Author Topic: Elk Hunting....Opinions Needed  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Re: Elk Hunting....Opinions Needed
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 02:18:43 AM »
Biologically speaking a calf is the best choice.  Greater chance a calf won't survive a hard winter and and an adult cow is far better at having more calves the next years.  Be the wolf, the youngest and slowest go first.  Trust your biologists, if they offer tags it's okay to take them.  Young of the year are certainly the best meat on the table, too.

I wonder what your bears are eating.  Fall bear I've taken here are fat on corn and acorns, some of the best meat I've ever had.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »
As both a wildlife biologist and a meat eater, I can say that taking a doe really helps out the herd.  Deer and elk in some areas are very capable of eating the country side bare.  Does can make 1 or 2 calves every year, for about 8 years, sometimes more.
I wish you the best of luck in hunting what ever game you go after.  I am trying to convert my VA-provided electric machine to run on treads!  But I can still walk a bit, albeit very slowly.  And I can even haul the carcass out of the woods.  most of the time!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
Colorado doesn't specify calves. They call it an antlerless elk. That can even mean a young male elk that hasn't developed any antlers yet. Most hunters take that tag to mean cows.

I've been feeling weak and tired lately. Not sure what the problem is. I'm not one to go to a doctor until forced into it, so i'm hoping it goes away. It's hard to think of any kind of hunt right now.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »
Oh, Pete - go and get checked out, will ya?  We are both too old and broke down to also be FEELING run down!
I'm very fortunate to have the VA so helpful here in Ohio.  Regardless, go get checked out - I don't need to lose yet another old timer friend!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Thank you for your concern.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
I too, possess the fault of not getting medical attention until the PROBLEM magnifies into something serious.
Time to get checked out  Pete.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Joc7651

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 12:19:07 AM »
  Well, i've had a couple of days to think about this. I can't do it. I can't shoot a baby or even a youngster. My dad would turn over in his grave. I was brought up to hunt for the most mature males. To hunt close enough to them so all their sense were working and to never hunt in a stand. If I can't do that than I shouldn't be hunting. My ethics. My rules. I only have to answer to myself. No bias to how others hunt or what they hunt for.

I'll be hunting for a muley buck and boar black bear.

I thank you again for your posts. Merry Christmas and good luck on all your hunts

Well, you have to do what feels right to you. I have no problem with your decision either way. Could you get someone to go with you to help?

If you have health issues don't put yourself in any peril. I'm sure your family would rather have you here as would I.

That side of beef isn't that expensive when compared to your health.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »
For me the scariest thing you said is” I hunt alone”. IMO, not a good move for anybody, any age. I’ve done it a time or two, but wouldn’t consider it today.

Hungry Horse

Offline shifty

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 11:00:52 PM »
    I know its not a good idea but i have hunted alone mostly for the last 16-17 years myself,don't like it but everyone i know that hunts are on a lease and i just don't do that. My children grew out of hunting they used to go with me all the time and could not wait for season to open but times have changed,wife is handy capped but she will go now and then.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 04:45:57 AM »
There might be some who question the ethics of it... Not me. If you're going to take it legally and eat it, do so.

Best of luck to you!

Mike

Offline alacran

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »
If I waited around to have some one to hunt with, I wouldn't get to go hunting much.  I've been abandoned by friends in middle of hunts, Most of my small game hunting I do alone.
I suppose this potentially puts me in the food chain. C'est la vie.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline 45-110

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
Except for when my dad was alive, I have hunted alone in 2 western states and that means 45 yrs or so. Why?... generally because I just can not find a committed friend/associate/colleague that can hack a horse ride to get there and not want to leave the following day. Seems most people are also having health issues by 50+, so If i want to hunt the mountains or traipse the hills I just go. Does seem the old time big hunting camps are few and far between. I have 9 brother in laws, and 2 kids......none of them have any interest in the pursuit. The way it goes in the 21st century.
Our "anterless" elk season is on and I took a bull calf.....no qualms for me here, I am here to hunt, not to go with out.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 01:27:55 AM »
I was away on a trip. I see this thread is still poking along

As for hunting alone. I started as a youngster hunting with my dad and brother. We hunted into the 80's when they both passed away. I never had a desire to hunt with anybody else. So, i'm still doing it solo. I don't mind it. I can come and go as I please and that's not a bad thing. I just wish I could drop the game next to my Jeep. :)

Offline shifty

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 03:08:59 AM »

If i go hunting i have to hunt alone can't get anyone to go with me.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 03:17:07 AM »
 The way to preserve the sport is to encourage a young hunter. And, the way to make a young hunter a safe hunter, is to take him along, and be a stickler for the rules.
 If I couldn’t get someone to go hunting with me, I’d take a long hard look at my behavior in the woods.

