Author Topic: 10th Annual ALR Winter Meeting at Ft. Boonesborough - TODAY - Jan. 26, 2019  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Ron, looks like we’ll probably need that fireplace!  I’m bringing an in-progress piece, a few straps, and some other odds-n-ends.  See you tomorrow!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

I'll be there after I run my trap line. If I get a cat I'll bring it along too.

Offline Stoner creek

C-A-T-S! Cats, Cats, Cats!!!
Oops different kind of wildcat.  :o
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Pat_Cameron

I'll be there after I run my trap line. If I get a cat I'll bring it along too.

That would be cool. My neighbor saw TWO bobcat leaving my yard two days ago.
Likely kittens that got kicked out by mom.

Pat
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
What a good time!!!  It was great meeting everyone.  There were some fine rifles there.  Thanks Stoner creek and B. Barker for hooking me up.    I’ll try my best to produce a fine product.  And, Ky-Flinter,  it was my fault,  I had plenty of time to turn. Haha.   My pictures stink.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:12:28 AM by Afghanvet »

Offline Greg Pennell

Ron, thanks so much for setting these up...I had a great time, and as always picked up some tips and inspiration.  It’s such a relaxing way to spend a winter day...great company, nice rifles, tall tales...what’s not to like?

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline B.Barker

Made it there a little late. I had to run a cat down this morning. Had a good time and met some new folks. Sorry I don't remember any ones names never was good at that. I do remember faces though. I enjoyed talking to Afgahnvet and another Eastern Ky vet. Seen some nice rifles and swapped some huntin tales. A good day at the fort.

Offline p.d.

A very nice gathering indeed.

Offline David R. Pennington

Thanks for posting the pictures guys. Looks like a good time. Sure missed being there.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pat_Cameron

Rumor has it that some of the stories that were floating around that room were even true.

But I don't put much stock in Rumors.

Had a great time as usual.

Pat
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
I hope everyone had as good a time today as I did.  Thanks to everyone for coming.  It's you guys who bring out your treasures for others to see and handle, and the discussions that follow, that makes this a great event.

You never know what you may see at Boonesborough.  Joey found this set in an old farmhouse in Harrison Co, Indiana that was scheduled for demolition. 

Attached to the strap are the remnants of a cane powder measure.  Something else was attached below the measure but all that is left is the knot.  The cap tin was full of caps, but the bag also had a small priming horn.  We wondered why.  The larger horn is still full of powder.  The inside of the ball mold is still shiny.  The canvas material showed evidence of cutting the patch at the muzzle.  The bag also had several pieces of large bird quill.  We were puzzled about that too.  Joey looked and looked, but unfortunately the rifle that went with this set was nowhere to be found.

-Ron

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:51:01 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
Hey guys, I really enjoyed myself.  What a talented group!  The best thing I can say about this and all the ALR folks is that everyone I’ve ever met is always eager to share how to do things. I’m already looking forward to the next event.   Thanks to Ron for organizing!

Offline Don Steele

Thanks for posting the bag & accessories from Indiana. I enjoy seeing true originals from "back-in-the-day".
I'll offer my thoughts on the presence of the priming horn in a bag with caps.
I'm thinking the owner who put that bag together was shooting a caplock rifle. ( I know...DUH.) Folks are wondering then, why the priming horn..?
We have a fellow in our club who shoots a caplock and keeps a small container of 4f priming powder handy for those times when he dry-balls. He prefers to simply pull the nipple, put some 4f in, replace the nipple and shoot the ball out. Perhaps the individual carrying this bag had the same preference. Especially when in the woods, it would seem easier than trying to pull a ball.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Joey R

Without the rifle for reference I guess it could have been converted from flint to cap?? If only the rifle could be here to speak to all.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

:o :o :o... Ron,... thanx for your interesting story and photo,... reminds me of my own Father telling me about when he was a little boy in East Tennessee,... in the 1920's the family  moved from their old farm to another one, in a two-horse wagon and left two old hog-rifles in the smoke-house,.... !!! ... and I believe the small horn was a "day horn",... enough powder for a one day hunt without having to carry the whole bag and large powder horn,,,,, small horn, patchin' and caps could  fit into the pocket of your jumper,... didn't need much,... one shot = one kill,... a deer, a few squirrels, then back home.... you weren't on a long expedition,.... Thanx again,.. regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler ....

Offline J. Talbert

Ron,
Had great time as always.  It's always good to see familiar faces and great to see a number of new faces this year.
Probably the biggest turn out so far and a lot of great stuff,

Thanks for getting it together and thanks to Fort Boonesbourough.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline David R. Pennington

What caliber was the mold?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
What caliber was the mold?

I have started a new thread in the Accoutrements section about the Original bag and contents.  It has many more pictures and details.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=52740.0

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:02:44 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline Stoner creek

I was just looking at all of the pictures. I didn’t realize that I’ve lost that much hair off the top of my head. No more pictures of me please.  :(
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Joey R

That's why I keep my hat on especially in cold weather. Had a great time visiting with all and thanks to Ron also for heading this up.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
Ron, thanks for setting this up, and thanks to everyone for welcoming a new guy. Y'all are a wealth of information and amazing craftsmanship. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and am looking forward to starting my own project someday soon. See you all at CLA.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
Guys,
You are all very welcome.  I am glad I'm able to set this meeting up each year.  I so look forward to it, and have a great time myself.

Of course it's great to see old friends, but I especially enjoyed meeting and talking to you new guys.  We needed to offset all this grey hair (or lack of hair, hahaha), so we appreciate you joining us. 

I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

-Ron
Ron Winfield