Author Topic: Elk Hunting....Opinions Needed  (Read 4990 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Elk Hunting....Opinions Needed
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »
  I value the opinions of you guys or i'd never ask this. It's also something I never thought i'd do in hunting for elk.

At my age (76) and hunting solo, my biggest concern is getting the meat out. It's not just my age but some medical problems too.

With that said I was going to give up elk hunting and just hunt for deer and bear. Probably more deer than bear since bear hunting takes a huge amount of hiking. The problem is I don't like mule deer and bear meat that much. I'll eat it but I don't enjoy it and the dog ends up getting most of it.

So, i'm thinking of hunting for an elk calf. I never thought i'd say that but there it is. An elk calf is still bigger than a muley buck. If I can get the meat of a buck out I should be able to handle a calf too. At least I know i'll love the meat. I've never had any calf but i've read it's the best elk meat. I looked up the stats for the unit i'll hunt and there are 11 calves taken. So, I won't be alone in hunting for one.

What I like about elk hunting is I have a beautiful spot to do it and it's pretty easy hunting with no steep climbs. I'm thinking I could use a sled for the meat instead of carrying it on my back.

So, what do you think guys? Should I go for a calf or man up and shoot a buck?

Offline Don Steele

Re: Elk Hunting....Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
You have Already  “manned up” by recognizing your limitations and having enough respect for the animals to work within the limitations that you have.
Congratulations. I’d be proud to share a trail with you anytime.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
Thanks, Don. That response is unexpected.

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:09 PM »
Enjoy your hunt! Shoot and eat that calf! Be you and never be ashamed to do so. In this way do I believe you will be happy. Good luck!
Matthew

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »
I'd go buy a side of grass feed beef. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »
I have hunted in areas with late season cow and calf limited entry-draws
 I have shot both cows and calves. I hate to use the term sustainability, but there ya go. I that area, a relatively small area, there are too many Elk, this the cow and calf draw
They are the very best eating elk, by far. I am a meat hunter.
Both my wife and I do not like bear nor Mule deer, either. I choose a fat  early season whitetail first, elk second.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »

That would be way more expensive than the elk hunt Mike.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
I am almost 67 and find some of the same problems you stated. By all means take a calf elk (hopefully with a flintlock). It is the best elk meat you will eat. The most important thing is you are still out in the woods hunting. If you are from Oregon I would happily go with you. Hunt til you can't.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 11:51:48 PM »
I'm in Colorado Mike. Thanks for the offer.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
  Oldmtnman like you I have some health issues. So when I go hunt I make sure I have someone with me. Just in case. You might want to look into one of those two wheel game karts. They work surprisingly well. By myself I can pull a full sized deer out of the swamps with one.  Oldtravler

Bbell

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 12:02:20 AM »
I see zero reason not to shoot a calf. You have to know though that once you have made this choice only large cows and bulls will be in range standing broadside for you.  :)

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 12:09:16 AM »
I have one personal rule for hunting.  I shoot the first legal animal that comes within range. I shot an elk calf a few years back with my .58 Hawken. I believe I got about 65 pounds of boned meat out of it. I won't bore you with the ordeal that it was to get that quartered calf back to the truck. But if I hadn't forgotten to replace my 7 x 7 tarp back in my pack I would have boned it right there. The ground was a muddy quagmire. Best elk meat I've ever eaten.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline 45-110

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:42 AM »
I have taken elk in New Mexico and Montana. For me they never come easy calf, cow or bull, back country mountain hunting. The state reg's frequently determine the difficulty of your hunt i.e. which month, which land, which sex etc. Some guys get lucky and just drive their truck up to the critter.....but that's pretty much on private land. Maybe you have a good thing going and each state is different. New Mexico has a black powder season and Montana does not. I frequently carry a smokepole during our rifle season but not always as the shot distances can be far.
kw

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 01:07:22 AM »

