Author Topic: Another Gillespie gunmaker discovered  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Another Gillespie gunmaker discovered
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:27:05 AM »
I just had a 91 year old retired gunsmith from Pickens SC (he ran the Marxman Gun Shop in Pickens NC) contact me about his GG GF William Hansel Gillespie of Pickens County NC. He is the son of my Gillespie gunmaker GGG GF William Gillespie of East Fork NC (Today's Brevard NC). I knew William had one son, John Harvey Gillespie, that was a gun maker in Henderson County NC but I had never heard that William Hansel Gillespie was also a gunmaker. The old gentleman told me that Hansel had a shop in Pickens and that he remembered as a small child (he was born in 1928) playing around in the dirt floor of what was then a black smith shop. Later he found out this was Hansel's gun shop. Hansel died in 1879 at the age of 65 years of age.

The old gentleman said he remembered some type of uprights in the middle of the dirt floor and also a huge rock formation which he has since learned was a large forge. He also remembered something overhead that reminded him of a banjo or guitar which today he suspects was the bellows for the forge.

In talking with him I asked if he was familiar with George's Creek (today's Pickens NC) area of Picken's County, he was. I told him that circa 1786-1799 old man John Gillespie lived there and family legend says he had a forge there. The old man told me that back in his early days he remembered a building in that area that had a large stone forge in one end of the building and had large lathes with overhead pulleys running them. He said the building has been long gone and I am sure it has no connection with old man John G. (they moved over into NC circa 1799) but it may be the source of the Gillespie's Forge stories for that area. There are 3 or 4 different, un-related Gillespie families in that area so it could have been a different family running the forge.

Is there anyone that lives in Picken's, Picken's County SC that may have some information on these two locations? Or knows of anyone that might have some information?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wildcatter

Re: Another Gillespie gunmaker discovered
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
Dennis,

Give me through Tuesday of next week and I think I can get you some information.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:05:07 PM »
That was a helpful encounter with the old gentleman, Dennis.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:53 AM »
Dennis,

Give me through Tuesday of next week and I think I can get you some information.

Matt

Great, hope you can.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ole442

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Dennis:

I am a new member to the site. I am interested in the Gillespie gunsmiths. My link is to Gillespie's from the Tazewell Virginia and Eastern Kentucky areas. Not sure yet about NC but am working on my genaology since retiring. Since I just retired and am trying to accomplish a lot of things on less funds but will buy your book on the Gillespie Gunmakers in the near future. I have found this site to be very interesting.
"Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun"

"Ancient hatreds & modern weapons-that's my kind of show" - George Carlin

"Realism can sometimes be mistaken for pessimism!"© 2019

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
Just read your post. If your Gillespie roots are in Tazewell County VA I feel sure you are related to the gun maker Gillespies. Give me a call some time and I probably can help you with the connectionx.
Dennis

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:57:01 AM »
It’s great when a fresh source comes along.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.