Author Topic: Woodrunner-ish  (Read 5948 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Woodrunner-ish
« on: December 30, 2018, 03:11:13 AM »
Here is a Joe Schell rifle built on the woodsrunner pattern that Mr Dan Fruth was kind enough to supply me a pattern. Thank you Dan. I really like the pattern but wanted one in a iron mounted version an Joe built it according to what I wanted even though it aint historically correct. Started off with a Charlie Burton 38 inch 62 cal swamped barrel which he coned for me while he was making the barrel. The lock is a Chambers virginia that Chris Evard altered an tuned. The stock is a piece of slab sawn sugar maple with some really nice curl that I got from Brian Huffman. Joe forged all the hardware himself an built it as I specified with very little carving an no engraving except of course his J-S on the barrel. The front sight is a 1962 silver  quarter which is my birth yr an set in a copper base an the thumb piece is a 1936 silver quarter the yr my mother was born Joe made the ramrod with quite a bit of taper which I like. The wood is stained with aqua fortis an the finish is pure bees wax which is melted into the stock. Several coats have been applied. The metal is several coats of aqua fortis an then the boiling water bath. The bag is from Curt Lyles an the horn is from Jeff Bottinger. I received the gun yesterday an shot it at 25 an 50 yrds today an it is a shooter. Hope ya like it

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Joe Schell

Re: Woodrunner-ish
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:25:16 AM »
Hopefully we'll see this laying on a deer soon.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 03:28:53 AM »
Nice rifle Joe made for you Wattlebuster. Any Woodsrunner would be proud to run the woods with that rifle. You still have time left to try it out on an Alabama whitetail. Bring it to the Wheeler show in two weeks and let me hold it and give it a real close inspection. Hope to see you there. Tim

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »
If I get to come to the show (Elderly mother) you can count on getting to give it a once over Tim ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:46:31 AM »
In this case, if iron mounts are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 05:01:50 AM »
Good looking rifle.  I admire those who can forge nice mounts like these.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 05:09:41 AM »
Joe is a talented artist. Thanks for posting your rifle. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »
That’s a heck of a Christmas present!  Nice rifle...looks like the local hog population better be nervous!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
I love the period correct sling, nice job!

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »
Sweet looking rifle gun.
All gave some Some gave all

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »
A fine looking outfit there, Buster. I'm sure you will have many years of pleasure using it. Joe, Jeff and Curt all do fine work. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
I agree Bob that ensemble by talented craftsmen certainly go well together.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
An excellent hunting rifle!  I'm not familiar with the "several coats of aqua fortis and then the boiling water bath" treatment.  Care to enlarge a bit on that?

Your last picture showing the rifle in profile shows the comb almost parallel to the sight plane...an element of a comfortable shooting rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
An excellent hunting rifle!  I'm not familiar with the "several coats of aqua fortis and then the boiling water bath" treatment.  Care to enlarge a bit on that?

Your last picture showing the rifle in profile shows the comb almost parallel to the sight plane...an element of a comfortable shooting rifle.

Taylor the one to answer water bath question would be Joe but I will give it a go an maybe Joe will correct me if needed. He applied several coats of A fortis in like a 2 day time period. He then puts the barrel in a 2 inch dia pvc 40 pipe that has a cap on the bottom end. Then just plain ole boiling water is pour in the pipe till full an wait till cool. Wah lah when the barrel comes out the pipe it is nearly black in color an you just rub it back to the desired color. I hope I got this right or close anyway. As far as the shooting goes its a very comfortable gun to shoot. I along with my brother in law put about 25 rds thru it yesterday. I believe its gonna be a good shooter

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 11:47:06 PM »
That's a super nice rifle!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 12:30:01 AM »

Taylor the one to answer water bath question would be Joe but I will give it a go an maybe Joe will correct me if needed. He applied several coats of A fortis in like a 2 day time period. He then puts the barrel in a 2 inch dia pvc 40 pipe that has a cap on the bottom end. Then just plain ole boiling water is pour in the pipe till full an wait till cool. Wah lah when the barrel comes out the pipe it is nearly black in color an you just rub it back to the desired color. I hope I got this right or close anyway.

Sounds like plain ole' rust bluing, using aqua fortis as the browning agent.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 01:22:32 AM »
A very classy looking early rifle.  I especially like the wood and metal finishes.  The shaping of the patchbox lid is very nice too. 

I agree, if that iron hardware is incorrect, who cares?  It looks super.   :-) 

As Taylor said, that straight comb line speaks to me of no cheek pain. 

Well done.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 04:03:01 AM »
Nice looking rifle and them 38" barrels are handy.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 02:33:18 AM »
Well I got to hunt today an caught this 9 pt with love on his mind. The shot was about 22 yrds. He was crossing a little stream an I was up on a bluff above him. Even though im sitting on the ground its like shooting out of a tree stand. The 600 ball put him down in his tracks. I dont have scales anymore but i would guess him about 170 give or take a pound

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:55 AM »
Looks like the woodsrunner is living up to its name. Congratulations Allen nice deer taken with a great looking rifle. I don't mind telling you I'm a little bit envious. Tim

Offline EC121

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 03:50:45 AM »
Excellent.  Nice deer.  Nicer rifle.  Must be dryer in N. Alabama than it is around Montgomery.  Too much rain around here to get out much.
Brice Stultz

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 06:39:16 AM »
Congrats!  Now that’s a fine rifle put to its best use!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

galudwig

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
Beautiful rifle. Great deer! Congratulations! Curious if you had Joe put any cast off in the butt and if so, how much? It looks to me in the very first picture that there is some cast off, but maybe it's just the picture. Thanks!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Beautiful rifle. Great deer! Congratulations! Curious if you had Joe put any cast off in the butt and if so, how much? It looks to me in the very first picture that there is some cast off, but maybe it's just the picture. Thanks!

Yes sir there is cast off but im not sure how much. Maybe Joe will pipe up an answer that. It had Rained all night wens but quit about 6 yesterday morning.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 03:55:21 PM »
I knew there was a masterpiece hiding in that particular stock blank for someone wanting a shorter barreled hunting rifle!  Joe did a fantastic job.  Congratulations on a fine gun and a fine buck to break it in on!   

-Brian Huffman