Author Topic: 1840's Style Dagger...the Knife from $#*!  (Read 1527 times)

Offline tippit

1840's Style Dagger...the Knife from $#*!
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:24 AM »
I started this dagger last spring.  As I was straightening it out of the quench, I broke the tang.

So I took it back to our home around Boston and welded the tang back.

Then my wirehaired Dachshund came down with acute leukemia.  She was my best ever blood tracking dog and friend.  I took care of her for 6 weeks until I had to let her go. I lost interest in just about everything including finishing up the dagger (my first dagger).

Fast forward to December.  I slotted an oval guard to fit through the tang.  As I started to assemble the dagger, the tang broke again.  I was just about ready to throw the whole project down the toilet.

But I decided to slot a 3/8 bolt, tack weld the guard to the blade, and weld the bolt to the nub of the broken tang while keeping the blade cool in a wet towel.
Finally Finished!!  Dagger OAL 13 inches with 7 1/2 blade from an old file, guard is mild steel, and handle is small elk antler.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:52:00 AM by tippit »

Offline Elnathan

Re: 1840's Style Dagger...the Knife from $#*!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 02:04:47 AM »
Nice. I'm glad you were able to salvage the project.

I broke the blade of my first attempt at a dagger right down the middle, and had to make a new one. I then ended up making every other piece for it at least twice before I got an acceptable part..I guess daggers just have to be contrary, huh?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 04:17:11 PM »
Looks like it came out rather nice!  Sometimes the projects you have to “work through” are the most rewarding in the end.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:48 AM »
Goes to show you, never say never and never give up. Nice work BTW.