Author Topic: Cracks in antler  (Read 1813 times)

Offline webradbury

Cracks in antler
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:20 AM »
I recently acquired a sizeable amount of whitetail antlers to use for knife handles. The antlers have the usual small cracks one sees in old antlers. I’ve never had to deal with cracks, so can they be filled? I hate to let all these horns go to waste, especially since my stock is almost depleted. Will
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Cracks in antler
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:35 AM »
 I have found that dry cracked, not by anything but just natural drying, antler doesn't work well, chips easily and in some cases almost goes to dust. Look up finishing Pens with super glue and it may give you some ways to stabilize it but you will probably not be happy with the results. Usually starting with thin and while it is still wet putting on some Medium and may be some Thick, the thin will wick in the thicker. Let it dry and work it. If you try this route shape and finish it before you put the glue on it because it doesn't take a finish. Feel the same about it as I do delaminating horn, ain't worth the time, l quit trying years ago.

Tim C. 

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:19 AM »
I recently acquired a sizeable amount of whitetail antlers to use for knife handles. The antlers have the usual small cracks one sees in old antlers. I’ve never had to deal with cracks, so can they be filled? I hate to let all these horns go to waste, especially since my stock is almost depleted. Will

I make it a rule that I only use hard sheds or cutoffs. Not much you can do with the cracks in terms of period blades. Non HC solutions are to stabilize with a resin, but as mentioned it might not endure hard use.

Anymore I'm pretty particular about my antler buying these days. When I buy I might go through a pile and only choose a handful.

Offline FDR

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »
Cut your handle pieces first and then send one or two to be stabilized. I did that to a Mule deer antler that I picked up in Colorado while on an Elk hunt. It worked fine. Your mileage may vary.

I have used this business, for wood, more than once and can recommend them. Give them a call and tell them what you are trying to do.
https://www.wooddynamics.net/

Fred
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:44:44 PM by FDR »

Offline shifty

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »

There was a web site that told how to stabilize wood your self but you needed a vac pump.

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
If you want a plastic handle, then by all means have the antler stabilized. Personally, I'd find better antler.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline shifty

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
If you want a plastic handle, then by all means have the antler stabilized. Personally, I'd find better antler.

That's about the size of it .

Offline FDR

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »

There was a web site that told how to stabilize wood your self but you needed a vac pump.
https://www.turntex.com/product/cactus-juice-resin-and-dyes

Fred

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:47:55 PM »
I don’t even consider antler that has visible cracks. Have had too many fail after considerable work was already done. I rarely use shed antlers, because the deterioration has started on these before they fall off. I find a meat hunter that has no attachment to the small racks he has hanging in his garage, or shop, and try to talk, or trade him out of them.

Hungry Horse