Author Topic: Plain late fullstock percussion iron mounted gun  (Read 1668 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Plain late fullstock percussion iron mounted gun
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
I picked this up at a local auction New Year’s Day. This auction is at a VFW and often has guns from estates with no provenance. This “poor boy” appealed to me so I bought it.  Not in the black, and has some careful restoration. One never knows if all the bits are original.  The only un-average details are the long thimbles 2 and 3/8” long and the weak cheekpiece. It has an octagonal barrel but is smoothbore now. No buttplate. Comments and impressions are welcome.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Plain late fullstock percussion iron mounted gun
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
 :o :o... I like it,... !!! ... cannot offer a guess as to origin,... but definitely a plain gun,.... I think there are more of these out there than we think,... they just don't get the attention because they aren't what most call "pretty",...  that  being said, the trigger-guard does have a Deep River North Carolina look,... have seen that style on more "typical" D.R. rifles,... what are the bbl & overall lengths, and approx calibre,...??? .... thanx for sharing this one,... regards, CCF,....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:05:02 PM »
Thanks, CCF. Barrel is 43” and change, is about an inch at the breech with a very slight swamp, and it’s about .54 smooth right now. Would make a good bear rifle if hunting with dogs!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 04:31:42 AM »
I believe you are near a feller what would put some rifling in that ol smoothie!!! Another great find,Rich  Dave 8) 8)

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
Really like these plain old beauties, thank you for sharing!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline heelerau

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
I believe you are near a feller what would put some rifling in that ol smoothie!!! Another great find,Rich  Dave 8) 8)
Maybe a trip to see Bobby Hoyt ? Nice to see even these plain work aday rifles being treasured.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:24:01 PM »
I’m freshing or re-cutting rifles now and guys in my club rifle barrels from scratch. More of a “do it myself” approach when possible. But I’m not that tempted to turn this one into a shooter. Yet.
Andover, Vermont