Author Topic: Looking for information on new purchase  (Read 3369 times)

Rabbitz

Looking for information on new purchase
« on: December 14, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help to see if I can gather any information on a rifle I recently purchased. I've always wanted to get into black powder, specifically long rifles such as the Kentucky rifle. I came across this rifle at a gun shop on consignment and took a chance based off of the little knowledge I have of the hobby. The gun shop didn't have much information on the rifle other than the owner hardly used it. Does anyone know exactly what type of rifle this is or is there a way to tell if it was a kit or built by a builder? I see no markings on it anywhere. It appears to have a very tight fit.on all parts. It is a .50 Cal. Left hand rifle. Barrel measures approximately 36 inches. All in all it appears to be in excellent shape. Any information helps. I'm still very green to the hobby. The inside of the lock upon a deeper look is stamped RUSS.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:37:08 AM by Rabbitz »

Offline EC121

Re: Looking for information on new purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
It isn't a kit, but it has some kit/ factory-made gun parts.  Looks like someone re-purposed T/C triggers, sights,  buttplate, and guard on it.  Seems to be well built with nice wood and a Siler lock.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:45:30 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
Hi Rabbitz,

Welcome to ALR.  Looks to be a well made gun, but I'm not sure that's a Siler lock.  Looking at the ends of the 2 screws behind the cock on the Siler's I have, the upper screw is a little forward of the lower one.  On the lock here, the upper screw is a little behind the lower one.  The shape of the pan on this lock doesn't look like a Siler, nor does the frizzen spring or the foot of the frizzen, but I guess they could have been reworked.

Unless you find a name on the barrel or in the patchbox, etc. it will be hard to determine who built the gun.  It looks like a nice one.  Check the bore to make sure she's not loaded or some kid hasn't stuffed something down the barrel, then go shoot!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Rabbitz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
Thank you both! Yeah so far I haven't seen any stamping anywhere other than on the back of the lock. Here is another picture of the reverse side. I too breifly looked at Silver locks and they look a little different to me but what do I know. Can't wait to teat her out!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:58:28 PM by Rabbitz »

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »
I stand corrected.  Looked too fast.  Solid bolster.  Not a Siler.  The bridle almost looks homemade.  After enlarging the picture, I can the letters RUS under the sear.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:40:52 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
That's a nice gun to start with and probably keep for a long time.  Well done!  For now take it out and shoot it a lot.

As you go along, if it were mine, I would eventually have someone change out the sights and the trigger guard with some that are more period correct with the timeframe of the gun (I think the triggers are probably ok).  You could go on track of the wolf and they have life-size pics of parts, like guards - so you could get one with a footprint that would cover the existing trigger guard inlet cuts.  An experienced builder could cut it in without disturbing the surrounding finish.   Those two changes would turn a nice gun into a very nice gun.  Much of the cost of parts and installation would likely be offset by increasing the overall value of the gun.  One mans opinion.

Rabbitz

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:38:09 AM »
I'll check into it! Thanks for the info

Offline Levy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »
Russ Hamm lock

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
Russ Hamm lock

James Levy

Looks like a Russ Hamm lock to me with the name partially
ground out of the plate for whatever reason.
Over all good workmanship and it's NOT a junk gun.

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
It's left-handed but a right-hand lock.  Great wood.  How's the bore? Also be sure it's not loaded--first rule of any gun--double triple such for M/L's.

Check the cast-off, might work both ways NP. 

Also, if the bore is good and you want to keep it that way, probably worth whatever great hurdles you must cross to get BP, never subs.  See 10 or 20 old threads around here on the topic. DO NOT believe anything they tell you at a gunshop wrt BP guns. They generally have no clue.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:39:23 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
Yes, you can see the first three letters, RUS, which nails it as a Russ Hamm lock.  I agree with Top Jaw concerning replacing the sights and trigger guard to more authentic mountings.

But that is a nice looking rifle and a keeper.  You have a good one for sure.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Rabbitz

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 04:42:10 AM »
Thanks for the info! The bore appears to be in great shape overall.  I'm lucky to live in an area with no shortage of true BP. I haven't been able to fire her yet but I am looking forward to the chance. I was not aware that it was a right hand lock? I didn't know that was possible haha. I'm all for making it more time period correct. With that said what trigger guard would you guys recommend?  Like I said I'm pretty green to flintlock rifles. I come from a precision shooting background but there has always been a pilot light burning in me to wonder into the flintlock world and I guess now is as good of time as any. I plan on having a flintlock rifle built soon with the hopes of it being as close to an original as possible, but for now this will have to do.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 06:38:52 AM »
Nosir

I think my eyes were crossed.  Forget what I said about the lock side. I should come up for air more often.

It's a real eye-catcher.  Enjoy the fun and learning.

and faux pas!
Hold to the Wind