That would be way more expensive than the elk hunt Mike.
But I wouldn't have to pack it anywhere..... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »
I would feel blessed beyond measure to get to take an elk calf with my flintlock rifle. I am a meat hunter first and foremost. I have taken some very small whitetails and am proud of it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 01:38:14 AM »
Yep, if anybody needs help hauling meat, I know one old semi-crippled up fella who would be happy to follow along as long as I can bring a rifle too.
Andover, Vermont

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 01:43:36 AM »
Well, this is unexpected. I appreciate all your posts. Even yours Mike.:)

That will be my plan from now on. It's a tag that I can get every year with no points. So, I can do it until my body totally gives up. It's such a nice area to hunt. Big meadows surrounded by timber and aspens with a creek running through it. All an elk needs to survive. It's a muzzleloader hunt which means 2nd week in Sept during the early rut. It will be the only hunt I do from now on.

I'll use the GPR .54 I just bought. PRB of course and the Swiss powder I just ordered showed up 10 min ago. I'd like to say it's a flintlock but the half stock Hawkens were all caplocks. I'm in the 1840's era. A homesteader in the Colorado Rockies living off the land.

It will be a fun hunt and if I fail to get a calf i'll still have a great time trying. My style is still hunting the timber. I've only hunted for adult elk, so I have a bit of learning to get a calf.

Thanks again for your help. I feel much better about this hunt now.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 11:42:37 PM »
Is this area open to out of state people too? I would like to try it too.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:38 AM »
We used to go south of Maybell I think and north of Meeker in what I think was called the Danforth Hills. Lots of elk then but it was a 4 point min. IIRC. The muzzle loader season was early Sept. and most times too hot at first for bugling. 20 plus years ago .

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
  Well, i've had a couple of days to think about this. I can't do it. I can't shoot a baby or even a youngster. My dad would turn over in his grave. I was brought up to hunt for the most mature males. To hunt close enough to them so all their sense were working and to never hunt in a stand. If I can't do that than I shouldn't be hunting. My ethics. My rules. I only have to answer to myself. No bias to how others hunt or what they hunt for.

I'll be hunting for a muley buck and boar black bear.

I thank you again for your posts. Merry Christmas and good luck on all your hunts

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »
Good for you. It’s too easy to compromise sometimes over things that matter. Everybody has to decide for themselves what really matters.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »
Here's my 1/2 cent. I know little to nothing about Odocoileus vs Canadensis biology. Here in the deep South the game biologists have for decades advocated the taking of more young doe whitetails in preference over bucks and mature does. Maybe Sqrldog will have something to add, he is the first person I would ask. This presumes that there is enough similarity in Cervidae biology to make a comparison.

Short answer: I hunt for meat, and so shoot young does because the professional game biologists say it is best for the herd, and I prefer the meat.

Good hunting!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 11:41:05 PM »
  Well, i've had a couple of days to think about this. I can't do it. I can't shoot a baby or even a youngster. My dad would turn over in his grave. I was brought up to hunt for the most mature males. To hunt close enough to them so all their sense were working and to never hunt in a stand. If I can't do that than I shouldn't be hunting. My ethics. My rules. I only have to answer to myself. No bias to how others hunt or what they hunt for.

I'll be hunting for a muley buck and boar black bear.

I thank you again for your posts. Merry Christmas and good luck on all your hunts
Was your Dad still hunting when he was 76?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 01:52:54 AM »
As a matter of fact, he was but my brother and I did all the hard work. My dad and brother are gone now, so it up to me to carry on. They wouldn't have compromised and I won't either.

In my unit they only offer 10 doe tags, so I figure the DOW would prefer we shoot bucks.

The sad part is no matter how positive I think I can't get a bull out fast enough to save all the meat. So, elk hunting is done now. It's ok. 12 years old to 75 years old. I had a good run at them.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 01:54:36 AM »
Good for you. It’s too easy to compromise sometimes over things that matter. Everybody has to decide for themselves what really matters.

Thanks, buddy.