Author Topic: Simple Shooting Pouch - Bag #9  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Marcruger

Simple Shooting Pouch - Bag #9
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:56:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

I thought I'd share a few photos of a simple shooting pouch requested by a gentleman.  He asked for a simple, inside-out welted bag in dark brown.  It is 2/3 ounce cowhide body with a 4/5 ounce flap.  The rolled welt is buckskin.  The requested large inside pocket is made of soft goatskin.  The inside finish (like the back of the straps) is a neatsfoot oil blend with Fiebing's Pro Dye. After setting for a day I seal it with suede protectant to insure no dye transfers to clothing.  The button is a reproduction 1607 coin.    Nothing fancy, just basis as was ordered.  I hope the gentleman likes it.  Best wishes and God Bless,  Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Simple Shooting Pouch - Bag #9
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36:31 AM »
I used to own (think I sold it to Tim Cosby) a bag almost identical to this one (IIRC). It was made by Clay Smith. I think he said it was a Botetourt County VA bag or somewhere in that general area of VA.

Nice looking bag.
Dennis

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd share a few photos of a simple shooting pouch requested by a gentleman.  He asked for a simple, inside-out welted bag in dark brown.  It is 2/3 ounce cowhide body with a 4/5 ounce flap.  The rolled welt is buckskin.  The requested large inside pocket is made of soft goatskin.  The inside finish (like the back of the straps) is a neatsfoot oil blend with Fiebing's Pro Dye. After setting for a day I seal it with suede protectant to insure no dye transfers to clothing.  The button is a reproduction 1607 coin.    Nothing fancy, just basis as was ordered.  I hope the gentleman likes it.  Best wishes and God Bless,  Marc

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 02:47:22 AM »
You're right Dennis.  Ed Wenger has one of Clay's gorgeous, finely crafted bags, and I love the styling.  I think he called them "Rockbridge" bags, but I could be wrong.  Clay doesn't make them any more, preferring to concentrate on gun work. Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:25 AM »
Another fine job, Marc. Keep them coming. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 06:01:22 AM »
Marc, that’s another nice one!  Where did you get that fine buckle for the strap?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
 Another Beauty Marc, well done.

Tim 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »
Thank you gents.

Greg, here's how you make the buckle.  You take a piece of thick brass and a file.  You drill and file for days, heading for a buckle that looks like James Rogers did it.  You make a total mess, then throw it all in the trash.  You next contact Richard Lanni on Facebook and ask for a selection of nice buckles of a certain width.  You send Richard money, wait a while, and voila!  Nice buckles arrive in the mail.   :-D 

Richard sends them highly polished.  I soak them in Easy-Off to remove any coating.  After washing and wiping with alcohol, I cold blue the brass which darkens it.  I buff off the high surfaces, and use a clear dull-coat on the top.  I make a tongue out of heavy wire, cold blued. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the chuckle, Marc...that sounds like a description for many of my own projects... :o

I’ll file that contact for Richard for later!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mick C

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
That's really beautiful.  Thanks for sharing!  Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

River Runner

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:32:40 AM »
Marc, great job!  I am sure the new owner will be pleased with it.  Your answer on the buckle was priceless.    ;D

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:13:02 AM »
That’s a very nice pouch.  The quality of it only comes with experience and knowledge.  I’m not seeing the simple part.  Haha. 

Online EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 04:06:25 AM »
Simple but nicely presented idea.  I'd like to see your attempts at a buckle, scrap or not. 

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 06:57:33 AM »
Nicely done Mark. I see the term "simple" self-applied to the work of many these days.  I guess it's just a popular "thing"?
It's all simple if you know how to do it and you evidently know how ; )

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
Hi James,  Thank you for the note. To clarify, the buyer asked for “simple”. This bag is the same construction style as the first bag I made, so it was simpler for me as there was nothing “new” I was trying. It also is not lined nor does it have rolled edges.

I do try to put my best finishing knowledge into each bag regardless.

My apologies if my choice of words was not the best. Compared to your lovely shell bags, sporrans, etc, this bag is waaay simple.  :-)

Best wishes, and God Bless, Marc

Offline aaronc

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 02:34:51 AM »
Great work Marc.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:40 PM »
Nicely done!

Icoreiny

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 02:04:40 AM »
I just received this new hunting bag today. It’s as spectacular in person as it is in these pics. Marc’s attention to every detail is remarkable. I couldn’t be more pleased.
Than you Mr. Hamel for a job well done!