Author Topic: Horn W/Patch/Tow/?? Box  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Horn W/Patch/Tow/?? Box
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:15:13 AM »
  Dennis sent me a pic of the original of this horn a couple years ago, I think it was on the Blog also, anyway I am just now getting around to trying one.
 It is a little over 10" around the outside curve. The first pic (didn't realize it was so big until I previewed it)shows the divider inside, with out it the powder capacity would be cut way down. The compartment is sealed with Bees wax. The cover is tin, turning the little button at the bottom holds it in place and releases it. The Pine base is about 2 1/2" and held in with 9 iron pins, with a staple for the strap. The divider is held in place with Wooden pegs.
 Something a little different, guess you could carry tow, patches, flints, etc...in it. The finish is a hot oil dye bath, steel wooled back and then the standard Brown shoe polish.
 I have spent less time making and inletting a patch box on a rifle than I did making the hinge and fitting this simple looking cover and I'm still not happy with it!

Tim C.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:39:16 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline aaronc

Re: Horn W/Patch/Tow/?? Box
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:35:51 AM »
Tim,..I think it's cool as all get out, nice work................but what the he!! is it   ??? ????      As in what do you put in it ??   Pardon my ignorance.  -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:49:58 AM »
Neat!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:17:37 AM »
That is so neat!  A feller could carry balls and patch material, and not need a bag for just a short squirrel hunt. Just grab your horn, rifle, and go. Sure makes you wonder what the original maker had in mind...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
Tim,..I think it's cool as all get out, nice work................but what the he!! is it   ??? ????      As in what do you put in it ??   Pardon my ignorance.  -Aaron

As I said in the title, good question. Here is what I started with, looks like Tow:

Considerably smaller than my rendition.

Tim

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »

As I said in the title, good question. Here is what I started with, looks like Tow:

Considerably smaller than my rendition.

Tim

Well...it's even more interesting now that you posted the original. I'm going to try to look up the blog post. It pretty much bust the door wide open to use a horn as storage for anything,,,,anyway you can. I've got a tinder horn on my to do list,...seen a couple of originals in my library. Great work. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
Looks very good but an awfully large container compared to the rest of the horn, I'd have done the tow section a bit smaller.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »
Tim,
Great job on an unusual horn. I have a flat "ball" horn with a cap compartment built into it. I'll bring it to Canters Cave if you're going to be there.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:15:45 AM »
Very clever!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »
Okay. That is crazy cool. That lid is fascinating, as is the internal divider parts. I love the way you take on challenges!  God Bless, Marc