Author Topic: Seeking Help with Identification  (Read 1997 times)

Texaspoints

Seeking Help with Identification
« on: December 28, 2018, 03:36:11 AM »
Thank you for accepting my request to join.

I am seeking information on a rifle that has a good family history that was gifted to me. I am not at all familiar with this subject.

I’d like to learn more about the time period it was made, where it was made and ideally by who if it all possible. The only mark I see is on top of the barrel and appears to be “A AHART”.

Family history says this was used in Georgia starting around the 1840s. After the Civil War, it was hidden in a hollow log for approximately two years and was used to put a lot of food on the table for the family.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide on this special piece. I’m glad to provide better pics if necessary.

texaspoints

2016 audi rs5 0 60

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Seeking Help with Identification
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:40:31 AM »
A. Ahart  worked in Davidson County, Tennessee and is thought to have worked in the early to mid percussion era, 1835-1850. His stock architecture, and particularly the cheekpiece and heavy guard, are similar to the work of Alfred Bearden in Tennessee. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:56:03 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
I think the brass inlay below the cheek piece was to hold a wire vent/nipple pick.

Texaspoints

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »
Shelby,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I appreciate it.

Shannon Graham

Texaspoints

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
I think the brass inlay below the cheek piece was to hold a wire vent/nipple pick.

I’m not familiar with all the terms (still learning) but I think you’re correct. This small plated area has a channel that contains the remnants of an old feather.

The patch box on the flip side contains some bee’s wax-like substance. Any ideas what this might have been for?

Thank you.
Shannon

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:55:29 PM by Texaspoints »

Offline Mick C

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:31:38 PM »
Very nice rifle and great info.  Thanks for sharing.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »
Patch box may contain what was once lube for the patches which is now dry and hardened.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
If I Would have guessed I'd say it was NC. But, I don't know much about this type of TN rifle, learn something new every day.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »
The patchbox on this Tennessee rifle falls within a school of gunmaking in northern TN in/near Sumner County, with its construction and outline. The superb Thomas Simpson rifles of Sumner County are the best known examples of this school. These patchboxes were made of heavier cast brass, with the "captured" or enclosed lid having a "hidden" hinge on the bottom side, not visible as on the more standard sheet brass boxes with their normal segmented hinges. The "wave" design along the upper and lower edges/leaves of the patchbox is typical of this school, as is release button in/on the upper leaf, and the use of curly maple for the stock when many other TN rifles used walnut.

This maker's work is seldom seen, at least to me, and would be a good addition to this site's Library collection of early rifle pictures. It would be helpful to know the rifle's barrel length and bore size (approximately). In addition, a picture of the last six inches of the barrel with the muzzle cap would be helpful, so see if the barrel is original length, or might have been shortened slightly during its working life. Another picture of the tang at the rear of the barrel would also be helpful to document this rifle. It is an attractive and interesting Tennessee rifle, and as such, is a good candidate to put into the site's Library if the owner would be willing to give their permission.  Shelby Gallien

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 01:59:38 AM »
The captured lid patchbox with the cutout in the finial, plus that it does not pierce the buttplate is starting to seem like a dependable "middle Tennessee" trait.  Very nice rifle!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
Good golly, I never even looked at the box, nothing NC about that!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
The cheekpiece is the most forward I’ve ever seen.
Andover, Vermont