need be, i'd open that up to 3/8x32 and file down any of the liner past the flat. at this point, i'll take function over form any day. 

... drilled open the original vent hole, which removed more than half the original countersink ...

... then i tapped the hole ... it looks reasonably deep on the front (facing the muzzle) and sides ...

...  but less threads for the back because the "gunmaker" drilled into the breech plug and created a channel in it ...

... installing the vent liner - i can't get it in all the way, there's a whisker's space visible.

i guess that's ok and i'll just file it flush after cutting off the plug end ...

there's a bit of the liner into the barrel.

need to mark and file off or the breech plug would hit it when i screw it back in.

needed to file off about 1/16" so the liner would fit flush inside the barrel.  drilled and tapped a piece of steel so that i could do the filing and then freshen the threads when the liner got backed out ...

screwed in the liner and breech plug, using nikal anti-seize lube for both ...

hacksawed off the nub ...

filed it flush ...

drilled the touch hole out to .062" and installed the barrel back to the stock ...

after all of the above, the smoothie was like the new gun it should have been from the get-go, with uber fast reliable ignition, for a happy ending to a story that started out not-so-good.  proof is in the shootin' ....

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »
Mike Brooks...If I couldn't put a white lightning liner in a gun I'd quit building guns. Those allen wrench liners are ugly as sin.

Yup.

Much to my chagrin, I just had a smooth rifle I made float through Track Of The Wolf's site.  I killed myself making the gun without a lot of power tools, using only daylight and over intellectualizing to emulate how the old masters had to work as well as I could and based on the samples Chuck Dixon showed me.   it had , I believe it was said, fair inletting and a few tool marks, so it ain't going to a museum. Then I sucked it all in and installed a white lightening.  Man, that gun shot like a rifle ought to.

Although pleased with the gun overall, the drop proved too low so I flipped it.  Don't you know the only thing that escaped unscathed from a harsh review on the webstie was the white lightening and it's position by the lock?

Yup.  Like what Mike says about White Lightenings.

Offline recurve

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
I have a 28-1/4 vent liner in can I use the white lightin 32-1/4 or do I have to go to the 5/16-32?  What would  need to be done?

rfd

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
I have a 28-1/4 vent liner in can I use the white lightin 32-1/4 or do I have to go to the 5/16-32?  What would  need to be done?

you will need to use a WL 5/16-32 ... same as i had to, and i checked with jim to make sure.

the horribly "gunsmith" buggered vent hole and the extracted junker 1/4-28 vent liner ...

after drilling out, re-threading, installing and filing the 5/16-32 WL ...