Author Topic: On Any Sunday  (Read 2136 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
On Any Sunday
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
For years I posted images of our gang shooting during the winter months, but the truth is, we haven't been doing it this winter, in spite of record high temperatures.  Today, it was 4 C, clear sky brilliant sunshine and little wind.  So five of us got out there and spent three hours having fun in the snow.  Here's a shot of us after we had finished shooting and were on our way out.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:44:30 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Old Ford2

Re: On Any Sunday
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
That is a fine picture of good old friends spending a time well worth remembering.
Thank you for sharing the picture.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:21:28 PM »
 ;) ;)... Old friends gettin' together for a shoot is the best of times,... !!! .... at least it was a tolerable 39F degrees,... still, I don't know about all that snow,... as I've gotten  older, I've found I must keep my fingers and ears covered too,.... only one fellow has gloves on,... !!!... BTW,... that second rifle from the left is a beauty,... know who built her,...??? .... all in all, looks like a fun time,... !!! .... regards, ... Cades Cove Fiddler ......

Offline BarryE

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
Great photo Taylor!  Could we get a bit more info on those pictured and what they were shooting?

Offline horsetrader

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
Real nice picture of good friends having a great day in the woods. Thanks for posting.
Ed Radzinski

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:53:23 PM »
Love the photo!  Thank you.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
...and who says you can't shoot flint in snow and cold weather. Great photo, keep going out til you can't.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »
Outstanding..... Good times.

Looks like a lot of years experience and friendship there.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:05:47 PM »
Fine lookin group of Hiver'nans,Taylor. Brings back pleasant memories of our bros. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:28 PM »
" BTW,... that second rifle from the left is a beauty,... know who built her,...??? .."

Cades Cove Fiddler - I don't remember who built that little rifle, which now has a .36 Rice bl.  I bought it from Jim Chambers at Dixon's,
many years ago on consignment, as it was a cap-lock, Jim converted it for me with a Durrs Egg L&R lock, that LC Rice tuned.

I need to strip the stock and re-stain and finish  as it has some nice curl, which is covered by the stain used originally.

If you click on the picture, you can see the orange fox. target. He's 92 yards from the firing line & is target #13, iirc.

This one is a round gong target, 109 yards distance, which is 100 meters.

We have a lot of targets closer, steel gongs as well as straws, string cuts, card splits at about 10 yards, for easy card-punches,

with steel targets from about 15 yards out to 60 or so, then the longer ones.  They are well mixed up but it is not an easy course of fire.

All together we have over 50 targets on the trail.  There are a lot of rifle targets in the 40 to 65yard range.  As well we have almost that many

pistol targets, ranging from point blank to about 40yards.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:49:40 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 12:01:47 AM »
Starting from the right:  Norm Pearin shooting his left hand Chambers' Pennsylvania fowler in 20 gauge that he put together himself...shoots it like a rifle!  Next to him is Neil Hunter who peruses this site as a guest.  He's shooting a Fordney styled .45 Cal flinter I made for him back in the 80's.  Next is Len McCrea.  He's got an Isaac Haines in .54 cal. with a Getz 42" bbl.  Then there's bro Daryl, and he seems to have described his rifle already.  He bought it from Jim at Dixon's Fayre in '09.  Finally, the kid, with his JP Beck .50 cal and a B weight 44" bbl.  I built it for Leatherbelly originally, but tore it back from his grip in a weak moment.  All are flint ignition.
We built this trail in 1982 and have been sending lead down its shooting lanes continuously ever since.  Some of the targets are original to that date.  Daryl posted a picture of the 'fox' at station #13, which has been retired and replaced with a weeping heart.  Those of you who commented on old friends doing what they enjoy most have hit the nail squarely.  As much as shooting is a personal challenge, the competition and camaraderie is what it is all about.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
and winning

;)
Daryl

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
Shucks,Daryl, winning be good, but still bein around to kibbitz our buds is way more satisfying, and more than compensates for old weak eyes. Many memories,many. Have a great day,keep warm,y'all. Dave F 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:34:21 PM by mountainman70 »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »
We do have fun on the trail. It is indeed a gathering of close friends.
More fun in the summer time - maybe.
I fondly remember this New Years Day shoot. It was -14C or about 6.8F
and there were a bunch of us 7. I took the picture. The fellow shooting, now passes by 8 years, my hunting partner for
many years prior. He's shooting a .54 S. Hawken he built back in the mid 70's.  The trail we're standing on is well packed down.
The young lady who is holding my rifle, elected to get the pulley rope for the flying goose target that Brad is shooting at. When she stepped off the trail, she
went down to just above her waist in the snow, but wading over to a tree, was able to grab the rope. Due to the depth of the snow, the goose was only
visible for about 1/2 it's travel, then disappeared into the snow.  The young lad squatting in the snow was a bit cold - wearing a good jacket (one of Brad's)
but was also wearing jeans and running shoes.

Daryl

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 02:34:26 AM »
I would love to join one of these outings.

Nobody, while on their death-bed, ever regrets spending too much time in the woods with good friends.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 07:07:08 AM »
Looks like you guys had a good time. Winter has been a mess here in Chetwynd. The lake hasn't frozen up enough to get out on it. There's snow around, but more ice and frozen slush than anything.

Offline little joe

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
Wheres the fire and coffee pot?

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »
...at the BonVoyage Restaurant, where after the event, we assemble for more fun, and food.
D. Taylor Sapergia