Author Topic: Patch Knife Source?  (Read 4423 times)

Offline 44-henry

Re: Patch Knife Source?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 01:50:24 AM »
Personally I would forget the idea of a small fixed blade knife, they probably were not used much in this way. A better choice if you wanted a smaller knife would be a reproduction Barlow folding knife, or a friction folder. This is what I use.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
Personally I would forget the idea of a small fixed blade knife, they probably were not used much in this way. A better choice if you wanted a smaller knife would be a reproduction Barlow folding knife, or a friction folder. This is what I use.

Neat, what is that knife called?

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 11:19:48 AM »
What you want then is a common knife that is correct for your chosen time, location and station. There really were no "patch knives". I would search put a common butcher or altered table knife of the period. 
That said, I can document antler handled knives on the straps of hunting bags to the 1820s  ;)

Knives on pouches that early? I’d like to see that source.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 10:54:06 PM »
if I'm remembering correctly those folders were called "penny knives". Some of the fellows are still making them and I think Clay Smith has them on his site. A similar knife to them would be the Opinells. Made in France with wooden handles and various sizes and shapes I sand off their name on the handle and stain them. They come in both carbon steel and stainless and are reasonably priced.
Mark
Mark

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »
These penny knives?

https://www.claysmithguns.com/knives_folding.htm

They look AWESOME!!! Tell me, would they make a good patch knife? Looks like a GREAT option to tuck in one’s pouch!!

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
 A penny knife should make a good patch knife, and they are light in weight. Those offered by Clay Smith look very good, and are more than fairly priced. When I make them, mine sell for over twice that. Clays' penny knives look like a very good deal.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 06:47:57 PM »
That LRB guy makes the best knives in the world!
I have three!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »
That might be a bit of a stretch, but thank you Dane.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:27 AM »
A penny knife should make a good patch knife, and they are light in weight. Those offered by Clay Smith look very good, and are more than fairly priced. When I make them, mine sell for over twice that. Clays' penny knives look like a very good deal.

Well hi! Are you Wick LRB? If so I found your website, and your knives look AMAZING!!!

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 07:24:13 AM »
The one in the picture above is one of my penny knives. I got the idea from one Wick posted some years back, he makes the nicest ones that I have seen.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:31:01 AM by 44-henry »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »
You did a very nice job 44. looks good!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »
Wade, I have a "patch knife" made by a member here.  Nice wedge shape, good steel.  Really easy to sharpen to an edge that lasts.  Did try shaving with it once, and realize what you said about shaving and patch cutting.

Interesting topic, for sure!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »

Well hi! Are you Wick LRB? If so I found your website, and your knives look AMAZING!!!
[/quote]

I plead guilty of being he. Thank you for your kind comment.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
 Here is a jig I made to cut my slots. The saw is a SAWZALL blade in a cheap wood grip. The jig is adjustable for length, width, and taper. I turn my grips on a HF mini wood lathe just a tad longer than  finished length, then insert into the jig. The lathe leaves center marks in the grip. These marks are centered in the jig slots, the jig is tightened and sawed at the rear to that mark, and to the ferrule shoulder at the front. takes only a few minutes to saw. That is a piece of broom handle in the pic. It never fit my hands right anyway. The openings in the angle iron have hardened 01 steel backings to reduce any wear from the saw. The blade slots are in the 01 only. Probably not necessary, but I had plenty of it around.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:45:10 PM by LRB »

Offline Curly Bean

• Starting Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
TOTW has quite a selection of patch knives. Mine came with a neck sheath. Convenient way to carry and readily avaible.