Author Topic: RIO Bur Life?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Bigmon

RIO Bur Life?
« on: December 12, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »
Howdy all,
Just got my new jewelers saw and blades from RIO GRANDE.  They recommended I also get som BUR LIFE to use when sawing, drilling, filing, what ever.  Said it was good stuff.
No directions on use? wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
I put some on a barrel I was draw filing, couldn't see any difference.
But I just pinned the barrel and I used it on a steel tenon and it seemed easier than the brass ones without the bur life?  I just dipped the end of the bit in it.  It just seems like wax?
Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: RIO Bur Life?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »
I believe you put it on the blade whilst sawing. I know some folks use bee's wax. I how ever use nothing because I live life dangerously.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
I use it all the time on blades and drill bits.  Just run the blade over it before you start sawing.  I have used both BurrLife and bees wax, both seem to help quite a bit.  Blades last a lot longer.  Unless you snap them cos you sneezed or something.
On the other hand, if you like to live a life just plumb full of danger like Mike...…  Don't bother to look both ways when you are at a stop sign.  But do continue to lube blades and bits.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
Since I have kept bees, I used bee's wax to lube mine.  That is until I tried using nothing.  I found there to be absolutely no difference in a lubed or non-lubed blade.  No difference in cutting, no difference in speed, and no difference in blade life.  I wager I would find no difference with Rio's Bur Life either.

Matt

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »
I have used Burr Life and it works well.  However, this is the best metal working stuff I have found for drilling, tapping, saws, etc., hands down:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Boelube

It comes as a liquid, a solid, and as a paste.  I mostly use it in the solid form.  Works great for tapping the lock bolts through the stock without getting any lubricant on the wood. It also works great on my jeweler's saw blades.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline G_T

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »
The difference in cutting and blade life will depend on what you are cutting. I use a jeweler's saw both ways, depending. I find some steel cuts less gummy than some jewelry metals, for instance. But generally I would not cut steel without some lubricant, whether it is with a hacksaw or a milling machine. Aluminum I sometimes machine dry. Silver and gold alloys, I usually use Bur-Life, which IIRC is basically paraffin wax. Paraffin is less sticky than bees wax. When applying, the bees wax sticks better which is a benefit. However when cutting, the paraffin drops the chips better which is a benefit. Pick your poison. You can also use any oil just like you would with a hacksaw.

Gerald

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »
I've never worn out a jeweler's saw blade. Always break them first.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
I have used Burr Life and it works well.  However, this is the best metal working stuff I have found for drilling, tapping, saws, etc., hands down:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Boelube

It comes as a liquid, a solid, and as a paste.  I mostly use it in the solid form.  Works great for tapping the lock bolts through the stock without getting any lubricant on the wood. It also works great on my jeweler's saw blades.
I second Dave's recommendation on Boelube.  It is great stuff.  We used to use it as a lube for cutting the canopies on valves in the primary system of nuclear reactors.  One trick we used to do was to take the Boelube gel, add grade A water, put it all in the microwave to melt it down and mix it up so we could put it in a spray bottle.
David

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 03:24:44 AM »
I do keep my Boelube on my drill press, and don't drill metal without it.  Never thought about using it on the jeweler's blades, but should work.

Now I am going to have to get some Boelube gel, and some distilled water, AND a microwave!  Oh - forgot I don't have any valves to cut on nuclear reactors!  Still, sounds like a novel approach.  I know the Boelube works great for keeping the drill bit from burning.

I think next I will try bear oil on my blades.  Was lucky enough to find a fine gentleman who donated some to me.  Keeps me from Bear hunting in this Amish farm community.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 04:44:16 AM »
Off topic but has anyone ever tried Boelube as a patch lube?
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:05:22 AM »
Never owned a jewelers saw but have 6 or7 6" hacksaws and put a drop of
tapping fluid on them and it works fine.I have a 57tpi slotting saw I use on screws
and it gets a drop or two of the Rapid Tap or whatever I have on hand.

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 03:50:38 AM »
Dave and Dave:  is this product better than Rapid Tap?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Dave and Dave:  is this product better than Rapid Tap?
Taylor,
What I like most about the Boelube is that it is a cleaner product to use.  Not as messy both in touch and feel as well as smell.  The reason I say smell is that I use it for drilling holes into metal as well as tapping.  I think I can feel a slight improvement in the ease and smoothness of my cutting tools using Boelube.  Not enough that I would rush right out and buy a bottle.  I currently have both products in my shop.  When my Rapid Tap runs dry I will make my decision on another bottle of Rapid Tap or Boelube.
David 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »
Mike C, that is a very good question.  It is enough of a solid that I think you might have to melt it a bit, and like most patch lubes, you wouldn't want to use too much.  Maybe pressing a patch into the Boelube?

If it weren't so dang cold and rainy, I'd go try that with my .45 Percussion.  Maybe tomorrow.  The range is only abt 5 miles.

If I try it, I will post in BP shooting.
Craig Wilcox

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
Taylor,

I use the Boelube in all three forms, liquid, paste, and solid.  As far as a difference, I think the Boelube does a slightly better job, but I have no way to quantify that.  What I do like is that I can get the Boelube as a solid.  I do a lot of large diameter (i.e. 2" to 4") hole sawing in sheet steel.  spinning the hole saw against the Boelube stick is a lot easier than using conventional cutting lubes especially since most of the hole sawing is on vertical surfaces where the liquid lube runs off.  The solid Boelube liquifies when you touch a warm or hot drill point to it, so it is easier to apply without a lot of excess running all over things.  And, as I noted, I can use it to lube a tap that I am running through a stock to tap a lock bolt without worrying at all about getting cutting fluid on the wood.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780