Author Topic: Pictures of my new Pea shooter  (Read 2998 times)

Big Ralph

Pictures of my new Pea shooter
« on: December 23, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »
Hi All, I had a post on here about a month or so ago and promised to post some pictures. Well here they are. This is a G. Schalk, Pottsville Pa. rifle and is marked both on the barrel and the lock. The trigger guard had a piece missing so a friend of mine repaired as best he could. The rear sight was also missing. It's a 32 caliber rifled barrel. Barrel length is 25 1/8" and is 1" across. Overall length is 41". All that was done to the stock was a light cleaning and a little oil. My question is this, does a gun like this have any collectors value? Thanks for any help.

]

Big Ralph

Re: Pictures of my new Pea shooter
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »
Here are a few more pictures of Schalk rifle. My grandson wants to go squirrel hunting with it.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
I was just going to suggest adding pictures since valuation is difficult without complete photos of the gun....and bingo, they showed up. All antique guns have some value, but I would think this one has somewhat limited collector value due to being heavily cleaned...it doesn't look like there is any original finish or grunge left on the stock. The gun is also not typical for a PA rifle with its single trigger, which may be a set trigger but hard to tell. The odd guard (for a rifle) looks more like fowler hardware, and the short barrel has probably been shortened significantly...rear sight moved rather far back...at some time in the gun's life. Germanic style target rifle with shortened barrel. Probably not significant collector value due to cleaning stock, basic late German styling, and lack of features associated with Kentucky-style PA rifles that most collectors like. The attractive burl stock wood, pronounced in the butt, is often a feature of these late target rifles made by German-trained gunsmiths. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:33:57 AM by Tanselman »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:26:21 AM »
Your rifle is missing its false muzzle.  It is likely meant to shoot a short lead slug called a "sugar loaf" bullet.  Everything has monetary value...but how much you rifle is worth, I cannot say.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
I know a guy who collects this maker. PMme and I’ll see what I can find out.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:57:07 AM »
George Schalk is highly collectible both as a barrelmaker and gunmaker. His barrels were highly sought after.  Harry Pope copied his rifling style.  That gun may be worth more than has been stated.  It's probably a bullet barrel, not a sugarloaf.

http://www.pbase.com/halp/schalk&page=all

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »
George Schalk is highly collectible both as a barrelmaker and gunmaker. His barrels were highly sought after.  Harry Pope copied his rifling style.  That gun may be worth more than has been stated.  It's probably a bullet barrel, not a sugarloaf.

http://www.pbase.com/halp/schalk&page=all

ANY Schalk* rifle is a collectors item and if it has a good bore it's worth more.
It probably is a bullet barrel rather than a Pickett or sugar loaf and maybe used
a circular linen patch.I would make sure the nipple is still good and load it with
a patched round ball over 25 grains of 3rg and see what it will do at 25 and 50 yards.
I looked at the reference T*O*F posted and that lock is a quality lock with a 3 screw
bridle on that particular gun.It's called a "bar in wood" lock and I have made a
number of them for a German shop.I still have one to make for a man on this forum.
There are quite a number of Schalk rifles in Rowe and Hamilton's book about American
percussion schuetzen rifles and many with back action locks and no forearm.
George Schalk 1825-1893,born in Wiesbaden Germany.Died of stomach cancer.
*In German,Schalk means a rascal or rogue.
Bob Roller

Big Ralph

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
Thanks to all who replied about this little gun. Some say value not much some say could have a value but nobody gave a price range. I was just curious. My grandson has his eye on it. He can't wait to shoot it. Also, I looked down the barrel and it looks like it is pretty good condition. It has three grooves that are fairly narrow. The lands are about 2 1/2 times as wide as the grooves. It doesn't seem to have much twist to the rifling when you look down the barrel. Just throwing that info out there for those of you who know about such things.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:59:35 PM by Big Ralph »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »
I'm a long time collector of Kentucky rifles, and don't generally collect these types of rifles, though have had more than a few halfstocks in the past.  With that said, value; If it were a run of the mill halfstock percussion rifle, in this condition with no original finish remaining, I'd say the value would be $350 to about $500.

George Schalk seems to be a notable maker of target rifles, so his name on the barrel will add to the value, but, most of any additional value will depend on the interior condition of the barrel. A pristine shinny bore, Great; but rust and pits add nothing to the value. Also, the false muzzle would add considerable if you have it, and reduce equally if its lost.

If you're going to use it as a shooter, I'd have it looked over by a black powder gunsmith to determine its condition as safe to shoot. Also, if you're going to use it as a shooter, I'd put some sort of finish on the stock. I don't know what Schalk would have used, but shouldn't be hard to determine.

One other possible issue as a shooter might be tearing patches while loading, without the false muzzle.

I think overall its a very nice looking rifle, and a bit of finish and fixing the broken trigger guard would make it look even better!

John
John Robbins

Big Ralph

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
Thanks John. Bore not all bright and shiny but doesn't look all pitted either. Looks a little dusty. Hard to see way down there LOL.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:37:41 PM »
Ralph, run an oily patch down the bore. Actually give the bore a good cleaning, and end with a oily patch!
For a inexpensive bore light, look for a fishing bobber night light at your sporting goods store.
John Robbins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Looking at the straight form of the trigger makes me wonder if it is a single set trigger.    I think  you have a very collectable item here.   It might be worth some investigating to see if the false muzzle is still in the possession of some former owner.
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 04:17:54 AM »
There is a nice short biography and comments on Schalk’s rifles in Ned Robert’s book “ The Muzzleloading CapLock Rifle” .    Well worth a read .   Part of the Longrifle Series published by Schumway.
Mike Mullins