Author Topic: J. Roop Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle  (Read 2903 times)

Apriestley

J. Roop Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »
Hello all,
Just before Christmas I bought this piece by Jacob Roop of Swatara Township, Dauphin County PA. Being a resident of Harrisburg, it wasn't a rifle I could pass up. It is also my first foray into original American longrifles and I wanted to share some pictures of the rifle. Jacob Roop marked on the barrel, flintlock with straight rifling. I fired it for the first time this week and it was sure fire every time. The balls I used were undersized, so my next step is working up an accurate load. These pictures were taken by the vendor I bought the rifle from, and they re-pinned the area just before what is left of the nosecap before I took ownership of the rifle.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:43:25 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Chris_B

Re: J. Roop Pennsylvania Flintlock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
A beauty, thanks for sharing!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »
Very nice. My family is from very close to where this was made. They were gunsmiths as well and intermarried with Rupp’s. The buttstock shaping has a similar comb transition.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:29:17 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:15 PM »
J Roop made some very nice rifles! I wonder if you could post the sellers description of this one. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but looks like a lot going on here? Am I correct in seeing that its been broken through the lock mortise area?

Just noticed that this is your first post, so welcome to the forum!
John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:55:33 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Apriestley

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 02:49:01 AM »
J Roop made some very nice rifles! I wonder if you could post the sellers description of this one. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but looks like a lot going on here? Am I correct in seeing that its been broken through the lock mortise area?

Just noticed that this is your first post, so welcome to the forum!
John

I actually bought this off the rack from The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg. They did not post this one online. I stopped in for a quick visit and saw the rifle but really didn't have time to give it a long look over (wife was pretty eager to get in an out) I called about it the next day and they emailed me some pictures. The person I talked to did not actually think it was functioning, I guess they did not know you have to set the trigger before bringing it to full cock.

Unfortunately the big flaw with it is the break at the lock mortise. I am going to look into having that repaired this year.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
What am I seeing in a line on the sideplate.  Are those brass nail heads?  Interesting.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:56 AM »
I think the side plate may be a later replacement, odd shaped to cover some prior wood damage, but with engraved and decorative details to enhance its appearance. Lock bolts are new, lock may be replacement, so I'd look closely at side plate, both outside and inside, before assuming it's original to the gun. Shelby Gallien

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
It's been converted back to flint and has a lot of weld on the side of the  barrel breech. Who knows how funky that restoration/repair may be on the inside. Not something I would be anxious to shoot, and I've shot a lot of old guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?