Author Topic: The Spears rifle  (Read 2143 times)

Chrisweiler

The Spears rifle
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:09:49 AM »
On the blog there’s a post about a Hershel house gun called “the Spears rifle”

If I was a to have a blank cut/buy a pattern, what style would I need to look for?

Thanks much (my version might have to be called a “dull” spear but we’ll try it anyway)

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: The Spears rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:24:56 PM »
Chris, there is plenty in the contemporary blog about Hershel House.  He and his brothers made rifles in the "Woodbury" school manner.  Perhaps some research on this would turn up something for your "Spears Rifle" project.
Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/07/hershel-house.html
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:08:08 AM »
Chris find you a good picture of the rifle, blow it up to life size
 and make you a profile of the stock. Use this profile to start your rifle and adjust as you need to based on desired length of pull barrel weight and other variables. Someone like Dave Keck, Knob Mountain Muzzleloading may have a precarve close to what you want. Cost little to give Dave a call. He's good folks to work with 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:31:38 AM »
Chris, there is plenty in the contemporary blog about Hershel House.  He and his brothers made rifles in the "Woodbury" school manner.  Perhaps some research on this would turn up something for your "Spears Rifle" project.
Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes.
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/07/hershel-house.html

There are a few pictures of the Spears Rifle at the link Craig provided.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Chrisweiler

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 07:33:04 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback!

A little apprehensive about trying to go directly from a blank/inletting ramrod channel(I just need to do it, trees are growing every day), so keeping option open as to having that part done

This rifle seems to follow Hershel’s earlier work? I know after the 80’s he started
Doing later period rifles (wider buttplates   right?)

I want to try and forge my own hardware, outside of following the picture, is there a style of buttplate available commercially that I could buy and emulate? (or use if I throw in towel).

Appreciate all the great knowledge here