Author Topic: Barrel mark  (Read 1698 times)

Offline JSperry

• Starting Member
Barrel mark
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »

Hello,
I am asking if anyone has seen this barrel mark “MR” and if anyone recognizes anything about this patch box.  I believe the gun is from SW Pennsylvania or possibly an early WV gun.  I am hoping to find something to help date this rifle.  The rifle is signed but is not legible.   Thanks

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Barrel mark
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:55:29 AM »
Looks like n interesting gun, but kind of hard to date with nothing more than a picture of a patchbox and a barrel mark....
John
John Robbins

Offline JSperry

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »
These are the only other photos I have of this rifle. As can be seen it was an original flint and the barrel has been cut back about 2 inches.  The current barrel length is 46 inches.  Several of the inlays have been removed.  I would love some help on the signature of anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »
I am kind of surprised as unique as that patch box is that someone on here does not have a clue.  Just guessing but I think Western Pa.  If the barrel maker is a known PA gunsmith & not just a barrel maker, you might try see in how many PA makers match up with those initials.  I just looked and not many.  Real neat rifle, thanks for sharing.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 06:42:52 PM »
Have you seen the stamp in person?  Could it be MR or MK?  It looks more Dauphin County and east to me.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:33:50 AM »
I think it is MR.   Maybe Sperry can post some more pics of the whole rifle.  I really like the patchbox.  Love the inkblot Rorschach test piercings in the front panel.  :)

Offline vanu

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 02:19:12 AM »
Need more photos to be sure, but kind of looks like it may be a restocked piece with a mix of earlier elements such as the side-plate/early large head/domed lock bolts seem to be inconsistent with the stock architecture; therefore the barrel becomes just one more part of a larger puzzle.

Bruce

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:52 AM »
Lock bolts get replaced on the reg
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.