Author Topic: Recent addition  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Molly

Recent addition
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
These are some really bad pics but there are all I have now.  Really like this little rifle and so happy to have a former owner take such good care of it AND for being willing to part with it...my anniversary present!

And for a few details:  Lock and trigger by the one and only (Mr.) Bob Roller.  All the hardward was, I believe, hand made.  Yes, that tang extends ALL the way to the top end of the butt plate.  Nice change from the ordinary front sight (no dovetail).  Mr. Roller calls it a "mouse rouster"....25 cal.  Shooting a #4 buckshot ball of .024 with a nice thick patch of either .015 or .018.  Fit on every part is perfect and the wood (walnut) is flawless.  Not sure of the barrel maker but the rifle was a special project of Mr. L. H. Harrison, who signed the top flat in a most artistic script.  It was made for a very good friend and a message to that effect is written on leather inside the parch box.  Thanks Don for being willing to part with it.  We have some super rifles made by many skilled and talented builders.  This may be the sweetest of them all.

Offline B.Barker

Re: Recent addition
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:53:01 AM »
Nice Tennessee rifle. I really like the trigger guard, very well done.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:59:03 AM »
Me,too. Sexy little smokepole. Best regards, Dave f 8) 8)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
 ;D ;D... That is a fine rifle, Molly and you are most fortunate to now have this one,... !!! ... Houston Harrison was a fine builder and quite a character as well,... in this photo of the Alvin York shoot from a few years back, Houston is the fellow on the far right, standing,.... take good care of her,... !!! ... regards, Cades Cove Fiddler ...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 06:16:45 PM »
Very nice gun. I'll have to point out this type of anniversary present to my wife.

Cool picture of the York shoot, I can name almost all of those folks.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
 ;) ;)... You do that, Mike,... Mrs. Brooks most likely will answer,..." that's nice,.... now you go and build you one",.... !!! ... HaHaHa,...

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 09:20:22 PM »
Very nice rifle. I suspect the fit and finish is flawless. Never saw a Houston Harrison gun that wasn't.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
  Sure glad yeah posted that picture CCG with you an Mike. Cause I thought for sure that was you in that pic. With you in the front row...!  Oldtravler

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »
That is an extremely nice rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 03:15:51 AM »
CCF:

To say Houston was quite a character would be an understatement dont ya think.....

Just sayin...….

Molly:

Heck of a rifle...…  Keep her fresh for Houston...….
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:31:13 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline vanu

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 03:54:49 AM »
Very, very nice rifle...

Bruce

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »
I have handled this rifle and the inletting on that tang was flawless! I believe you could close your eyes and have someone move your fingers over the tang and not be able to tell where the wood stops and the metal begins!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 04:31:55 AM »
Appreciate the comments from such a distinguished group.  For those who are fortunate enough to have the skills to build works like this you must take a great deal of pleasure in knowing that your work lives on and delights many for years into the future.  How can you not look at this rifle and feel the spirit of the maker, even if you never knew him.  Thank you CCF for the photo.  It will remain in my files with info on the rifle.

PS to Mr. Brooks:  If that is really you with CCF then no wonder I have never been able to find you in a crowd as I was looking the the guy pictured in your cameo photo ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:46:16 AM by Molly »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »
;) ;)... You do that, Mike,... Mrs. Brooks most likely will answer,..." that's nice,.... now you go and build you one",.... !!! ... HaHaHa,...

Mike,
I kept looking for a white tip on that "cane" you were carrying :D
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »

OK let's hear the names from left to right starting with John Braxton (I think), then Mel Hankla (I think).
Dennis

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »

OK let's hear the names from left to right starting with John Braxton (I think), then Mel Hankla (I think).
Dennis

Definitely John Braxton, don't know the rest for sure.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
Braxton, Hankla, Coon, Wright, next guy I don't know but I have seen him a lot, Harrison. Front row: Billy Burke (I think), The woman I don't know nor the guy next to her.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »
Molly, that is one of the better-looking rifles that I have seen.  You caught a good one there, but don't hang it on the wall.  Take it out and shoot those mice!
You did a good job convincing the owner to let her go.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Molly

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 04:15:54 AM »
Thank you Craig.  Sometimes I think it's all in how the stars line up on a given day.  I'll try to get a couple of better photos to post soon.  This rifle was made unlike many today, not trying to make it look "old".  The barrel and lock are "browned" but the balance of the metal has a "white" finish.  There is a very light "blue" tone to it.  Obviously the wood is intended to look "new" with natural color and a moderate gloss.  Walnut is a beautiful wood.   

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Thank you Craig.  Sometimes I think it's all in how the stars line up on a given day.  I'll try to get a couple of better photos to post soon.  This rifle was made unlike many today, not trying to make it look "old".  The barrel and lock are "browned" but the balance of the metal has a "white" finish.  There is a very light "blue" tone to it.  Obviously the wood is intended to look "new" with natural color and a moderate gloss.  Walnut is a beautiful wood.

Stunning craftsmanship to say the least.The lock is one of my Ketlands with modified plate and frizzen
and according to pictures Molly sent to me it was made in 1976.The last one I made was in 2008 for my
own gun which was a semi finished thing when I got it.The triggers may be modified Hawken triggers
made at the same time.
Thank you for showing this.It shows what the maker thought of himself but even more important,
the first owner.
Bob Roller

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 01:45:18 AM »
The two "Tarheel" Carolina boys in that photo are John Braxton of Alamance County, already identified, and the late Jerry Swift of the Elkin area of the Old North State, next to Mr Harrison. Jerry was a close friend of the late Artis White and his son Ronny White.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline trailerpark

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 04:35:33 AM »
That tang is the only one Houston ever did like that and he said he wouldn’t do another. I would love to have that rifle.

Offline trailerpark

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:46 AM »
Braxton, Hankla, Coon, Wright, next guy I don't know but I have seen him a lot, Harrison. Front row: Billy Burke (I think), The woman I don't know nor the guy next to her.
The lady is Jane Wright, David’s wife.