Author Topic: Jaeger signed MM Lane ?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Jaeger signed MM Lane ?
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
Lane not too common or even feasible for a Germanic surname , but doing a bit of internet wandering find that the name could have French background.  Anyone who has a copy of Stockel's care to check for MM Lane? 

Joel Hall

Offline louieparker

Re: Jaeger signed MM Lane ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
MajorJole do you think that name could have been added after  the fact ???/...LP

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
M-J,

The rifle looks a nice one, but could (going by the guard,) have been made in Belgium or France.
Yes, we do sometimes see this guard on SW German pieces, but more so "over the borders".
Are there any marks on the barrel breech?
Some more nice clear close-ups would be nice, including the lock.
To me, the stock shape also has a strong resemblance to the places I mentioned above.
Again,  Very nice rifle!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
My first impression is that signature was added later for some unknown reason.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:26:48 PM »
Alternatively M. M. Lanc.  Something written above it as well.  Martin Mylin Lancaster. LOL
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
Schreckmeister nailed it.  It's a later addition and it's supposed to represent "MM / Lanc" with an "er" and little underline in superscript.  It's not the only one out there, either.  Have no idea when or who added these but they're crude and not the New England guy who was doing all the signatures much earlier in the 20th century.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:35:27 PM »
Thanks all for your thoughts so far.  If you click on one of my photos, you will see where the BB hyper links are.  Just click on Majorjoel and it will take you to a whole page of better pictures.   Joel
https://majorjoel.imgbb.com/?list=images&sort=date_desc&page=3&params_hidden%5Buserid%5D=OZw&params_hidden%5Bfrom%5D=user
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:40:49 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:44:25 PM »
Still a great jaeger
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:30 PM »
Rob, those 3 tiny letters that are off set above the Lanc look to be "ter"    :o   

Joel Hall

Offline Levy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
As others have said already, I think it is an abbreviation for Lancaster.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:11:17 PM »
So it is curly maple or English walnut.  I see curl.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:40 AM »
The barrel markings are not even remotely as fine as the workmanship on the rifle itself. Still a neat, somewhat later, Jaeger rifle. I really like the carved stag box cover. The rounded lock moldings with the pointed lock tail look weird though.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
Schreckmeister nailed it.  It's a later addition and it's supposed to represent "MM / Lanc" with an "er" and little underline in superscript.  It's not the only one out there, either.  Have no idea when or who added these but they're crude and not the New England guy who was doing all the signatures much earlier in the 20th century.

You gotta be crapin' me..... ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
So it is curly maple or English walnut.  I see curl.
Curly euro walnut.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Not in Stockel.
There are a bunch of Lane's - all with Birmingham or London addresses except the Boston hardware & sportings goods dealer Lane & Read.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »

Unfortunately, in this case, nope.  There was an awful lot of funky s-t going on in the first half of the 20th century, although I guess upon reflection there's STILL a lot of funky s-t going on!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:09 PM »

Unfortunately, in this case, nope.  There was an awful lot of funky s-t going on in the first half of the 20th century, although I guess upon reflection there's STILL a lot of funky s-t going on!
That is really outrageous! "MM LANC er" ::) I'm so stupid I had no idea  I was supposed to be faked out and think it was a Martin Mylin gun. Do you suppose anybody back in the 20's actually believed it? ??? I  hope not.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »
Trying to fool a collector using a European rifle by adding an American name and address!  ::) Scandalous!     Oh wait!  I guess if a hardware store can do it successsfully and get away with it back in the day, why can't Marty McFly do the same. ;D 

In reality, and IMHO, the later barrel signiture on this piece diminishes my desire to add it to my collection.  The reason I put this out here is to learn all I can about it before making said purchase.

I have once again been saved by the knowlegeable folks here on the ALR!  Many thanks especilly to Rob and Eric.   YHS Joel
Joel Hall