Author Topic: Using a CO2 discharge kit  (Read 6516 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Using a CO2 discharge kit
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:39:41 AM »
Ordered a CO2 B.I.D. discharge kit from RMC Ox-Yoke.   Instructions leave something to be desired.  First, the instructions describe a non-threaded CO2 cartridge, but the kit includes threaded bottles and threaded discharger, so I just screwed it in till it punctured the seal.

The kit came with two tips and a short (about 2") nozzle extension.  It gives a good shot of CO2, but I'm wondering if it's enough to truly discharge a stuck ball.  I was expecting a bit more vigorous puff of CO2, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm dubious about getting a good seal around the vent hole without having to take the lock off of any muzzleloader. 

Has anyone used the RMC B.I.D. kit, and if so, did it perform correctly?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Using a CO2 discharge kit
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:21:19 AM »
At a youth shooting event, where we were trying to get the kids to try black powder, my old Harpers Ferry got a mini bullet stuck about two inches from the breech. A friend had a discharger and offered to blow the bullet out. I was dubious because of the weight of the bullet, and the fact that the bullet was not seated. No problem, it blew that big slug out so hard I would not want to be on the receiving end of it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »
If your vent is low, you might have to remove the lock I guess.  I never really thought about that...I don't have an issue with any of my guns. 

Like hungry horse said, it'll blow projectiles out with a bit of authority.  I unloaded a shot load in the backyard once....pellets hit the fence 15yds away. I was very surprised by it...and the "crack" of the wads.   

It doesn't take a ton of air...it builds up pressure that forces the ball out...once it starts moving, keep it moving.

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »
the CO2 discharge kit I have comes ready to remove balls form either cap or flint locks. The main unit come ready to fit over the nipple and a hallow needle pin that will fit flash hole one most flint locks. I have not had and problem getting to the flash hole with out having to remove lock. Your experience may vary.
All gave some Some gave all

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
My local Sheriff’s office called one day to ask how to unload a cap and ball revolver. I told them at first to take it to the range and shoot the rounds out. But, had a second thought about a  modern criminal deciding to carry a cap and ball firearm, and told them not to shoot it, for fear that it might be loaded with modern powder. We pulled the cylinder, and blew the balls out of it with a CO2 discharger. It worked so well that the sheriff’s office bought themselves one.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
The key to expelling the ball is to have a tight seal between the cap/vent and the CO2 discharge head. If there is any loose/free space between the two interfaces then you lose gas pressure and nothing happens or maybe a slight movement of the projectile. One thing I have noticed is that the CO2 cylinders don't last in the unit once you puncture them (use them or loose them). I have an older one and it works well but like I said the gas will not stay in the unit for long once the cartridge is punctured - have a bunch of cartridges on hand.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Ludo Van den Bussche

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
I use one - more often than not to help fellow shooters - regularly. Succes in blowing out a ball depends a bit on how much fowling there is in the barrel, how tight the patch/barrel combination is... Most of the time a ball is expelled in the first try ... But make sure you have a tight seal. Sometimes a second cartridge is needed but not often... When a ball really wont budge, I spurt some WD 40 in the barrel and let it soak a bit to loosen any fowling - that usually does the trick. Oh and I really don't need this gimmick myself, because I never ever dryball!  8) ::)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:47:48 PM »
Some of those CO2 dischargers use such a small bottle of CO2 that they don't have enough volume to work with a large bore/longer barrel. I re-plumbed one for use with my air compressor when I get in from hunting.

Offline bones92

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:47 AM »
Wish someone would make a discharger that one could pump by hand to build up pressure, then blast any dry ball out of any barrel.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 02:48:29 PM »
I've used one twice on myself and three times on other guys guns.  Just shove it against the touch hole and hold it as hard as you can.  Make sure nobody is on the front end.

I am told the manufacturer learned their lesson and are not cranking them out with the thread mismatch issue.  Just try to find CO2's without threads for your model and you will be fine.

Offline bones92

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
The discharger is threaded, and they sent threaded 16 gram bottles, so I think it's just a matter of using up the old instructional inserts.  I suppose any 16 gram threaded CO2 will work when I go through the three bottles they sent.

Offline nemovir

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 02:28:56 AM »
The Gun Works Muzzleloader Emporium sell a flintlock adapter. Only place on the web I could find. All else had the universal plastic tube which never worked for me.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=558&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:35:52 PM by Nemovir »

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »
Nemovir...The Gun Work Muzzleloader Emporium sell a flintlock adapter.

Thanks.  Where is this adapter on their website?

I've seen the CO2 work several times, where the ball always comes out with the same sound as a pellet gun and has some measure of force, so it requires care.

I've also learned that, if you get one where the bottle is threaded and the receptor is not, SEND IT BACK because that problem seems to have been solved with later models

Offline FDR

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 07:29:14 PM »
Nemovir...The Gun Work Muzzleloader Emporium sell a flintlock adapter.

Thanks.  Where is this adapter on their website?
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Ball%20Discharger&SubCat2ID=188&do=list&Cat1Name=Tools

Fred

rfd

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 03:29:22 AM »
i had one of those CO2 "dischargers" and it was a dud for blowing balls out of flintlocks.  near impossible to keep the nozzle over the touch hole.  a waste of money and time, for me.  this is one reason why i make sure i can remove breech plugs.  however, unless the dryball is wedged in super tight, a ball worm usually works well as long as the screw is small of diameter and a bit long.  one thing i keep meaning to make is a ball screw worm drill.  about 3/32" ought to be just right to predrill a hole in the ball so that the worm won't drastically expand the ball and actually wedge it in tighter.  the drill should be easy to make using a proper sized jag.  it'd prolly work well on tight balls, too.   :o 8)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
If the worm is a bit small in diameter and wants to slide off the face of the ball you can use a cleaning patch around the ball screw to help keep the whole thing centered in the bore and on the ball. Lube the bore well before you try to do any pulling.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
I adapted a basket ball/football pin inflator to my c02 dis charger for unloading my flintlocks.  It has worked well for me, but most of the touch holes on my flintlocks are slightly bigger than the standard 1/16th.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »
Make sure you are using a "correct" ball puller. Tresco makes pall pullers for every caliber. They come with 10-23 or 8-32 threads, and have a brass collar that makes sure the screw stays centered in the barrel. If you start with the barrel vertical as opposed to horizontal will also keep the screw centered in the barrel. Once the screw has made contact with the ball just exert enough downward pressure to start the screw into the ball then thread it in until you can not turn it anymore. Using a range rod will really help but if you are using your ramrod invest in a quality ramrod puller (like the ones made by Jas. Townsends and son). These ball pullers are available through The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon. I have pulled many balls at shoots to help others and carry a few of different sizes in my range box. They only cost $2.75 each.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

rfd

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
if it's a patent breech plug (most of the offshore guns), the sure fire flintlock dry ball unloader is to sift powder into the touch hole (or remove it), through the flue and into the ante-chamber. 

Offline bones92

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
Maybe the CO2 tanks that came with my kit were sub-par.  They seemed anything but robust in discharging. 

Overall, I was not impressed by the general construction of the discharger.  The plastic molded nozzles seem cheap.

There's a guy at our club who has an older, brass discharger.  That thing works like a champ.

I wonder if one of those pancake compressors would work better...   If so, I may donate mine to the club.