Author Topic: Deer Tallow  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Deer Tallow
« on: January 13, 2019, 03:24:55 AM »
How well does deer tallow work for rust prevention?

Offline Longknife

Re: Deer Tallow
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
Never seen a rusty deer!!!!!! LOL sorry, I had to do it!!!!! Seriously, Animal tallow was about all the old timers had to work with, just make sure your tallow is SALT FREE!! PS There are much better modern made products to use now,,,IMHO,,, ED
Ed Hamberg

rfd

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:34:36 AM »
why pose yer question?  rust prevention for what item(s)?

there are LOTS better rust inhibitors than any tallow, but tallow is better than nothing. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 04:24:41 AM »
I use it under the barrel on a longrifle, (or short for that matter!)

The Packington guns were preserved with deer tallow, and showed no rust after 150 years or  a bit more, but were inspected and treated occasionally over that time.
This was in England, not a country known for arid conditions.   (sometimes called the "Misty Isle")

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
Wasn't Ireland the misty isle?  Maybe both, I don't know.
There are too many better treatments to prevent rust to risk using an animal fat that might have salts in it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:40:19 AM »
My limited, inadvertent test of hydrogenated, unsalted lard as a preservative  - in a Mississippi summer - convinced me that it worked just fine, possibly better than some petroleum oils. Best way to find out how well tallow works is to try it and see.

The lard did turn orange as it dried, which nearly gave me a heart attack before I realized that underneath the orange stuff the metal was still shiny. I wonder if some of the belief that animal fats don't work as a preservative is based on people mistaking the drying fat for rust.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »
I can only speak from my own experiences and observations. Tallow works as a preservative  I have put away an expensive flintlock with deer tallow expecting to use the firearm within a month and could not return to use/inspect for two years.  Much to my relief, the rifle showed no deterioration at all.
It was stored in a dry basement in northern Pennsylvania with a stable temperature.

I have hunted extensively in wet conditions (wet driving snow and light rain) and have observed how the barrel and stock bead water wiped with tallow.  There are several members here who make their living in science and chemistry so they can correct me on the technical stuff but as I understand it, to protect from rust one must keep out the oxygen and displace water.  Tallow seems to do that.

The ‘natural ‘ products play nice with black powder. Petroleum products do not.  Ballistol is the exception in my experience. Again, the pros with the letters after their name can correct me on the minutiae.

All fats are not created equal.  Just as one would not put kerosene in a modern gasoline engine even though they’re both made from petroleum and burn, I would not use just any fat on my firelock given a choice.  Tallow is made from the ‘fat’ from around an animal’s organs, not from around muscle.  They have distinct properties. Tallow fat is harder and more waxy in feel.  I think it’s that waxiness that makes tallow good at keeping out oxygen.  The pioneers used tallow specifically to seal jars of preserved food, not just any fat.

I think that’s why “animal fat” got a bad rap as a rust protectant; the distinction was lost and people used bacon grease and wondered why it accelerated rusting.  I also think that the “armchair “gun writers who just use promotional advertising copy verbatim, perpetuated the myth and encouraged their readers to buy the modern miracle petroleum based lubes.  Sorta like the myth that Damascus barrels Will blow up with smokeless powder.... but that’s another story.

Others mileage may vary.

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
 I haven't tried deer tallow for rust preventive mostly because of a negative experience using mink oil to do that. It worked poorly, even allowed rust in the tin I stored it in. maybe all animal fat is not equal for that?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »
I have been using, with good results for years mutton tallow from Dixie Gun Works.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 12:10:05 AM »
Barricade for the bore and something waxy for the outside.  Never tried any animal fat on a gun.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Phil Neal

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 05:37:23 AM »
After reading about rust on this forum, makes me so happy I live in ultra dry Nevada. However I do envy the liberal deer seasons back east.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
Works fine.

Animal fats vary quite a dadgummed bit.  Ever get deer tallow in your mouth? Not like swine or bruin fat is it?   Not at all indeed! PIgs and bears have some delicious fat!  Venison tallow, on the other hand, makes me gag to think of it in my food.  It's waxy as all get out and most folks don't care for the flavor/texture of such.  I certainly don't.

Nothing I've ever swiped with tallow has offered to corrode.  The notion of salt being in fat that I harvested/cleaned strikes me as odd.

I've not done any testing, but have read that wool wax was used for corrosion reduction on the metal parts of ships, after man started using metal on ships (a little while ago, but I don't know the numbers).  That'd be a good test to run if you like olde things:  Deer tallow vs. sheep squeezins (lanolin/woolwax).  Good weather for it too.
Hold to the Wind

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
 Fluid Film has wool wax in it. I now use it on my gun exterior all the time and in the bore for long term protection. Around here (salt country) many favor it for a car rustproofing spray.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:22 PM »
I’m not a big proponent of venison tallow for protecting metal. Not because it won’t work, but because it will get rancid and stink. I love it for patch lube, or for lubing cushion wads, for my shotgun. Makes pretty fair candles when blended with a little bees wax too.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 12:26:02 AM »
Hoppe's #9 powder solvent is one of the very best rust preventatives, second in the test, better than the rest almost as good as Eezox.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 03:21:11 AM »
... but because it will get rancid and stink...

How many years does that take? Never had any get stinky on me yet, but I do double clean it and put up pure white tallow. Or is this a reaction to iron?  Curious as my limited experience with it differs, no odor at all from what's been in the grease hole for at least two years.

Hold to the Wind

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
I have deer tallow that's 5 years old, and still pure and not smelly.  If rendered properly, it will last for years. No refrigeration required.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 05:44:18 PM »
I have deer tallow thats about 4 yr old an it still good. Im on the last of my bear grease which is 5 yrs old. I figure before this summer out i will be out. You will hear a fat redneck cry like a baby.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
I haven't tried deer tallow for rust preventive mostly because of a negative experience using mink oil to do that. It worked poorly, even allowed rust in the tin I stored it in. maybe all animal fat is not equal for that?

The problem with mink oil is it's not pure mink tallow. It's sold as a patch lube and does that well. Does anybody know what the ingredients are?

Offline shifty

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »

The problem with mink oil is it's not pure mink tallow. It's sold as a patch lube and does that well. Does anybody know what the ingredients are?

It is supposed to be rendered from Mink fat but who knows for sure.

Offline shifty

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 06:30:58 PM »
Hoppe's #9 powder solvent is one of the very best rust preventatives, second in the test, better than the rest almost as good as Eezox.

I love Eezox used it for years with no problems,just can't find it locally anymore.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »

It is supposed to be rendered from Mink fat but who knows for sure.

I'm talking about what else besides mink tallow.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
Pure Neatsfoot oil. Can be found at most saddle shops or in my area at Wilco or any farm supply that has an equestrian section. Make sure it says 100% or pure Neatsfoot oil. If it doesn't say that on the front label it has been cut and don't use it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 04:08:17 AM »
Pure Neatsfoot oil. Can be found at most saddle shops or in my area at Wilco or any farm supply that has an equestrian section. Make sure it says 100% or pure Neatsfoot oil. If it doesn't say that on the front label it has been cut and don't use it.

if it's not pure, it should say "Compound" on the label.  There is no pure NFO in my town-both ACE and the farm/feed store only have compound. So I ebay it.  Works for a patch lube too. Ne'er tried it for rust preventative. Might. 

Hold to the Wind

Offline recurve

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 05:45:22 AM »
I found 100% Neets foot oil at tractors supply.