Hungry Horse

Offline 45-110

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »
Hungry Horse:
Your statement is kinda broad?
"If I couldn’t get someone to go hunting with me, I’d take a long hard look at my behavior in the woods"

I don't know where you live, but here in this part of Montana the people density is low, so hunting companions as I stated earlier are few to choose from and younger ones even less. We do not have a blackpowder season either to generate much interest. Few of the local ranchers hunt, they own all the big tracks of land and prefer their beef to venison and generally don't have too much free time.
So going it alone or with your wife works for alot of people.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
I don't know any young hunters who don't hunt with their family.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
Just finished the last of the yearling bull my granddaughter shot last fall.  Great little T-bone.  Have to put in for the fall hunt 2019 this month as the elk lottery is up first with Game and Fish Department.  Granddaughter is 16 this year and I am 78.  My son goes along to support us.  And he is pretty good at getting my old Forerunner with a stock trailer  into the kill so packing out the meat isn't usually a problem. I am in pretty good shape due to daily exercise program so several miles of walking is just normal for me even at the 8000ft elevation.   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:07 AM »
Good for you, Gerry. I'm 10- years junior to you and my left leg won't let me do that, anymore.
Going slowly with stopping often as in still hunting, I can do it, though.
At 8,000ft. ASL - forget it - it this guy.
Although at 10,000 on the Volcano at Maui, I walked around without difficulty.

On the way down.

Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
I live at 8000ft. I call that winter range. Our elk during muzzleloader season are at 11,000-12,000ft. Try that solo hunting when you're an old @$#%.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:01 AM »
lol - makes my leg & lungs ache just thinking of it.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 12:11:58 AM »
Mine too.  :P

Wynott

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 01:46:50 AM »
  I value the opinions of you guys or i'd never ask this. It's also something I never thought i'd do in hunting for elk.

At my age (76) and hunting solo, my biggest concern is getting the meat out. It's not just my age but some medical problems too.

With that said I was going to give up elk hunting and just hunt for deer and bear. Probably more deer than bear since bear hunting takes a huge amount of hiking. The problem is I don't like mule deer and bear meat that much. I'll eat it but I don't enjoy it and the dog ends up getting most of it.

So, i'm thinking of hunting for an elk calf. I never thought i'd say that but there it is. An elk calf is still bigger than a muley buck. If I can get the meat of a buck out I should be able to handle a calf too. At least I know i'll love the meat. I've never had any calf but i've read it's the best elk meat. I looked up the stats for the unit i'll hunt and there are 11 calves taken. So, I won't be alone in hunting for one.

What I like about elk hunting is I have a beautiful spot to do it and it's pretty easy hunting with no steep climbs. I'm thinking I could use a sled for the meat instead of carrying it on my back.

So, what do you think guys? Should I go for a calf or man up and shoot a buck?

Hello, I hear you on the limiting factors that come upon us.
I find there are many youngsters around who have need of help gaining some of the knowledge we have in exchange there is someone to help get my meat out.

not always.

often i try to make it in one trip using a jet sled made for ice fishing, I can put a whole elk in in it gutless method and i always hunt within 400 yards of my truck or house for elk and anything bigger thanme. also, i make sure my sledding is flat or usually downhill to thetruck or house. 

main concern is getting it out as fast as i can as the second trip usually is owned by the grizz. i lost two elk two years ago to them before i could even gut them and my wife lost one that season same way, by the time i climbed to where she shot it a sow and two 2 year old cubs were rolling around on the bull.

so I shoot them close, get as much meat as I can and assume the first trip is going to be the only trip..we dont shoot deer, but pronghorn even the biggest buck slides fine wholein the sled keeping cactus and dirt off of it and easily slides under wires, usually i need help skinning it and getting it into the truck bed, i had a stroke after several heart attacks and many many injuries when young and cant count on the left side working too much.

welcome to come hunt here I'll help best i can, all my family and friends are gone under but i can help a bit. I cant go to you probably, i dont get around like i did
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:08:05 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 03:47:50 AM »
Do you have trees nearby on the hunt? I also use the gutless method and go a step farther and bone it out too. I put it in game bags and hang the bags in a tree. Usually, about 100yds from the carcass. I'll let the bears and coyotes have that while the meat is safe in a tree.

In your case, it would be even safer in a tree as a grizz won't climb the tree like a blacky will.

Wynott

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
Wynott,
I edited your first post, it does not meet our family friendly rules. Just so you know we have several ladies that are members and a very active 12 year old. Please remember this going forward.
I say to the young fellas all the time, get the $#*! off of the couch and go make memories as one day you wont be able to get off the couch and those memories will sustain you. hunt every chance you get and sleep with every good looking woman you can, maybe twice.

well then the $#*! with you, I didn't lose an arm and leg in Nam so I could have my speech CENSORED. go !$#$ yourself commie pinko fag
Thanks
Dennis Glazener
ALR Admin/Owner