Author Topic: John Bull rifle  (Read 7815 times)

Offline sqrldog

John Bull rifle
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:33 AM »
One of the reasons I enjoy going to longrifle shows is getting to see original rifles.  The Al Ky show at Joe Wheeler State Park had lots of beautiful original rifle and some really nice contemporary work on display. One of the rifles that caught my eye was a John Bull rifle on Wayne Elliott's table. It is a really unique southern rifle. Wayne has graciously given permission to post some  of the pictures I took with my cell phone at the show. What first caught my eye was the really nice and different patchbox. The rifle also has keys instead of pins and silver escutcheons on the rear most key. A nice molding along the ramrod grove adds another artistic touch to this fine old rifle. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Any particulars as to cal. barrel length and width will have to come from Wayne.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:10:27 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline sqrldog

Re: John Bull rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:48:22 AM »
More pictures

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:02:28 PM by sqrldog »

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:26:21 AM »
Fantastic rifle! Enjoyed examining it at the Alabama show. Thanks for the pictures.

Adam

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:15:31 AM »
 :o :o :o... She is a very nice & different Tennessee rifle,.... not what you expect to see,... !!! ... thanx for pix,... did you get any pix of the "typical Tennessee"  Gross rifles,...? ...

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:47 AM »
CCF I did not get pics of the Gross rifles. I plan on doing a better job of taking pictures next time. Some really nice southern rifles at the Wheeler show. This rifle just sort of jumped out at me and I wanted pictures of it. Not your standard rifle for sure. Tim

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
.47 caliber. 44” barrel. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Very neat rifle

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »
Thanks for showing these pictures.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
You guys figure the Bull gun was made in NC or AL? Anyway to tell or just pure speculation?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
Mike I don't have the expertise to answer that question. Perhaps one of the collectors more knowledgeable would hazard a guess. Tim

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 11:36:06 PM »
Mike, I don’t know if anyone can answer definitively Tennessee or Alabama. ( John Bull moved from Tennessee to Alabama about 1823.) However, this rifle is inscribed “John Moore” and Tim Hodges found a John Moore near where Bull lived in Tennessee. And I don’t see this as a late rifle. I intend to research John Moore further. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
Oh, TN I thought sure he started out in NC. Sure is a nice gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 02:04:12 AM »
 ??? ??? ???... where is the  patch-box release located,... ???

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 07:12:24 AM »
I haven’t been able to open the patchbox yet. It may be a hidden release under the toe plate that has frozen up. There are no release buttons and pressing on the sideplates doesn’t work. 
Wayne Elliott

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »
 :o :o :o...  WOW,...!!! .... good luck with that Wayne,... !!!

Offline bgf

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
That is a nice Tennessee rifle, even if it ends up being from Alabama :)!  Thanks to you both for sharing.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:48:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics.  That's very nice and I especially like that patch box.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:58 AM »
That’s a dandy, for sure!  Is the forestock molding typical for Bull?  It’s surely a nice feature, and one I don’t remember seeing on many (any?) other Tennessee guns.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline BruceH

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 03:27:55 AM »
Try pressing one of the patch box screws.  It may be disguised.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 03:17:25 AM »
Im posting this on Tims thread at his request. I live about 5 miles from where John V Bull lived an built rifles up until his death. Its located in Bear Creek Alabama. I went by his grave today an was shocked to find it all grown up around it. I will trim this up very soon as I hate to see it like this. Anyway here is a few pics though they are bad ones. It with my phone an its was clouding up so please excuse the poor quality. His grave is on the exact spot of land that his home an shop was

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:40:39 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Dan Breitenstein

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:45 AM »
Gorgeous!

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 06:18:26 AM »
Cool pictures. Its a shame nobody tends the grave.

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
Tim,
I can't believe I missed this post.  Beautiful rifle.  Thanks for sharing.
David

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 05:42:15 AM »
Im posting this on Tims thread at his request. I live about 5 miles from where John V Bull lived an built rifles up until his death. Its located in Bear Creek Alabama. I went by his grave today an was shocked to find it all grown up around it. I will trim this up very soon as I hate to see it like this. Anyway here is a few pics though they are bad ones. It with my phone an its was clouding up so please excuse the poor quality. His grave is on the exact spot of land that his home an shop was

Wattlebuster, thank you for honoring him so. That is one of my favorite things to do for those long gone, and no one left to honor them. It started with my family, and just goes on . Best regards, great old rifle from a great builder. Dave / RedBear 8) 8)

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 07:05:34 AM »
Allen thanks for posting the pictures of the marker of the resting place of a great southern gunsmith. I appreciate it. If I was closer I would come help you tidy up his resting place.  Tim