Author Topic: Flint touch up  (Read 1568 times)

Daryl Pelfrey

Flint touch up
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:31:27 AM »
Im trying to find a tutorial on keeping the flint cland up/straight. Cant find one hre. I did rwad a article on usjng a nakl with a notch cut n it once. How do you guys do it? Im just getting into flinters.

Offline M. E. Pering

Re: Flint touch up
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:18:04 AM »
Never heard of a nakl… er… nail with a notch filed in it.  But I just pressure flake mine in the field with a piece of antler, though I usually carry spare sharp flints with me, so not usually an issue.  I cut my own flints from nodules, and once I get a good flake struck of the nodule, I mount a cold chisel straight up in a vise, and put the fine edge on it with a small tack hammer.

Knapping flints does take some practice, and my way is certainly not the only way.  I have also used chert that is native in this area instead of flint, and though it works, I much prefer English flint.  I was fortunate that archaeology classes in college had labs attached, and we had to learn flint knapping.  200 dollars a credit hour well spent. ;) 

Matt

Edit:  Better yet, watch this guy's excellent videos on it

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:52:29 AM by M. E. Pering »

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 07:04:54 AM »
Lol,,, I sure can spell. My fat fingers get me in trouble. Thanks for the info. I did find a couple articles on it.
 Thankyou sir.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5590.0

Here's a thread on knapping the flint...about half way down the first page I posted some images of me going about the process.  Hope this is what you were looking for.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:45 PM »
Thanks to both of you.Looks like I can learn that.

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
 M.E.--great video. Now I need to get a hammer as smart as yours--all mine are dumb!

rfd

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »
i use a turn screw for gun flint edge tune up knapping ...

Offline kutter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 12:19:40 AM »
I realize it's not M/L PC,,but I use a worn out for my other uses) EZE-LAP Diamond Hone to sharpen flints.

I use them in my other restoration work frequently and they do wear out to the point that they don't cut as well as I'd like them to on steel.
I put them aside anyway (never throw anything away!)

I tried one on a flint one time and found that it shaved the flint remarkably easy.
Like filing hard wood or ivory with a very sharp/new fine cut file is about all I can describe it.,,and this is with a 'worn out' EZE-Lap

I've used both the Black (course) and the Purple (Medium) on flints and they both cut well.

These things...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZE-Lap-Economy-Diamond-Medium-Grit-Diamond-Hone-and-Stone-Sharpener-EZLLM-NEW/223282271246?hash=item33fca9140e:g:JGsAAOSw32lYthjf

I usually sharpen the flint while it's still in the jaws. Just a few swipes accross the edge sharpens it right up to a nice even knife edge. You can quickly change the angle if you like as they cut the flint fast. I've used them to reshape the flints on top and bottom to get rid of bumps and uneven surfaces so the jaws can get ahold better too.
The flint debris you remove is just dust,,it's that fine.

Hide the plastic gizmo in your buckskins so you don't look out of place and turn your back on the other shooters as you sharpen your flint. But it works fast and clean and doesn't destroy the precious flint any more than necessary to produce an edge once again

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 01:36:59 AM »
I knapp flints like rfd demonstrated.  Taylor sent me a nice piece of copper that I turned into a flint hammer/screwdriver.  It works very well.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.