Author Topic: H. Bishop, Charles Town, VA.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Skirmisher

H. Bishop, Charles Town, VA.
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »
I would appreciate any information on a "H. Bishop" of "C.T., VA." rifle.  The full patchbox is engraved, but made of a very coppery metal.  A simple cam and spring keep it closed.  Straight barrel with an excellent .340" bore.  The stock has an extreme drop, now exaggerated by a crack and some warpage.  The lock is secured by a single sidenail, and the barrel by 3 brass wedges.
Skirmisherh7

Offline Kevin

Re: H. Bishop, Charles Town, VA.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
Greetings Sir,

There is a paragraph or three about a Henderson Bishop of Charles Town/Charlestown, Jefferson County in "Gunsmiths of PEN-MAR-VA 1790-1840" by William S. Bowers.  He passed at age 67 in 1873.  His will bequests his "tools and working materials" to his son John and if John carries on the business he was to get the use of the shop free of rent.

Kevin

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
Do you have Whisker's  " Gunsmiths of West Virginia" ?  There is a photo on page 61 of a Bishop rifle. If you don't have a copy pm me & I can email you the pic & the info that Kevin speaks of in Bowers book.  Thanks for posting the pics.

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:11:05 AM »
Thanks.  You can Email me at usrifle1841@sbcglobal.net.  Here is another image of the whole gun.  Plain rifle with a straight grain maple stock and too much drop for my taste.  The original owner had to have the neck of an ostrich!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:09:07 AM »
You are welcome. I sent you some info.  I seen a Bishop rifle a few days ago that had the signature spelled backwards.  Took the owner awhile to figure it out.  Kind of odd.